8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am the USC and we are about to send my husband's AOS paperwork today but I was wondering am I able to change my last name to his now or wait until his AOS is completed, or at least get the EAD ????

The only reason I ask is because my name is in the paperwork for the sponsor.

Thanks!

You can opt to change the name whenever you want. It would be better to do it now and get it out of the way. Therefore, whatever forms you fill out for the AOS package should all be in your new married name.

I'm not sure what you mean by your name is in the paperwork for the sponsor. Are you using a joint sponsor?

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We sent our AOS papers before my name was legally changed. I actually still haven't changed my name for the same reason you are asking about. I imagine the processing officers would be able to realize that my new last name mostly matched his (he has 4 last names according to our paperwork, and I'm only taking 1), but I wanted to make it painfully obvious I was the same woman who signed all the sponsor forms. Like I said, I don't think it will make much of a difference, but we decided for me to wait.

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You are the USC, so it does not make much difference. If you change your name after he files for AOS and you supply the I-864, then just use your married name later when he applies for ROC. I did just that, and had zero problems doing so.

You can opt to change the name whenever you want. It would be better to do it now and get it out of the way. Therefore, whatever forms you fill out for the AOS package should all be in your new married name.

I'm not sure what you mean by your name is in the paperwork for the sponsor. Are you using a joint sponsor?

She is the USC petitioner/sponsor. She provided the I-864 for her husband.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Okay, thanks everyone!!! Visaqueires, that's the worry I had. Because my last name is my maiden name on the support paperwork then we send the album then I change my name then we have issues but I guess if kaydee did it and had no issues maybe I will go ahead and change it!

I've already filled out ALL the paperwork for this and we are sending this album today lol So, I am not going to go back and fill anything else out again because we want to get this out like yesterday hehe No joint sponsor, just me, but my name is on all this paperwork so I just wondered if ANYthing delays this process (by changing my last name while in process) I will be so aggravated.

If you already have all the paperwork filled out in your maiden name, it's fine. It won't matter that you change your name while the AOS is pending.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Okay, thanks everyone!!! Visaqueires, that's the worry I had. Because my last name is my maiden name on the support paperwork then we send the album then I change my name then we have issues but I guess if kaydee did it and had no issues maybe I will go ahead and change it!

I've already filled out ALL the paperwork for this and we are sending this album today lol So, I am not going to go back and fill anything else out again because we want to get this out like yesterday hehe No joint sponsor, just me, but my name is on all this paperwork so I just wondered if ANYthing delays this process (by changing my last name while in process) I will be so aggravated.

Won't delay anything if you change it after you have already filed for AOS.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.