Mexes

EAD expedite request denied without explanation

5 posts in this topic

Hi. My EAD is expiring soon and I've received a good job offer on which a lot depends at the moment so I decided to expedite my EAD renewal. I called the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 and as a reason I chose a first category, severe financial loss to company or individual (http://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria).

A couple of days later I received a mail that expedite request was denied since I didn't provide any evidence for it. However, they didn't ask me to provide any evidence over the phone when I contacted them over this request.

Can you please advice me how to proceed with this situation? I need my EAD as soon as possible. Thank you.

After I've read that many people received help from their congressman's office, today I decided to ask for help my congress representative.

I went there, gave him all my documents and explained situation and they didn't want to do anything to expedite the process. I was shocked. So many people received their EAD's after their congress representative called or faxed documents so I was hoping they would try to help. They said they don't do requests to expedite work permits.

I don't know should I now go to other congress representative or what? Can you give me some advice?

Filed: Timeline

I see you have multiple posts about this around the forum and are struggling with this so Im going to give you some advice, however you dont have a timeline so its going to be a bit general.,.

Seems like you have been reading a bit and saw that people have gotten help from congressmen with expedites. Yes. They dont usually help with work (EAD) situations, but they do help with AP (advance parole/travel) and its a combo card- So sometimes people do apply for emergency AP and instead of getting just the emergency AP documents they get the combo card rushed out instead, sometimes they get the paper docs though. You never know.

You do have to take into account it is the holiday season. The same dept that does EADs does AP and all of a sudden there is a big big rush of 'emergencies' this time of year. People who were waiting on travel auth are suddenly having deathly ill relatives and funerals. Couples who have been one income families are feeling the holiday pinch and are now screaming financial hardship to get that second income as well.

You seem to be applying for a renewal of your EAD card as your GC is still being processed. Im not sure why your GC is taking so long. They dont usually take over a year. Perhaps there is something unique about your case? You really should look into your case if you havent because it is odd to need to renew your EAD... Anyway.

There are multiple ways to file for an expedite. Infopass, phone and I guess mail.. But no one really does mail anymore. Each way has pros and cons.

So a basic overview is you never get to deal directly with the service center that processes and ultimately decides on your expedite. You only get to speak to the middle man. And like stated above you can choose your middle man to be the infopass, the phone center or the mail system.

So what happened to you? You chose phone. You called up and got the ball rolling. The phone center took general info and sent it over to the expedite man via computer. Then you hung up. The expedite man read it maybe hours or a day later. He reviewed it and said huh I need some more info and left a note back on it that said please send more info to XXXX fax number. Well guess what. You werent on the phone anymore- it was the next day!!. The phone center wasnt going to go back in and check it and call you back now were they? So the message just sat there and sat there. The expedite man did follow back up on it - probably because unlike the phone center his computer prompts him to and no surprise you didnt send in any additional info so he denied you.. game over..

Infopass basically works the same way. You make an appt via the website except you bring your proof with you. The infopass agent will contact an expedite man and send over your stuff while you are in the office. Sometimes in emergency AP situations people have gotten answers while they waited but I doubt it in the case of a work card. You can probably expect to be sent home and told they will contact you in a few days. Note- 'they' means the infopass employee. When you go to infopass and file it this way you can only get info from infopass. When you file over the phone you can only get info about it over the phone.

Your middleman is the only one that knows whats going on with the request they filed. Dont go to infopass and have the guy file a expedite and then think the phone center is going to know about it. So if infopass is faaaar from you and you cant run back and forth to it, stick with the phone center.

Going back to the phone center. For the phone center to work. First they have to get it going by opening it. So theyre going to tell you you have to wait for it to be created before they can do anything. They usually give you some BS about wait 3 days. Dont wait 3 days. Wait 1 and then call back. Once its open then they can request a fax number if its not there in the notes. Like I said they play middle man, so its very hard to give you a play by play of what occurs because its always different.

You basically want to tell them you want to submit documents/evidence and need the fax number. Once you get it fax in the stuff and then wait. You can check your status online and see if card production is changed instead of calling to see if your approved after you fax. However if it doesnt change you should call again for an update, maybe you can send additional info.

If the phone center denies you, then consider applying through infopass. Several people have been denied expedites on the phone but successful in person or vice versa.

1-write a cover letter with a proof of job offer and send it to the service center that currently process your EAD.

