KARMK

K-1 Cosponsor or Using Assets for I-134/I-864 in Morocco?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm hoping to get more up to date information and also people's thoughts on my situation. I'm not currently working because I'm planning to move to California once my fiance arrives and I had to take and pass a professional exam (which has a 6-month waiting period for results) before I am allowed to work there. I made significantly over the poverty guideline (~7x over) in the first six months of 2014 (before I left my job) and had been at that job for 6 years. But my impression is that the consulate does not care about yearly or past earnings if you're not currently working -- is this right? I have significant savings to use for the move to California while my fiance and I get settled and I look for a new job. I just won't be able to work there until early next year, which is right when we anticipate he'll be having his interview. (I'm confident that I'll be working again by the time we file for AOS, so that's not an issue.)

Assuming this is all correct, I will either need to show assets of 5x the poverty guideline, which I believe I could do but it would be very close to the cutoff, or get a cosponsor, right? My parents are willing to cosponsor, but it seems a little strange given that I'm a mid-30's professional. Does Casablanca currently accept a co-sponsor for K-1 applicants? Assuming the answer is yes, is there any kind of negative connotation that goes along with using a co-sponsor? What are people's thoughts on the differences (if any) between using assets and using a co-sponsor (Morocco-specific thoughts especially welcome!)?

Thanks all!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Cosponsor is fine for Morocco. I plan on using one as well for Maroc because I am in the process of making a career change and am back in school. I dont know about assets but my impression is co-sponsorship is a non-issue.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The more assets you have, the better for them to be accepted on their own. The guidelines for a spouse when using the I-864 is 3 times, but is typically the same guideline followed for a fiance(e) and the I-134. Having 5 times is an even stronger chance of acceptance. You can provide proof of the assets and your most recent tax transcript(last 3 even better to show you had ongoing employment until now) and your last pay stubs will show you had steady employment and were well over the requirement before this year. Yes, current income is most important, but providing all you have plus an explanation of the move and getting a new job might be enough, especially having enough in assets to meet the requirement.

Just in case, bring the I-134 from a parent that meets the requirement for their own household size plus the foreign fiance(e). You might not need it, but if you do, it will be there and ready to go.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.