LibCampFireClub

New York Cat Calls

53 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

To address your edit to the prior post before I go on:

So, he cornered them in their workplace while he performed cat calls to their face on video. Wow, the left is way desperate today.

Uh, that's exactly what he did. How am I desperate? What would you call it when someone comes up to you in a place that you are unable to leave and makes you uncomfortable?

I disagree with the content of your post almost from the first to the last syllable. What's to discuss? You're not about to change my mind, and I'm not about to change yours. Take a chill pill. Life's way to short than to expend so much energy trying to change things that cannot be changed.

Sorry, I'm sort of laughing at the fact that you have just performed the most common thing done to silence women who speak out on this matter. 'Take a chill pill.' You have now accused me of being impassioned for typing my opinions. I'm not impassioned, in fact, I'm taking a break from working on my novel and playing with my cat. I'm not angry or upset. If anything, I'm resigned to the fact that none of this will change but I feel that staying silent in my resignation represents acceptance and tacit approval of the behaviours seen in both the video posted here by you today and the NYC cat call video, behaviours of which I do not approve.

You disagree with the content of my post, then tell me a little bit about what you disagree with.

Why is it that you attempt to silence me with 'take a chill pill' when this is a forum, which by definition exists for discussion? Why have you not told RobL to take a chill pill?

Now, that is not to say that I am not a little peeved at RobL for taking a similar tactic with Karee (Karee, if you are not actually a woman and I have misread, I do apologize for misgendering you). I am in fact quite irritated that someone who is defending the right of women not to be catcalled would come down on the side where he is telling women what their feelings are and addressing perceived feelings rather than the content of their statements. Whether I agree with Karee's perspective or not, RobL should not be using this silencing tactic either and it is wrong. It does, however, prove my point that it is one of the most common silencing tactics, as it is being clearly used by both sides of the argument by men to silence the women speaking.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Timeline

FIRST, it's not MY video. It's a video conceived and created by Steven Crowder.

http://louderwithcrowder.com/

Second, if you think he's a "gentleman" then what are you complaining about?

So, he cornered them in their workplace while he performed cat calls to their face on video. Wow, the left is way desperate today.

You are making this about the left or right. This is not a left or right issue, there are not politics at play. This is about civility and respect..

You also have the reoccurring theme of editing the quotes you use from others

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Timeline

So we can all be clear on this... is the term in your head always "gentleman" in your head because you don't like men?

Not in the slightest. A majority of my close friendships have been with men, most of whom I would classify as straight up gentlemen due to the fact that they do not feel it necessary to treat me in a specific, stereotyped way because I am a woman. They do not feel that I am a machine that they must feed compliments to get my attention. They listen to me, I listen to them and we exchange ideas. I can't imagine my life without my male friends in it and I wouldn't want to. I like men. Most men I have no issue with. I have dozens of positive interactions with men at my workplace every day, both with the participants in the program I work for and the customers who come to buy lunch from the participants.

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

Filed: Other Timeline

Uh, that's exactly what he did. How am I desperate? What would you call it when someone comes up to you in a place that you are unable to leave and makes you uncomfortable?

As I stated in my previous post, we disagree on just about every level of the cat calling video, and Steven Crowder's follow up video. As for being lib-desperate, let me define it:

Lib desperate: A statement made by a liberal, which in their mind cannot be disputed. Their way is the only way of seeing it.

Timeline

As I stated in my previous post, we disagree on just about every level of the cat calling video, and Steven Crowder's follow up video. As for being lib-desperate, let me define it:

Lib desperate: A statement made by a liberal, which in their mind cannot be disputed. Their way is the only way of seeing it.

You are still not addressing any content of my posts. Please explain to me what you mean by these statements and how your statements relate back to the content of my posts, as I am in no way desperate and you have literally made no points against anything I have said.

I do not reject the statements made by any person out of hand and give them all due consideration. I have actually had my mind swayed by people I disagreed with on numerous occasions in my life and am interested in hearing your side and having a discussion. Why do you fear discussion?

What about my posts do you actively disagree with? Do you disagree that cornering a women in a workplace and saying 'hey baby, are you a good girl or are you my bad girl?' is creepy? If so, why? Do you disagree that I have something to be concerned about when men say 'what time is it?' to me when I'm walking the street, even though I have been followed by men telling me in great detail about their genitalia and how they want to put it on or in my body or even putting their hands on me and attempting to drag me away? Are these things you disagree with?

March 13, 2014 Married!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Now, that is not to say that I am not a little peeved at RobL for taking a similar tactic with Karee (Karee, if you are not actually a woman and I have misread, I do apologize for misgendering you).

He has spent a lot of time with mis-gendered people so I'm sure he won't mind at all.

You are still not addressing any content of my posts. Please explain to me what you mean by these statements and how your statements relate back to the content of my posts, as I am in no way desperate and you have literally made no points against anything I have said.

It's all very simple, and not at all complicated:

1. First video is clearly conceived and created by a militant Femi-Nazi group

2. Second video by Steven Crowder was well-done, honest and on target.

So, there ya go. This is why there are different political parties on planet earth.

Edited by ExExpat

Timeline

It's all very simple, and not at all complicated:

1. First video is clearly conceived and created by a militant Femi-Nazi group

2. Second video by Steven Crowder was well-done, honest and on target.

So, there ya go. This is why there are different political parties on planet earth.

