Roddick2013

My N-400 OATH Ceremony in Atlanta

9 posts in this topic

My oath ceremony was scheduled at 1:00 pm (Atlanta Office). I got there by 12:00. I passed the security check. First I showed my green card to the security guard, and then I took off my watch, my belt, and I emptied my pockets. I went directly to the second floor because the oath letter said that. So when I got there, I saw only 2 people waiting in the big salon, after maybe 30 minutes, an immigration officer showed up and ask who was there for the oath, there were like 10 people already there, and that IO said that we have to go to the first floor and I checked in (when I asked to the security guard while I was going to the metal detector she told me to go to the second floor). I went to the first floor, and while I was waiting on the elevator a guy from Pakistan (another person that was about to swore), asked me if I was there for the oath, I said yes, and he said so do I, he was with his dad (I was alone :(). I checked in on the first floor. The lady saw my oath letter ceremony (she checked if I filled out the back of that letter, and there was a mistake that I did The mistake was that I have to put Atlanta (city where I was about to swore), instead of my city where I live, no problem for that she said, she told me to write down Atlanta above Gainesville (the city where I live), and that would be ok. So I did that, and she said have a sit, and an IO would be with you in any minute. I wait like 30 minutes, and an IO showed, and started asking questions to the people who were about to swear, she was asking the same questions that you already signed of the back of the oath ceremony letter, after you answered all the questions, she told me to go to the second floor and I showed that letter to another IO. So I took the ladder (the elevator kept me waiting like a minute), and I showed my letter to another IO, and she said to go to the ceremony room, I went directly to there and another person welcome me and said to go to a window in that ceremony room. I went there and the person behind the counter asked me for my green card and letter of oath. She kept both documents and gave me a number, it was like a big number printed of a size of a credit card (my number was 39 second row, next to the aisle). A person there told me to sit and on the chair there was already a package (all sits have that already), I sit and I was feeling happy already there, the person next to me was a lady from Trinidad and Tobago, we started talking a little bit and we open the package (passport form, oath of allegiance, how to vote, a little American flag), at that time it was like 1:30 already, I would say the last person who sit last, when I checked my watch was 2:20 pm. And the ceremony was about to start J

It was 2:25 and the “supervisor” of the Atlanta office was a lady (Hispanic woman), she started congratulate everybody to be there, and immediately she said to look to the front where a big screen was there, like a karaoke screen, we were about to sing the Star Spangled Banner, we did it, everybody clap, and that was for me a beautiful beginning. After that she said, I’m going to say the country of the persons who are about to swear, and you have to remain standing up, that took like 3 minutes, we were from 51 different countries, and 139 (not many isn’t it) new US citizens. While we were up. She said that you are going to the The Oath of Allegiance, so we did that and the emotions for everybody was high. She said now you are U.S citizens, and you can imagine the happiness for everybody. Then the IO supervisor put a video of Barack Obama congratulate us for being new U.S citizens, and more claps at the end of that. The IO started explaining about that, we have to wait like 10 days and go to the social security office to upgrade for being a green card holder to a U.S citizen. For the passport we can do it right away, but we have to make the appointment for that before we go. And finally the certifications. The IO said the first row to stand up and go to the front (that was pretty quick). There were 3 persons in the front. The first person was a lady that you have to give the number back that you were assigned, the second lady was the person who was giving you your certificate of naturalization, and the third person was the supervisor who conducted the whole ceremony, I shake hands with her, and I told her in Spanish, that It was a beautiful ceremony, she said congratulations, and enjoy your U.S citizenship, I said thanks, and went I left that room I sit to another room and I was Checking my certificate of any spelling errors, so everything was good, and I left the building, with a big smile, everybody was happy and some persons with tears in his faces. It was like 3:30 (ceremony lasted 1 hour).

This is how it was, a very beautiful oath ceremony. I went to Walgreen’s, I bought one bottle of champagne and one bottle of wine and right now we are still celebrating with my family.

This is the end of my journey with immigration, I wish all of you who are applying for N-400 or even for any kind of application with USCIS the best of lucks. So long, god Bless!!!!

Congratulations! We were at the same ceremony! I believe my husband was also in the 2nd row next to the aisle, so maybe he was across the aisle from you? He was the tall guy in the white shirt from Dominican Republic.

Anyway, congratulations again, and I'm happy it's all over!

IR-5

• USCIS scan date - 11/07/2014
  • NVC scan date - 03/06/2015
  • NVC case complete - 08/01/2015
  • Interview scheduled - 09/14/2015
  • Interview - 10/08/2015

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Congratulations! Thanks for the level of detail! I'm in ATL as well, waiting for my interview letter.

Final Stretch to become a USC:

11-20-2013: Eligibility Date

08-21-2014: Application Sent

08-23-2014: Application Received

08-25-2014: Priority Date

08-28-2014: Check/Money Order Cashed

09-05-2014: Biometrics Letter Sent Date

09-16-2014: Biometrics Walk-in Date

09-25-2014: Biometrics Scheduled Date

09-19-2014: In-line for Interview

01-16-2015: Email/Text saying Interview was Scheduled

02-23-2015: Interview Date

03-03-2015: Email/Text saying In-line for Oath

06-12-2015: Oath Ceremony (Court)

I'm a USC!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.