bebop + rocksteady

Things to do to make my Canadian feel at home.

64 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Seriously, I was unaware of the things that are not in the US that Canadians depend on. Like poutine (I cannot find any good mozz cheese here) or Ketchup chips. :ranting: I can't wait to go home and pig out on canadian delicacys. (I can't believe I just made ketchup chips a delicacy) :blink::lol:

Timeline - Please view my timeline and PM me reguarding any questions you may have. =)

Just a silly girl from Canuckastian. =O

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember one of the first times my fiance was with me in the candy aisle in the US... he said he had a taste for smarties. I went and picked up a bag of OUR smarties, you know those tart fruity little powdery candy bits? Needless to say the US smarties were definitely not what he was looking for. When he described his smarties, they just sounded like M&Ms to me... :pop:

haha your "Smarties" are our "Rockets" and we give them out at Halloween! And our Smarties are barely similar to M&M's. Gene bought me some M&M's in lieu of Smarties, and they're horrible. They don't melt in your hand! That's what's so wonderful about Smarties! And...you eat the red ones last. hehe Anyone remember wetting a red Smartie and using it for lipstick as a kid?

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, American Niagara wines are not the same as some of the good Niagara wines - love Chateau des Charmes! Pelee Island and southwestern Ontario also has some good wines and no, they are not available here. We did however, find some excellent Georgian wineries, in particular Habersham. They have a wine made from muscadines that is out of this world! Interestingly enough, they are not allowed to sell wines through any other means than in person which means going to the winery itself or one of its outlets to purchase them, nor are they allowed to export the wine. Too bad! However, we bought a mixed case last time so that is keeping us nicely supplied until our next visit.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

I"ve been lamenting the lack of good mead here in North Carolina, and there's a state law that you can't import mead for some idiotic reason. There's a meadery down by London area that a friend brought me a bottle once that was really nice. And the meads they have (or rather had) at Ontario Renn Faire were really good! The mead at NC Faire is really really sweet and I couldn't drink it. I need to find a meadery around here somewhere, or learn how to make it myself. I don't think they sell any in the ABC stores.

Yes, you can probably find some items and have them shipped cheaper than from Canadian Favourites, but there's no other site that seems to have *so many* of what we Canucks usually miss most from home than that site. (tho I haven't checked Amazon yet). When I needs my Shreddies, I order up a whole box of stuff all at once, so the shipping doesn't hurt so much.

I have recently found crumpets in the frozen food section here in town though, so not all hope is lost ;) And I need to get up to World Market to check them out, but they're an hour away and weekends are short. Maybe when I run out of custard powder.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I miss ketchup chips already :(

do none of the states have Ketchup chips?! I never noticed when I was there. If not, man are my kids gonna be peeeeeeeevvvvvved! :(

oh the little things we sweat about--hee hee--takes our minds of the big things

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I remember one of the first times my fiance was with me in the candy aisle in the US... he said he had a taste for smarties. I went and picked up a bag of OUR smarties, you know those tart fruity little powdery candy bits? Needless to say the US smarties were definitely not what he was looking for. When he described his smarties, they just sounded like M&Ms to me... :pop:

haha your "Smarties" are our "Rockets" and we give them out at Halloween! And our Smarties are barely similar to M&M's. Gene bought me some M&M's in lieu of Smarties, and they're horrible. They don't melt in your hand! That's what's so wonderful about Smarties! And...you eat the red ones last. hehe Anyone remember wetting a red Smartie and using it for lipstick as a kid?

Carla (F)

red smartie lipstick! oh how I remember--and the gaudy blush too! ahhh the good ol' days!

Timeline

Heh, I was just talking to my husband on the phone about this thread and mentioned ketchup chips (my favourite) and all dressed and he said, "what the hell are ketchup and all dressed chips???". I'll bring some on my next visit for him. :D

Oh, does anyone know why Campbell's tomato soup is sold on Canadian Favourites? Does the Canadian version taste different than the U.S. version?