1) Okay, I will pretend that there is no merit whatsoever to that video because of your opinions of the group who made it. I want it on record that I do disagree, that regardless of the makers of the video the content is quite accurate, but for the purposes of discussion so that I may see your side better, any further posts that I make towards you will assume that this is actually the case.

2) Why do you feel this is the case even when a woman is telling you that she would be very uncomfortable by that kind of behaviour in a work setting, where she could not leave? I am asking honestly because I do not see what you are talking about and would like for you to enlighten me.

March 13, 2014 Married!

Timeline

To address your edit to the prior post before I go on:

Sorry, I'm sort of laughing at the fact that you have just performed the most common thing done to silence women who speak out on this matter. 'Take a chill pill.' You have now accused me of being impassioned for typing my opinions. I'm not impassioned, in fact, I'm taking a break from working on my novel and playing with my cat. I'm not angry or upset. If anything, I'm resigned to the fact that none of this will change but I feel that staying silent in my resignation represents acceptance and tacit approval of the behaviours seen in both the video posted here by you today and the NYC cat call video, behaviours of which I do not approve.

You disagree with the content of my post, then tell me a little bit about what you disagree with.

Why is it that you attempt to silence me with 'take a chill pill' when this is a forum, which by definition exists for discussion? Why have you not told RobL to take a chill pill?

Now, that is not to say that I am not a little peeved at RobL for taking a similar tactic with Karee (Karee, if you are not actually a woman and I have misread, I do apologize for misgendering you). I am in fact quite irritated that someone who is defending the right of women not to be catcalled would come down on the side where he is telling women what their feelings are and addressing perceived feelings rather than the content of their statements. Whether I agree with Karee's perspective or not, RobL should not be using this silencing tactic either and it is wrong. It does, however, prove my point that it is one of the most common silencing tactics, as it is being clearly used by both sides of the argument by men to silence the women speaking.

Why have you not told RobL to take a chill pill? He kind of did in a different way

Fair enough on the Silencing technique being offbounds. The context is the statement "People need to grow the F up and stop trying to find reasons to be angry and offended. Life is too short."

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

1) Okay, I will pretend that there is no merit whatsoever to that video because of your opinions of the group who made it. I want it on record that I do disagree,

You are taking what's posted on this site way too seriously. I can assure you that your opinion and my opinion as expressed here on the VJ Current Events and Hot Social Topics forum does NOT even come close to making a blip on the radar of life.

Timeline

Why have you not told RobL to take a chill pill? He kind of did in a different way

Fair enough on the Silencing technique being offbounds. The context is the statement "People need to grow the F up and stop trying to find reasons to be angry and offended. Life is too short."

I do see that statement but I also know that I have said similar things and not been in the least bit upset. It's difficult to see emotional context on the internet. I, personally, would take Karee's statement to be slightly exasperated and eye rolling, but not actually angry or upset. It's a matter of 'aw heck, those silly idiots are getting all up in arms again,' the way I read it, not 'OH NO THE IDIOTS ARE GETTING ALL UP IN ARMS AGAIN MA, GET THE SHOT GUN!'

I think that, for any kind of valid discussion to occur, it's important to step back and assume, with text based communication, that most angry statements are eye rolling aw heck statements and not frothing at the mouth upset statements. The worst case scenario, if you assume that someone is doing an eye rolling 'aw heck' and they're actually frothing at the mouth, you come out looking rational and they end up frothing at the mouth more hilariously. The best way to make a frothing at the mouth rageball look stupid is to treat them politely and keep asking direct questions about their arguments as though what they are saying is absolutely reasonable.

March 13, 2014 Married!

Timeline

You are taking what's posted on this site way too seriously. I can assure you that your opinion and my opinion as expressed here on the VJ Current Events and Hot Social Topics forum does NOT even come close to making a blip on the radar of life.

No, it's not a big thing on the radar of life, but I choose to do people the courtesy of treating all people's arguments and words as though they matter to the person speaking them, because I don't believe that it's a kind or appropriate or polite thing when someone treats another person as though they don't matter.

I'm trying to be polite to you and pay you a basic, common courtesy by showing interest in your words and thoughts. Is that a problem? Do you have a problem with women being polite to you?

March 13, 2014 Married!

I'm trying to be polite to you and pay you a basic, common courtesy by showing interest in your words and thoughts. Is that a problem? Do you have a problem with women being polite to you?

I'm quite sure that in your own mind you are actually having a discussion with someone on this topic. Sorry, but I am not able to join in your delusion, but I surely support your right to live there.

:goofy:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/07/mary-spears-killed-detroit_n_5945518.html

Police say a man shot and killed a woman after she rejected his advances at an event in Detroit over the weekend. Five people were also injured during the incident.

Mary Spears, 27, was at the American Legion Joe Louis Post No. 375 on the east side of Detroit when the 38-year-old suspect allegedly approached her and began talking to her, according to WDIV.

When the suspect asked for her number, Spears, whose fiancé was also at the event,told him she was already involved with someone, WJBK reports. The suspect, however, continued harassing her, family members told the station.

Police said security took the man out of the club through the back door and escorted him to the front. After a fight broke out, the suspect allegedly took out a handgun and began shooting, killing Spears around 2 a.m. Sunday.

At one point in the video a man followed her for what, 5 minutes? That's creepy. No matter how you put it.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg