DustyLynn

How to change interview location? (It's different from what I picked)

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys, I'm a new poster long time lurker, so far my visa process has been pretty smooth but today I ran into my first issue and could use some advice.

I'm canadian and when doing the application I picked the US embassy in Calgary as the embassy because it's only about a 5 hour drive from me. Today my fiancee got a letter from the department of state saying the NVC had received our approved petition and was sending it to the embassy in vancouver? The letter also had a line saying my interview location is Vancouver. Since thats 15+ hours away from me and I would either have to take multiple days off work or fly there, I would much much prefer to switch the location back to Calgary like I wanted but am not sure who exactly I need to call to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

That is not a viable option. Canadian K1 applications are processed at only two consulates: Vancouver or Montreal, depending on your location in Canada.

http://vancouver.usconsulate.gov/visas/fiance-visas.html

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

The only consulates for the interview in Canada are Vancouver or Montreal. You are in for a road trip!

Good luck.

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yup, though there is a consulate in Calgary, it doesn't handle the Visa stuff. Welcome to another out of pocket expense to the process. I had to travel from Regina.

You also have to do the medical exam in Vancouver. This basically means that unless you want to make two separate trips, you'll need to be in Vancouver for at least three days, as you have to wait until late in the afternoon on the next business day to pick up the exam results (which you obviously need to take to the interview with you). Worse, the medical office and the consulate are quite a long ways from each other so it's not like you can stay somewhere that's in walking distance to both.

I was lucky enough to have relatives to stay with. I rented a car, which made the Medical trips easy, as well as doing a little sight seeing. The cheapest and easiest (not to mention less stressful) way to get downtown for the interview was to take the Skytrain. So take do some research on those routes when planning where to stay.

I wanted to make the trip as cost-effective as possible so I scheduled my medical for a Wednesday Morning, and my interview on Friday morning (leaving the necessary day in between to pick up the medical results). Flew in the night before the Medical and then flew back home late on the Friday after the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.