flippinsweeet

Passport Renewal Maiden Name - Green Card Married Name

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

Does anyone have recent experience of renewing a passport in the simplified way and travelling to and from the UK - i.e retain Maiden Name when Green Card and DL is in married name.

I'm toying with the idea of renewing my UK passport without the hassle of changing name because my husband and I are separated and going through a divorce. Once the divorce is final I'm going to need to change the name back again so...

I will be travelling before I am able to perform any name change on my existing US documents.

From what I've read on older threads, as long as I book the flight in my maiden name and carry my marriage certificate with me this shouldn't be a problem?

I have not submitted my passport renewal application yet but would appreciate some anecdotal advice on this before I do.

(Also, less important but - the online renewal instructions states this: "If you are applying to renew your existing British passport and your appearance has changed so significantly that you would not be recognised from the photo in your existing passport, you should apply for a change to an existing passport". I haven't changed appearance significantly but we still need to submit new photos correct? I'm a little confused by that statement so any experience with the renewal procedure would be appreciated - I can't get that far in the application to find out until I determine whether to renew in my maiden name or do the name change)

Thanks in advance!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

For travel, the name on your airline ticket has to match that in your passport. If your passport is in your maiden name, then any flights booked will be in your maiden name. Carry your marriage certificate with you if you are concerned about re-entering the US with your GC in a different name.

You will need new photos for your passport application anyway.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Hi wbeem,

Thanks for your advice, that is what I've read on older threads and I'm fine with that if it is still the case, however I am seeing some people who have had tricky moments with immigration on their return to the US, depending on the official. Threads I have found on here and expats date between 2003 and 2012.

Since I have not yet renewed my passport it would be comforting to know before I submit if anyone in my position, i.e. with AOS and green card in their married name has recent experience of renewing their passport under their maiden name (while married) and/or recent travel experience.

Thanks though! I'm pretty certain you're correct and I appreciate your response :)

Helloooooo, flippinsweeet! Dig the new handle! :P

Hopefully Nich-Nick will see this and be able to help out here, since she is the keeper of all facts involving the Process as it pertains to the UK.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I have never heard anybody say they had a problem with greencard and passport in different names. They both have a photo that looks like you. Right? And the same first name/middle initial. Same birth date. And you have a copy of the marriage certificate in case they want to see documentation of name change.

The official looking guy checking passports, ESTA and tickets at Heathrow told me "we see that all day long".

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I have never heard anybody say they had a problem with greencard and passport in different names. They both have a photo that looks like you. Right? And the same first name/middle initial. Same birth date. And you have a copy of the marriage certificate in case they want to see documentation of name change.

The official looking guy checking passports, ESTA and tickets at Heathrow told me "we see that all day long".

Yes, thank you so much! It's going to be so much simpler to renew without changing anything and I was 99% certain it would be ok, but knowing the 'official looking guy's' don't push back on this is exactly the reassurance I needed. Much appreciated :)

eta: my Q about submitting new photos was a silly one, merely symptomatic of my anxiety about which route to choose ;). Thanks all for your kind responses.

Edited by flippinsweeet

I just came back from visiting family in the UK in September.

I actually went into London and got a new UK passport in my married name that now matches my green card but travel wise everything was fine. I never had any issues leaving the US and when flying back from LHR I showed them my passports (old & new), marriage certificate and green card. They spent a few moments typing away and handed us out boarding passes.

Entering the US I had no problems at all either but had everything with me to show I was legit :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.