LiliBurd

USC address for I-129f

12 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding the address we should use on our k-1 visa application.

M fiancé lived in Ohio until 2 months ago when he had to go to Florida to take care of his father, and that is where we plan to start our life together. However at the moment he still has his Ohio drivers licence. We will be sending our 1-129f application when I visit him for Christmas. My question is is it ok to use his Ohio address? My plan is to contact USCIS after we recieve our NOA1 for a change of address so we can receive any correspondence in Florida.

Just wondering if we could encounter problems doing that.

Thank you

Edited by LiliBurd

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

You can use the FL address, that way you don't have to worry about updating it later.

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

But then we are sent to TSC instead of CSC, I'd rather go to CSC. Updating the address change isn't really an issue, just want to make sure we won't run into any problems.

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

It would be much easier just to use the Florida address from the start. A change of address during petition processing doesn't always work - USCIS often sends notifications to the old address. It doesn't matter what address is on his drivers license.

We will be applying for E-notification, and his roommate still lives at the Ohio address. Is there anything sent by mail that is absolutely necessary that we would not receive by email in the event they do not do the change of address?

We will be applying for E-notification, and his roommate still lives at the Ohio address. Is there anything sent by mail that is absolutely necessary that we would not receive by email in the event they do not do the change of address?

Yes, absolutely there is. The NOA1 will be sent by mail, though this is not strictly needed. Any RFE will be sent by mail. E-notifications only tell you an RFE has been sent, not what the RFE says you need to do. The NOA2 is sent by mail and you must have this in order to apply for AOS down the road. Sadly USCIS has not yet embraced the digital age.

If he trusts his roommate to receive and forward the mail, that could work too. Though if he has moved to Florida he really should use the address he resides at.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm not sure there's one right answer to your question. The I-129F asks for your mailing address, not your address of residence or your ex-roommate's mailing address, so in this case it would now be in Florida. Also, where it asks for the address where you (the foreign beneficiary) would be living, he would put Florida. There's also the warning at the bottom of the instructions about not knowingly and willingly concealing any information, which may or may not be what your fiancé would be doing by using his Ohio address.

I'm not sure there's one right answer to your question. The I-129F asks for your mailing address, not your address of residence or your ex-roommate's mailing address, so in this case it would now be in Florida. Also, where it asks for the address where you (the foreign beneficiary) would be living, he would put Florida. There's also the warning at the bottom of the instructions about not knowingly and willingly concealing any information, which may or may not be what your fiancé would be doing by using his Ohio address.

It would not be concealing any information... it is still his mailing address.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have no idea what the legal definition of a mailing address is. I get that you want to take of CSC's faster processing times, but why should you get to pick when no one else does? If it were so easy, anyone could just arrange for their "mailing address" to be that of a friend or family member in CSC's jurisdiction. Seems dishonest to me, but hey, what do I know?

I have no idea what the legal definition of a mailing address is. I get that you want to take of CSC's faster processing times, but why should you get to pick when no one else does? If it were so easy, anyone could just arrange for their "mailing address" to be that of a friend or family member in CSC's jurisdiction. Seems dishonest to me, but hey, what do I know?

Well if you had the option to go to CSC wouldn't you choose that? My decision does not impact anyone else's petition. It is still his address so it is not dishonest.

A mailing address is where you choose to have your mail. A mailing address is just that, for receiving mail, nothing more, nothing less. I can have my mailing address be in Japan if I wanted too, even if I don't live there. That said, I believe they decide which SC to use based on the residence address, not the mailing address.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.