zatarra

I-864 mistakes/missing info

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I got a response after sending my I-864 package. These are two things I need to take care of:

In Part 6. Sponsor's Income and Employment, please correct the following...
[x] Items 13.a.1. The income you enter must match the total (gross) income reported on your most recent Federal
income tax return. If you filed Form 1040EZ, use the adjusted gross income instead.
[x] You as a household member have not provided proof of your relationship to the sponsor.
Supporting Documents Missing or Incomplete
[x] You as a household member have not provided proof of your relationship to the sponsor.
These two points are in relation to my dad's I-864 form. As for the first one, I'm pretty confused. I checked the numbers on the income tax return and it's exactly as I entered on the I-864. I'm not sure what to do here.....???
As for part two, I guess I need to send in a copy of my birth certificate because that would have my dad's name on it and would prove his relationship to me.
I'm going to call NVC tomorrow. I just wanted to check in here to see if I could get some answers.

What are you filing?

You should have done an I-864

and your father should have done an I-864.

This sounds like someone did an I-864a when they shouldn't have.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline

Ok. I got through to them. That phone system is retarded, they should really change that. A copy of my birth certificate will resolve the second issue. The issue with the income tax return was actually in regards to my I-864 and not my dad's. I know what the problem is now, so I'll get it all sorted out.

The correct manner to file with was still what I suggested. Yours works but only if you include appropriate paperwork.

You're combining your income with your father's to make a household so of course you had to provide provide proof that A) you are family members and B) that you live in the same home. A joint sponsor doesn't need to do that, but a household member does. Plus that adds a person to your household count which isn't necessary unless he's already claiming you on his taxes or you need to combine your incomes to even qualify.

I'm putting this out there, not necessarily for you to change what you've done, but for others who read this thread to understand why I suggested the two I-864s instead of the I-864a.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.