SHARES
icon-social-twitter-35px.png
icon-social-facebook-35px.png
icon-social-google-35px.png
icon-social-linkedin-35px.png
icon-social-email-35px.png
icon-social-share-nobox-35px.png
COMMENTSJoin the Discussion
<p>Immigration reform poses political risks: Poll</p> <p>CNBC's John Harwood reports a recent poll shows President Obama and new members of Congress are on a collision course over changes in U.S. immigration laws.</p>

Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn warns there could be not only a political firestorm but acts of civil disobedience and even violence in reaction to President Obama's executive order on immigration Thursday.

"The country's going to go nuts, because they're going to see it as a move outside the authority of the president, and it's going to be a very serious situation," Coburn said on Capital Download. "You're going to see — hopefully not — but you could see instances of anarchy. ... You could see violence."

Read More Immigration puts Obama at political risk: NBC-WSJ poll

101276157-184769221r.530x298.jpg?v=13873
Getty Images
Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.

Coburn, 66, is a conservative Republican but one who has a personal relationship with Obama. They entered the Senate in the same class, elected in 2004, and the new senators from opposite ends of the political spectrum and their spouses immediately hit it off at an orientation dinner. Last year, the president wrote a tribute in Time magazine to Coburn as "someone who speaks his mind (and) sticks to his principles."

More From USA Today:
Gunman shoots 3 students at Florida State, is killed
Obama uses veto pen sparingly, but could that change?
Snow days will become cyber days for some students

"I really like the guy," Coburn, 66, told USA TODAY's weekly video newsmaker series Wednesday. "I thought he's neat, and I think Michelle's a neat lady."

That history gives Coburn's stark assessment a special sting. On immigration, he accuses Obama of acting like "an autocratic leader that's going to disregard what the Constitution says and make law anyway." He says changes in immigration policy require passage by Congress, not just the president's signature — a charge the White House disputes and on which legal experts disagree.

"Instead of having the rule of law handling in our country today, now we're starting to have the rule of rulers, and that's the total antithesis of what this country was founded on," Coburn says. "Here's how people think: Well, if the law doesn't apply to the president ... then why should it apply to me?"

Coburn, who also served three terms in the House of Representatives, is retiring two years before his second Senate term is up as he battles a recurrence of cancer. He has been a leading deficit hawk, nicknamed "Dr. No" for his steadfast opposition to spending and his blunt-spoken manner.

Read More The big risk of GOP vs. Obama immigration battle: A shutdown

Though he says both parties deserve some of the blame for Washington's dysfunction, he argues that the president has the ability to chart a different path. Solid Republican control of Congress in the wake of this month's midterm elections could make it easier to deal with an issue such as the structural problems associated with the deficit. Making the compromises necessary for that "requires divided government," he says.

"If I were in his office, I'd say, if you want to have a successful second term, dig down, swallow your pride, get what you can get, compromise on everything you can for the best interests of the country," he says. "Bring us back together."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102203826#.

The Republicans are war hungry. They are crying for civil unrest in the U.S. How pathetic.

Filed: Other Timeline

The Republicans are war hungry. They are crying for civil unrest in the U.S. How pathetic.

Not just hungry, but famished. We not only bought our own food, but found an emperor who thinks were going to finance Pedro and Maria's dinner too.

It's okay if he's not a fan of taco bell. :rofl:

The Republicans are going crazy. Just like the crazy judge in Texas that said if Obama got re-elected there was going to be a civil war. Why are they always trying to declare war on American soil?

Show me a quote from either of these above characters asking for a civil war in the U.S. I mean it needs to come out of their personal mouth. Implications don't count.

As long as the emperor and those who make his clothes continue to fart in the faces of conservatives, then many of his followers will continue to be happy. Another segment of his followers could give a hipposhit what he does just as long as the pigment of his skin is black. The words that come from the emperor's sewing crew make no difference in the opinion of his followers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Like the old add campaign, "Run for the Border". Just wait until this gets telegraphed south into Mexico and Central America. It will be interpreted as Obama granting another amnesty if you're in America. Good thing they got the border all secured and what not. :dancing:

As long as the emperor and those who make his clothes continue to fart in the faces of conservatives, then many of his followers will continue to be happy. Another segment of his followers could give a hipposhit what he does just as long as the pigment of his skin is black. The words that come from the emperor's sewing crew make no difference in the opinion of his followers.

Please show me people that are saying they follow Obama because he is black. Is this the same for his white supporters? Or are his white supporters following him because he is white?

Like the old add campaign, "Run for the Border". Just wait until this gets telegraphed south into Mexico and Central America. It will be interpreted as Obama granting another amnesty if you're in America. Good thing they got the border all secured and what not. :dancing:

Show me where the gap is? :rofl:

Please show me people that are saying they follow Obama because he is black. Is this the same for his white supporters? Or are his white supporters following him because he is white?

Why shore maam. Hold your ears folks, it's showtime!

kf5qh3.jpg