draga

if you were married and filed once before, but now have a different spouse

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

I'm wondering if this has come up before and am looking for any advice towards this specific situation.

I was in a relationship with someone from England who convinced me we should elope and file papers for him. We did and mailed them off before he went back overseas. In that time we were accepted and I found out he had been cheating on me our entire relationship. We only knew each other for a year when we got married and he had only visited twice.

I asked for a divorce and he agreed, but then he kept filing the papers as they were emailed to us. This went on until the divorce was final. I never did contact the USCIS. I received a letter months later that our case would be terminated due to lack of activity.

I'm wondering how this will now affect my current marriage and application?

It just so happens I feel in love with another person from outside the US. We've been together 4 years, known another for 5, and married for 6 months.

We are about to start the process and I'm scared what happened in the past will ruin it for us, so I could really use some input.

Thanks!

I am the petitioner, he still lives overseas

found each other August 2009
started courting December 2010
first held hands February 2011
engaged June 2013
married May 2014
began process January 2015

Most recent update: Interviewed on 05-OCT 2015. Approved and visa in hand!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Considering husband 1 didn't end up immigrating via you, and it was 5+ years ago, I don't think you will have major issues. Do make sure that the current spouse knows all about the past relationship, as they may be asked about it.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

It was finalized while my current husband and I were courting as the marriage took a long time to dissolve. The official statement I received from the USCIS was received in 2011 I believe. I'm not sure if I still have a copy as my house flooded last year and I lost a lot of paperwork.

I am the petitioner, he still lives overseas

found each other August 2009
started courting December 2010
first held hands February 2011
engaged June 2013
married May 2014
began process January 2015

Most recent update: Interviewed on 05-OCT 2015. Approved and visa in hand!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.