2- if the congressman office was not helpful, you have 2 senators that are serving your state , you can request help from them as well [they do the same thing]

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

• 2 weeks later...

I see you have multiple posts about this around the forum and are struggling with this so Im going to give you some advice, however you dont have a timeline so its going to be a bit general.,.

Seems like you have been reading a bit and saw that people have gotten help from congressmen with expedites. Yes. They dont usually help with work (EAD) situations, but they do help with AP (advance parole/travel) and its a combo card- So sometimes people do apply for emergency AP and instead of getting just the emergency AP documents they get the combo card rushed out instead, sometimes they get the paper docs though. You never know.

You do have to take into account it is the holiday season. The same dept that does EADs does AP and all of a sudden there is a big big rush of 'emergencies' this time of year. People who were waiting on travel auth are suddenly having deathly ill relatives and funerals. Couples who have been one income families are feeling the holiday pinch and are now screaming financial hardship to get that second income as well.

You seem to be applying for a renewal of your EAD card as your GC is still being processed. Im not sure why your GC is taking so long. They dont usually take over a year. Perhaps there is something unique about your case? You really should look into your case if you havent because it is odd to need to renew your EAD... Anyway.

There are multiple ways to file for an expedite. Infopass, phone and I guess mail.. But no one really does mail anymore. Each way has pros and cons.

So a basic overview is you never get to deal directly with the service center that processes and ultimately decides on your expedite. You only get to speak to the middle man. And like stated above you can choose your middle man to be the infopass, the phone center or the mail system.

So what happened to you? You chose phone. You called up and got the ball rolling. The phone center took general info and sent it over to the expedite man via computer. Then you hung up. The expedite man read it maybe hours or a day later. He reviewed it and said huh I need some more info and left a note back on it that said please send more info to XXXX fax number. Well guess what. You werent on the phone anymore- it was the next day!!. The phone center wasnt going to go back in and check it and call you back now were they? So the message just sat there and sat there. The expedite man did follow back up on it - probably because unlike the phone center his computer prompts him to and no surprise you didnt send in any additional info so he denied you.. game over..

Infopass basically works the same way. You make an appt via the website except you bring your proof with you. The infopass agent will contact an expedite man and send over your stuff while you are in the office. Sometimes in emergency AP situations people have gotten answers while they waited but I doubt it in the case of a work card. You can probably expect to be sent home and told they will contact you in a few days. Note- 'they' means the infopass employee. When you go to infopass and file it this way you can only get info from infopass. When you file over the phone you can only get info about it over the phone.

Your middleman is the only one that knows whats going on with the request they filed. Dont go to infopass and have the guy file a expedite and then think the phone center is going to know about it. So if infopass is faaaar from you and you cant run back and forth to it, stick with the phone center.

Going back to the phone center. For the phone center to work. First they have to get it going by opening it. So theyre going to tell you you have to wait for it to be created before they can do anything. They usually give you some BS about wait 3 days. Dont wait 3 days. Wait 1 and then call back. Once its open then they can request a fax number if its not there in the notes. Like I said they play middle man, so its very hard to give you a play by play of what occurs because its always different.

You basically want to tell them you want to submit documents/evidence and need the fax number. Once you get it fax in the stuff and then wait. You can check your status online and see if card production is changed instead of calling to see if your approved after you fax. However if it doesnt change you should call again for an update, maybe you can send additional info.

If the phone center denies you, then consider applying through infopass. Several people have been denied expedites on the phone but successful in person or vice versa.

Thank you for such a detailed answer. I should have already receive my green card but priority date jumped back for a year just 2-3 weeks before my interview so I got only EAD. The problem is that I am the only one working in my family so I think it is a big rush in my case because if I loose my job I really don't know what to do then.

About the call center. I didn't know expedite man contacts them if he needs proof. What is the purpose of that phone center if they just ignore the request for proof? Hmm.. So, they are asking for proof even if they know that person who made a expedite request will never contact them again. They didn't want give me a fax number of service center. When I called the service center for that info, they said they don't have fax what is pretty weird to me.

I still have a month so we'll se what will be.

1-write a cover letter with a proof of job offer and send it to the service center that currently process your EAD.

2- if the congressman office was not helpful, you have 2 senators that are serving your state , you can request help from them as well [they do the same thing]

Thank you. I will try it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.