Duckpuddle

DS-160 confusion

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have endured the wait of the TSC and have received our NOA-2 and have gotten our NVC case number via letter and are preparing for the embassy interview.

I am the petitioner here in the US and my fiancé is Filipino in Manila. We will be working with the embassy in Manila. After reading the embassy letter several times, we have figured out the visa fee payment process and are now about to embark on filling out the online version of the DS-160. Today, I have these questions, who knows what I will be wondering about tomorrow. :)

Do we need to assign me as an agent, or can I as the petitioner help my fiancé fill out the DS-160 form? I imagine that I can work on the form save it and then he can open it and edit and save it. Then he can submit it when it is completed. I think there is a part about having help with the form and we would put my name as the petitioner there.

My other question is about the invoice number. What is this and who generates it? Is this the same thing as the receipt number? (This bit may be specific to the Philippines where you need to print out a deposit slip, go to the bank, pay the fee and get a stamp on the deposit slip which now becomes the receipt.)

My sympathies to all those non-native English speakers trying to navigate this process. I thought it would be getting easier after the NOA-2, but the paperwork and to-do list starts all over again when you begin the process of filing for visa itself.

Thanks for the input.

Andy.

Same sex fiancé K1 petition (Filipino/American)2014-06-30 - I-129F UPS package received Lewisville, TX2014-07-02 - NOA 1 issued, received paper copy 7/102014-07-03 - Check converted to EFT and processed2014-07-08 - Status change from acceptance to review (via USCIS receipt look up)2014-10-01 - RFE issued (via text, email, no details)2014-10-07 - RFE received (via USPS)2014-10-08 - Requested evidence sent overnight (via USPS)2014-10-10 - Status change to RFE response review (via text - twice! - from 2 different phone numbers, email)2014-10-16 - NOA 2 issued: Approved! (via text, and email)2014-10-20 - Received NAO 2 paper certificate2014-10-21 - Received notice of post decision activity: case shipped to NVC2014-11-04 - Received letter from NVC with embassy case number 2014-11-30 - DS-160 completed, electronic confirmation page received2014-12-05 - Interviewed scheduled (2015-01-06)2015-01-06 - Interview: Approved!2015-02-02 - POE Boston<p>2015-02-13 - Married before Justice of the Peace !

Timeline

I found the answer to one part of my question. Yes, we can both work on the application and he can submit it as long as I am noted as given assistance.

This FAQ is from the Department of State web site:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/forms/ds-160--online-nonimmigrant-visa-application/frequently-asked-questions.html

Can a third party complete the form on my behalf? Who is exempt from signing the form?

If an applicant is illiterate or unable to complete the application, the applicant must be assisted by a third party. The third party must be identified on the Sign and Submit page of the application. While the third party can assist the applicant in completing the application, he or she must instruct the applicant on how to endorse the application on his or her own behalf by clicking the Sign Application button.

Same sex fiancé K1 petition (Filipino/American)2014-06-30 - I-129F UPS package received Lewisville, TX2014-07-02 - NOA 1 issued, received paper copy 7/102014-07-03 - Check converted to EFT and processed2014-07-08 - Status change from acceptance to review (via USCIS receipt look up)2014-10-01 - RFE issued (via text, email, no details)2014-10-07 - RFE received (via USPS)2014-10-08 - Requested evidence sent overnight (via USPS)2014-10-10 - Status change to RFE response review (via text - twice! - from 2 different phone numbers, email)2014-10-16 - NOA 2 issued: Approved! (via text, and email)2014-10-20 - Received NAO 2 paper certificate2014-10-21 - Received notice of post decision activity: case shipped to NVC2014-11-04 - Received letter from NVC with embassy case number 2014-11-30 - DS-160 completed, electronic confirmation page received2014-12-05 - Interviewed scheduled (2015-01-06)2015-01-06 - Interview: Approved!2015-02-02 - POE Boston<p>2015-02-13 - Married before Justice of the Peace !

Timeline

I found the answer to one part of my question. Yes, we can both work on the application and he can submit it as long as I am noted as given assistance.

This FAQ is from the Department of State web site:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/forms/ds-160--online-nonimmigrant-visa-application/frequently-asked-questions.html

Can a third party complete the form on my behalf? Who is exempt from signing the form?

