We Keep Receipts

Did This Father Take Social Media Discipline Too Far?

22 posts in this topic

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/the_grapevine/2014/10/did_this_father_take_social_media_discipline_too_far.html?wpisrc=mostpopular

In the age of social media, discipline has taken on a new form, and it includes going viral. Over the last couple of years, parents have posted videos of children being spanked and of themselves sitting in on their children’s classrooms after reports of them being unruly. Now one father from Louisville, Ky., is getting a lot of attention when it comes to his form of “tough love.”

According to Kevin Jones’ post on Facebook, his 10-year-old daughter is lying to people about her age, and he took to his social media account to discipline her. Jones, along with posting photos of his daughter, wrote on Facebook: “Since my beautiful daughter Janiya wants to be grown & lie about her age. Saying she is 14,15,16,&18 years old. She claims to be in love and going out with a boyfriend which is completely against my rules!!!! I uncovered that she has been doing this for quite some time. She also has snuck and obtained social media accounts, also against my rules!!!! Heres the consequences behind her actions. An age defining shirt. Yes people she is 5'9 & 10years old. ‪#‎BuddiesBarrettesBallBalls.”

Jones posted photos of his daughter, showing her face, with her hair styled in barrettes and what he referred to as “ball balls.” He also dressed her in what one can assume is age-appropriate clothing for a 10-year-old, with the words “5th grader” on the back of her T-shirt.

What are people feeding kids nowadays? 5'9 and 10 years old?

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Just saw the FB page. She looks like a kid. Don't know why these dudes can't see that, or they might be into that type of thing.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

She's 5' 9" at 10 years old? Really!?

That's what I said. My sons are tall but at 16 and 19, I'm okay with that. But 10 years old, she's 1 inch shorter than me.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/the_grapevine/2014/10/did_this_father_take_social_media_discipline_too_far.html?wpisrc=mostpopular

In the age of social media, discipline has taken on a new form, and it includes going viral. Over the last couple of years, parents have posted videos of children being spanked and of themselves sitting in on their children’s classrooms after reports of them being unruly. Now one father from Louisville, Ky., is getting a lot of attention when it comes to his form of “tough love.”

According to Kevin Jones’ post on Facebook, his 10-year-old daughter is lying to people about her age, and he took to his social media account to discipline her. Jones, along with posting photos of his daughter, wrote on Facebook: “Since my beautiful daughter Janiya wants to be grown & lie about her age. Saying she is 14,15,16,&18 years old. She claims to be in love and going out with a boyfriend which is completely against my rules!!!! I uncovered that she has been doing this for quite some time. She also has snuck and obtained social media accounts, also against my rules!!!! Heres the consequences behind her actions. An age defining shirt. Yes people she is 5'9 & 10years old. ‪#‎BuddiesBarrettesBallBalls.”

Jones posted photos of his daughter, showing her face, with her hair styled in barrettes and what he referred to as “ball balls.” He also dressed her in what one can assume is age-appropriate clothing for a 10-year-old, with the words “5th grader” on the back of her T-shirt.

What are people feeding kids nowadays? 5'9 and 10 years old?

She good and Mad. Good job for loving your kid daddy

Did you see the one, in which the son tried to act grown at school, so daddy gave him a ball headed old man with hair on the sides cut. That might be a bit much

http://www.epicfail.com/2014/05/16/son-fail-parenting-win/

parenting-win-grown-man-haircut.jpg

Edited by The Nature Boy

She good and Mad. Good job for loving your kid daddy

Did you see the one, in which the son tried to act grown at school, so daddy gave him a ball headed old man with hair on the sides cut. That might be a bit much

http://www.epicfail.com/2014/05/16/son-fail-parenting-win/

parenting-win-grown-man-haircut.jpg

Have to check this from the house. Can't see it here.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Yes, I agree. And I also loved the one where the dad ran over his son's gaming console DVDs/BluRays with his riding mower because the son wouldn't get off the couch all day every day. Good on the tough-love parents!

Yes, I agree. And I also loved the one where the dad ran over his son's gaming console DVDs/BluRays with his riding mower because the son wouldn't get off the couch all day every day. Good on the tough-love parents!

That was a classic also. Although giving the kid the haircut might be extreme. Kid's gonna get bullied big time

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't agree with public humiliation of children or adults for that matter. It's a backward step but if you want to bring back stocks, put it into a manifesto and see how much public support that gets. FYI, I think this will backfire. Only when a person truly accepts their behavior is wrong will they change it. Humiliation is not a teaching tool.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not sure that teaches the lesson of 'tough love', more like the lesson of 'not respecting anyone's personal space or property'.

While I agree that she should be disciplined, I don't feel it should have been taken to social media. Public humiliation is not cool at all. There are better and more effective ways to discipline kids.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore