Ketsuban

Isn't pertussis needed?

14 posts in this topic

Hi again!

When I was 15, I had a Tetanus, Diphtheria and Polio vaccine. The nurse ticked off "Td" on my DS-2035 and put in "insufficient time interval to complete series".. However, for some reason she has noted that Tdap is not age-appropriate for me even though I'm 24.

Don't I still need a pertussis immunisation? I'm worried that this nurse has made a mistake and will cause issues.

Have I cause to worry?

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Just as an extra, looking at my vaccination history for my lifetime, I had three DTP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis) vaccinations in 1990, a DT booster in 1994 then the T/d/IPV booster in 2005. Am I covered or am I going to have to try and go back before they ship my file off to the embassy?

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Just as an extra, looking at my vaccination history for my lifetime, I had three DTP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis) vaccinations in 1990, a DT booster in 1994 then the T/d/IPV booster in 2005. Am I covered or am I going to have to try and go back before they ship my file off to the embassy?

Covered. Your Td with polio in 2005 is less than 10 years ago. It is the T that renews every 10 years to recharge you with tetanus in case you get cuts, step on a rusty nail, etc. You will be given a blanket waiver for "insufficient time interval." It is not medically appropriate for you to have another Td until 2015.

I haven't really looked Into the Td combo thing vs a tetanus shot, but when I did a major slice on my finger last year the ER asked when I last had a tetanus shot. Paperwork said it was actually Td they gave me. And USCIS requirements always say Td and not Tetanus.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Covered. Your Td with polio in 2005 is less than 10 years ago. It is the T that renews every 10 years to recharge you with tetanus in case you get cuts, step on a rusty nail, etc. You will be given a blanket waiver for "insufficient time interval." It is not medically appropriate for you to have another Td until 2015.

I haven't really looked Into the Td combo thing vs a tetanus shot, but when I did a major slice on my finger last year the ER asked when I last had a tetanus shot. Paperwork said it was actually Td they gave me. And USCIS requirements always say Td and not Tetanus.

Thanks :D I know my T is covered due to the ten year interval. I was concerned about pertussis since I thought the nurse forgot all about it, but I read in your sticky just now for K-1s that as long as I have pertussis somewhere in my documented life history (and I do in 1990) then I don't need to worry about storming back over there and demanding a Tdap. So thanks again for your wealth of knowledge and sharing it with us.

Also, the Canadians are laughing at me on the Nov interview thread for having to get naked today. Apparently they don't get the ol' gender/visual STD check!

Thanks :D I know my T is covered due to the ten year interval. I was concerned about pertussis since I thought the nurse forgot all about it, but I read in your sticky just now for K-1s that as long as I have pertussis somewhere in my documented life history (and I do in 1990) then I don't need to worry about storming back over there and demanding a Tdap. So thanks again for your wealth of knowledge and sharing it with us.

Also, the Canadians are laughing at me on the Nov interview thread for having to get naked today. Apparently they don't get the ol' gender/visual STD check!

You got covered on Pertussis when you were a kid. Notice it says Tdap or Td. The first is more for those with no records.

Naked: I read your excellent review and kinda laughed too thinking once you have a baby, you will be w-a-a-y over that.

Thanks for the compliment too. Always appreciated.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

You got covered on Pertussis when you were a kid. Notice it says Tdap or Td. The first is more for those with no records.

Naked: I read your excellent review and kinda laughed too thinking once you have a baby, you will be w-a-a-y over that.

I actually thought I lost my records, but luckily I found them hidden amongst old school reports from '95.

Reading some other Brits' reviews, they only had their knickers lifted up. I think I would have preferred that to what happened to me!

Likewise, thank you complimenting my review. I'm sure my experience today has been the ice-breaker for the loss of dignity that can occur during childbirth :)

Sorry to drag up this thread again, but the nurse didn't record my DTP shots on the DS-3025. It just has the "not age appropriate" waiver indicated on the right. So it shows I'm not age appropriate for either DTP/Dtap etc or Tdap. Just the Td, with the "insufficient time" waiver. She didn't transcribe anything to do with pertussis.That's still ok, right? I notice she recorded my first MMR jab from 1991 though, so not sure why she wouldn't do the DTP.

Sorry to drag up this thread again, but the nurse didn't record my DTP shots on the DS-3025. It just has the "not age appropriate" waiver indicated on the right. So it shows I'm not age appropriate for either DTP/Dtap etc or Tdap. Just the Td, with the "insufficient time" waiver. She didn't transcribe anything to do with pertussis.That's still ok, right? I notice she recorded my first MMR jab from 1991 though, so not sure why she wouldn't do the DTP.

She could have recorded the shots and dates. But here's the long version. Well the shortened long version.

Look at the capital letters. They mean something.

DTP (baby version); Tdap (teen and adult version) for Diptheria/Tetanus/Pertussis

Capital letter= big dose

Lower case letter= small dose.

Adults and teens were found to have adverse reactions to the higher doses for D and P so a couple of vaccines were developed with lower Diptheria and Pertussis (or acellular pertussis. That's where the ap in Tdap comes from.) Adacel is one of the vaccine names. But the USCIS will take any version for AOS. That is in writing in their handbook. My husband got DTP from his GP because they had no Tdap. He didn't die over it or have a reaction.

So on your form, the nurse marked the capital letter (big dose baby versions) as not age appropriate, focussing on the adult version line. As I said, she could have marked the dates, just for the total record but maybe she didn't know how to mark the rest of it. It is probably going to be okay.

If it bothers you, ring her up and say you want the dates of your DTP on the record and to change it before it goes off to the embassy. Tell her you want it documented that you have had three doses (forgot exactly what you had). And ask for a copy mailed to you. She may not do it or you may be one who won't question/argue the point. But it is an option.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

She could have recorded the shots and dates. But here's the long version. Well the shortened long version.

Look at the capital letters. They mean something.

DTP (baby version); Tdap (teen and adult version) for Diptheria/Tetanus/Pertussis

Capital letter= big dose

Lower case letter= small dose.

Adults and teens were found to have adverse reactions to the higher doses for D and P so a couple of vaccines were developed with lower Diptheria and Pertussis (or acellular pertussis. That's where the ap in Tdap comes from.) Adacel is one of the vaccine names. But the USCIS will take any version for AOS. That is in writing in their handbook. My husband got DTP from his GP because they had no Tdap. He didn't die over it or have a reaction.

So on your form, the nurse marked the capital letter (big dose baby versions) as not age appropriate, focussing on the adult version line. As I said, she could have marked the dates, just for the total record but maybe she didn't know how to mark the rest of it. It is probably going to be okay.

If it bothers you, ring her up and say you want the dates of your DTP on the record and to change it before it goes off to the embassy. Tell her you want it documented that you have had three doses (forgot exactly what you had). And ask for a copy mailed to you. She may not do it or you may be one who won't question/argue the point. But it is an option.

My results are already at the embassy so I guess it is too late to change anything now. I hope the consular officer just focuses on the "complete - blank waiver yadda yadda" box at the bottom :P either way, I will leave it be and just report back after the interview with how it went for anyone else in the same situation in the future. Cheers again Nick

My results are already at the embassy so I guess it is too late to change anything now. I hope the consular officer just focuses on the "complete - blank waiver yadda yadda" box at the bottom :P either way, I will leave it be and just report back after the interview with how it went for anyone else in the same situation in the future. Cheers again Nick

I don't think the consular officer will care. Take your other proof and you can show him the nurse left it off, but likely won't even come up. And now you know why she skipped it because of your age.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did the doctor check off Not Age Appropriate or Not Needed? Not everybody needs every vaccine. And if the doctor checks off something to the effect of Not Needed, that is the end of it. You don't need it, and the consulate will not second guess him.

Did the doctor check off Not Age Appropriate or Not Needed? Not everybody needs every vaccine. And if the doctor checks off something to the effect of Not Needed, that is the end of it. You don't need it, and the consulate will not second guess him.

Yes, the DTP and Tdap vaccines have the Not Age Appropriate flag, and the Td has the Insufficient Time flag, so nothing has been left blank. I'm sure you're right, the consular officer isn't a doctor and has to take what the form says at face value. As long as it says "Complete", it's all good :)

Besides which, the doctor signed off the DS-3025 and so would have had a chance to review what the nurse wrote and fix anything that was wrong.

You are good to go as long as it says "complete"

:D cheers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.