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline
Or if you're near a World Market you can shop there for stuff that we'd be used to having in our Canadian grocery stores, but not necessarily here in US stores. Especially if you're like me who moved from a *very* multi-cultural area to a completely white bread town. Complete with high fructose corn syrup and all those lovely preservatives that somehow make the bread last a month open on the counter without going stale or green :huh:

Sweet! I just checked and there's one in the city I'll be moving to. :)

red smartie lipstick! oh how I remember--and the gaudy blush too! ahhh the good ol' days!

I did that too! :D

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, the Campbell's tomato soup down here tastes different. They may make it from a different type of tomato or something but I don't like it as much - it seems more acidic. I don't have a can here to see what the ingredients are - heck, maybe they add high fructose corn syrup to it or something! They seem to add it to everything else.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I'll have to add that to my order list after I move! :)

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: Other Timeline
Oh, does anyone know why Campbell's tomato soup is sold on Canadian Favourites? Does the Canadian version taste different than the U.S. version?

Because I emailed them and asked them to :D

Seriously, I was doing my bi-annual shopping in early December and noticed they had a bunch of Campbell's soups but no tomato, so I emailed and asked them to add it and she did! I ordred 6 cans. It really is different here in the US, because of the freakin high fructose corn syrup. Pretty much everything you're used to back home if they have it here, will be full of it. And it changes the taste and texture. There are some foods and drinks that I just cannot eat or drink down here, and its because they're just so much sweeter.

Even my hubby says the Canadian KD is better than the US Mac n Cheese. I need to buy a case of it on my next order I think! Same as tomato soup. Its his favourite, and I'd rather eat the stuff that isn't laden with HFCS. He thinks I'm nurotic about it, but I honestly do believe it is not at all healthy.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Stupid HFCS!!!! I am sooooo going to be ordering stuff from Canadian Favourites after I move!

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just ordered a carton of Canadian Cigs

Havent had a decent Cig in 20 months..........

$43.00 for 8 pacs of cigs. My friend told me a pac of cigs are $11.63 a pac now at home.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I just ordered a carton of Canadian Cigs

Havent had a decent Cig in 20 months..........

$43.00 for 8 pacs of cigs. My friend told me a pac of cigs are $11.63 a pac now at home.

bad bad girl!! Time out for you!! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There are a lot of things from Canada that I will miss when I return to America land, but theres a lot of great things in America I miss while I'm here too-- Like Bush's baked beans, Paul Newman's spaghetti sauce, Uncle ben's wildrice (it does exist here, but is sooo much better in the US) and 100 Grand candy bars!

But what I miss most about the US is mexican food- There is barely any in Canada and the very few chains and resteraunts that do exist suck a lot. Its definately not the same.

Also, it may be just the comparison between Minneapolis and Regina, but in general I think a lot of the fast food chains in US are far superior (well as superior as fast food can get) to Canada's.. For example, in Minneapolis the KFCs have corn on the cob, bisquits, mashed potatos, mac and cheese, and baked beans. I haven't seen that here. And the Taco bells have much much more variety too.

Anyway, its really weird what little differences can really make you miss a place. I definately recommend to stock up on your favorites ;)

K1 Visa Journey:

Jan 12, 2007- I-129F Sent

Jan 17, 2007- I-129F has arrived at the NSC

Jan 24, 2007- NOA1 date

Jan 27, 2007- Check cashed by CSC

Jan 29, 2007- Paper NOA1 recieved (at permenant US address)

May 1, 2007- NOA2

May 16, 2007- At the NVC

May 18, 2007- Left NVC

May 30, 2007- Packet 3 arrives

May 31, 2007- Faxed Packet 3 stuff back

July 9, 2007- Interview at Vancouver

July 10, 2007- Visa recieved!

July 18, 2007- US entry

August 25, 2007- Wedding <3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.