jsj1992

NBI 221G. Please help :(

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone. I was interviewed on Oct 07 with my K2 and was given a 221G due to nbi no criminal record remark. Both our status are still ready for interview. Last friday, nov 21, i received an email from usem that they would be needing me to undergo an interview at nbi manila for the letter of explanation. Is there anything else i need to give the nbi besides the court dismissal letter?

A little back story: it was a theft case (petty shoplifting) almost 3yrs ago but was immediately dismissed after couple hearings. Will it affect my visa approval? Anyone here with the same case as mine (theft)? And does anyone know someone who got denied because of that? I'm really worried that a stupid thing i did when i was a teenager may affect my visa application now. But i've been in the us last year for 6months under a J1 visa so i think that's a plus because i've been in their country and had good record there. I even have tax return from them last year from working.

I hope anyone could give me some advice and tell me their experience. I know this has been talked about here a lot but I just need some peace of mind right now I'm really worried :(

Thank you so much to everyone who'll reply...

If you think that the cause of your 221g is your theft case and you know that it was immediately dismissed then get the documents that showing it is dismissed from where the case was filed. Tell them that you need it for your Visa Application in the US. When you got the documents, bring/send (mae sure you have your personal copy as well) it to the NBI during your interview with them and they will send the information and letter to the USEM Manila clearing out your name and from there the USEM will process the visa.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone. I was interviewed on Oct 07 with my K2 and was given a 221G due to nbi no criminal record remark. Both our status are still ready for interview. Last friday, nov 21, i received an email from usem that they would be needing me to undergo an interview at nbi manila for the letter of explanation. Is there anything else i need to give the nbi besides the court dismissal letter?

A little back story: it was a theft case (petty shoplifting) almost 3yrs ago but was immediately dismissed after couple hearings. Will it affect my visa approval? Anyone here with the same case as mine (theft)? And does anyone know someone who got denied because of that? I'm really worried that a stupid thing i did when i was a teenager may affect my visa application now. But i've been in the us last year for 6months under a J1 visa so i think that's a plus because i've been in their country and had good record there. I even have tax return from them last year from working.

I hope anyone could give me some advice and tell me their experience. I know this has been talked about here a lot but I just need some peace of mind right now I'm really worried :(

Thank you so much to everyone who'll reply...

Bring any documentation you have from the court hearing to NBI with you. I doubt it will be an issue once everything is done.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

With your court papers showing the dismissal you will have smooth sailing. My wife had 10 cases that she had to dig back more than 10 years at her city court house. She got the papers and showed up in front of the NBI. They looked over the paperwork and were satisfied and returned the 221(g) back to USEM. 2 weeks later she had her visa in hand and ready to travel.

Relax.... yours sounds like a "slam dunk".

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

With your court papers showing the dismissal you will have smooth sailing. My wife had 10 cases that she had to dig back more than 10 years at her city court house. She got the papers and showed up in front of the NBI. They looked over the paperwork and were satisfied and returned the 221(g) back to USEM. 2 weeks later she had her visa in hand and ready to travel.

Relax.... yours sounds like a "slam dunk".

Thanks everyone for replying. I'm being so paranoid and reading a lot about this online. Apparently, shoplifting/theft is considered crime involving moral turpitude which can greatly affect visa eligibility. I'm worried that I might get denied because of this. I'm so embarrassed at what i did but there's nothing i can do to take it back but man up to all the consequences. Will it really be "that big" of a deal even if its just a petty theft and is dismissed already? If i do get approved (crossing fingers), will it affect my obtaining a green card? I need someone who had gone through the same situation as mine with a petty theft that got an approval/denial. This is killing me so bad :(

Timeline

I just went to NBI earlier and got a new letter of dismissal from the court where I was charged before heading there. There wasn't really any formal interview at the NBI. They just had some papers from USEM and they just asked for my court dismissal letter and have me sign it. The officer in charge told me they would be forwarding it to the embassy hopefully this friday if its already signed by the director and everything was set.

I remember asking the CO (window 63 if I remember it clearly) if my case will affect my visa issuance. He told me they would just need a letter of explanation from NBI and if everything's ok he said they would start processing my visa. He said he doesn't see any reason to why i would get denied from this as long as i comply with the additional requirement (atleast that's what i heard). The CO that interviewed me was really nice. Will he still be the one reviewing it until the end or does it fall under a different CO?

Ugh i hate this. I'm being so paranoid and i hate thinking i would never be with my love back there in the US. ?

Timeline

case was dismissed... relax, be patient... all will be fine

I'm sorry for being so persistent but what about it being a crime of moral turpitude? I've read somewhere online about filing for a waiver? I do hope i won't be needing that.

Timeline

Key working is CONVICTION of a crime... your case was dismissed... yes? Stop beating a dead horse. ;)

Defining “Moral Turpitude”

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86942.pdf

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I remember wife doing the same thing you are.... making yourself crazy because you read this and then you read that and someone says this2062.gif and pretty soon your in a tizzy. 2066.gif You are making more out of this than you should. STOP READING. 2047.gif Let the system work and you get some patience and have a drink. 2090.gif In due time you will have your visa.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

I remember wife doing the same thing you are.... making yourself crazy because you read this and then you read that and someone says this2062.gif and pretty soon your in a tizzy. 2066.gif You are making more out of this than you should. STOP READING. 2047.gif Let the system work and you get some patience and have a drink. 2090.gif In due time you will have your visa.

Key working is CONVICTION of a crime... your case was dismissed... yes? Stop beating a dead horse. ;)

Defining Moral Turpitude

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86942.pdf

Thank you so much, Hank and Greenbaum!! What are we gonna do without you guys here, you really are angels of VJ!! ? I'm not really worrying about when the visa will come but i do worry about whether its gonna be approved or not. I don't care if it arrives after a month or two or three just as long as i get my visa and be back there with my love!! Please pray for me and hope you won't get tired helping everyone here in VJ. Will keep updating this post. I know this isn't the last time I'll need your help :)

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Update:

USEM received the letter of explanation from NBI two weeks ago. My ceac status still shows its ready for interview but the date keeps changing and the last it was opened was Dec 10. It was just so frustrating that it won't even change to ready as open case or administrative processing.

On the other hand, if the case is denied, does it still go on administrative processing or straight from ready to denied?

I'm so worried and nervous about this journey.

Timeline

Update:

USEM received the letter of explanation from NBI two weeks ago. My ceac status still shows its ready for interview but the date keeps changing and the last it was opened was Dec 10. It was just so frustrating that it won't even change to ready as open case or administrative processing.

On the other hand, if the case is denied, does it still go on administrative processing or straight from ready to denied?

I'm so worried and nervous about this journey.

The date will change every time someone opens your case file on their computer.... that is a good thing. Just be patient.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

The date will change every time someone opens your case file on their computer.... that is a good thing. Just be patient.

Eeeek!! I'm so excited i just checked my status and it says case is open and come back after two business days. I'm so excited as this was the first change I've had since my Oct 07 interview!! Yay please pray for me everyone!! Keeping my fingers crossed that me and my k2 get approved :)

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi there Francine, did you receive your visa yet? Or any update on your status? We are on the same boat, i want to know how long an applicant wait for the visa with an nbi no criminal record issue? Thanks and hope by this time you have your visa already.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.