If an applicant is illiterate or unable to complete the application, the applicant must be assisted by a third party. The third party must be identified on the Sign and Submit page of the application. While the third party can assist the applicant in completing the application, he or she must instruct the applicant on how to endorse the application on his or her own behalf by clicking the Sign Application button.

U can actually do it in be half of your fiancee'but be sure you have all the information about her.after u printed the confirmation page u can send it to her.it just the confirmation page that she needs to bring in the embassy...just my opinion.

But to be safe call the manila embassy regarding the matter

Edited by Ryan H

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have endured the wait of the TSC and have received our NOA-2 and have gotten our NVC case number via letter and are preparing for the embassy interview.

I am the petitioner here in the US and my fiancé is Filipino in Manila. We will be working with the embassy in Manila. After reading the embassy letter several times, we have figured out the visa fee payment process and are now about to embark on filling out the online version of the DS-160. Today, I have these questions, who knows what I will be wondering about tomorrow. :)

Do we need to assign me as an agent, or can I as the petitioner help my fiancé fill out the DS-160 form? I imagine that I can work on the form save it and then he can open it and edit and save it. Then he can submit it when it is completed. I think there is a part about having help with the form and we would put my name as the petitioner there.

My other question is about the invoice number. What is this and who generates it? Is this the same thing as the receipt number? (This bit may be specific to the Philippines where you need to print out a deposit slip, go to the bank, pay the fee and get a stamp on the deposit slip which now becomes the receipt.)

My sympathies to all those non-native English speakers trying to navigate this process. I thought it would be getting easier after the NOA-2, but the paperwork and to-do list starts all over again when you begin the process of filing for visa itself.

Thanks for the input.

Andy.

No you do not need to be assigned as an agent. Yes you can complete the DS-160 for your fiancee, but only your fiancee is authorized to submit it, so after you have completed and saved the info have your fiancee access the DS-160 you saved so that she can review and then hit the submit button.

K-1 doesn't have an invoice number. Where did it ask for an invoice number?

For details on the process in the Philippines for the K-1 follow the flashing arrow below.

You will better answers related to USEM in the Philippines forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

U can actually do it in be half of your fiancee'but be sure you have all the information about her.after u printed the confirmation page u can send it to her.it just the confirmation page that she needs to bring in the embassy...just my opinion.

But to be safe call the manila embassy regarding the matter

Actually it is the law that the applicant submit the form, others can assist with completing but only the applicant can submit it.

"NOTE: Other people can assist you with your visa application. Note that under U.S. law (22 C.F.R. 41.103) you must electronically sign and submit your own application unless you qualify for an exemption. Even if someone else helped you complete the application, you (the applicant) must click the “Sign Application” button, or your application may not be accepted."

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Actually it is the law that the applicant submit the form, others can assist with completing but only the applicant can submit it.

"NOTE: Other people can assist you with your visa application. Note that under U.S. law (22 C.F.R. 41.103) you must electronically sign and submit your own application unless you qualify for an exemption. Even if someone else helped you complete the application, you (the applicant) must click the “Sign Application” button, or your application may not be accepted."

Got it. Thanks. I'll start the application, note the application number, save it and when completed then HE, my fiance, can submit the form.

I'm not sure where I say the need for the invoice number, but I too (now) don't think it is necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Andy

And yes, we are two men. Its the 21st century after all... :goofy:

Timeline

Got it. Thanks. I'll start the application, note the application number, save it and when completed then HE, my fiance, can submit the form.

I'm not sure where I say the need for the invoice number, but I too (now) don't think it is necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Andy

And yes, we are two men. Its the 21st century after all... :goofy:

:unsure: ... still doesn't change the law. ;)

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

:unsure: ... still doesn't change the law. ;)

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I'm the petitioner, who is going to help the applicant fill out the DS-160. Then the applicant, my fiance, will submit the form.

What law is not being followed?

Timeline

Happy to know that there are lots of same sex couple filing for k1 visa too from the Philippines (coz we're on the same boat) I feel like I'm not alone, and it feels weird coz most couples here are 'normal' couples. Just saying :)) good luck in our journey

Timeline

If you are in love and trying to navigate this process so you can be together and build a life together then I think you are pretty normal in general and for this crowd in particular. From the US government and the Filipino people, I have not experienced on whit of abnormality.

This should probably be its own topic, maybe in the Philipino sub forum.

But good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.