waveforms

from joy to anguish - possible year wait for passport

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will try to write clearly but I am very depressed right now.

We have our NOA2, we didn't think ahead about the passport. Both busy. I have a teenager at home, and much work. She is single mom in university. No excuse but that is the setting.

She goes to her local DFA to get passport. They say get a social security ID. She goes to social security office they say it will take from 3 to 12 months to get the ID because the paperwork has to travel from her island province to various offices in Manila.

Lets say it takes 6 months, then 45 days to get passport, then schedule the interview. We are right up against the expiration date of even a year long extended K1!

We are both really feeling defeated. Can anyone help make lemonade out of these lemons?

She has:

school id
postal id
TOR transcript of records
NBI police clearance
Phil health id
baptismal certificate
birth certificates for both her and her 3 year old
btw, sorry I haven't updated my timeline. I will try to do that today. We are K1 fiancee visa, received NOA2 but no MNL#

Timeline

You're not the first to have a problem with getting a Philippines passport. The DFA website lists acceptable government photo id's. However, after doing a search here on VJ going back several years and my own fiance's experience it seems each individual DFA office has their own rules. Some accept drivers license learner permit id's, some accept SSS id's, some accept voter registration id's, etc. And the time to get each can vary greatly, depending on the government branch and location within the country. From my research, it seems both Cebu and Manila are the easiest and fastest government offices for id's to get a passport.

I can only recommend your fiance ask her local DFA office if they will accept another id, or possibly going to another office. Best of luck.

Timeline

Hi! I got my passport back in 2012 and I was a student back then. I went to the DFA main office in Pasay. What's important is the NSO birth certificate. NBI Clearance and the Philhealth ID will do. As long as it is a government issued picture ID, I think that will do. Try her luck at the main DFA and get it expressed priority. She will get it in no time. Do not lose hope. Keep trying.

08-12-2014 : I-129F Sent

08-14-2014 : NOA1

09-03-2014 : NOA2

09-10-2014 : Petition Transferred from USCIS to NVC

09-18-2014: NVC Received (MNL Case # issued thru Phone)

09-24-2014: US Embassy Manila received our case

10-14-2014: Medical Exam done!

10-23-2014: Interview

10-31-2014: Passport & Visa on Hand

My fiancé was denied passport at the DFA office near where she lives. Go to the DFA office at SM Manila, there they are not as strict. She had postal ID, TIN card, work ID, and the other documents and she got her passport 10 days later. Interview Oct. 3rd and now has visa in hand. Don't wait

She just told me she went to DFA NCR South - Alabang, Metro Manila Branch.

She said the easiest way to get the passport was with high school record, her photo id's that she had, and the other birth certificate, nbi, etc...

Timeline

thank you all, I will ask her to fly with her child to Manila.

minion2, can you tell me which DFA office you went to and what was the year? I am going to compile these responses and give them to her.

Hi everybody good day to all, I feel your pain this process with the DFA office is unreasonable my wife had to wait over 2 months to get hers but in the meantime i had to waste a plane ticket to Singapore to get my wife's police clearance cuz when she sent in the application from philippines they never received it cuz right now we're at the IV stage with NVC

Hi everybody good day to all, I feel your pain this process with the DFA office is unreasonable my wife had to wait over 2 months to get hers but in the meantime i had to waste a plane ticket to Singapore to get my wife's police clearance cuz when she sent in the application from philippines they never received it cuz right now we're at the IV stage with NVC

plus they're all backed up cuz their computer system are down alot that's what we were told with my wife's passport delay

We have our NOA2, we didn't think ahead about the passport. Both busy. I have a teenager at home, and much work. She is single mom in university. No excuse but that is the setting.

She goes to her local DFA to get passport. They say get a social security ID. She goes to social security office they say it will take from 3 to 12 months to get the ID because the paperwork has to travel from her island province to various offices in Manila.

Lets say it takes 6 months, then 45 days to get passport, then schedule the interview. We are right up against the expiration date of even a year long extended K1!

We are both really feeling defeated. Can anyone help make lemonade out of these lemons?

She has:

school id

postal id

NBI police clearance

Phil health id

baptismal certificate

btw, sorry I haven't updated my timeline. I will try to do that today. We are K1 fiancee visa, received NOA2 but no MNL#

if shes from a small province i would suggest going to a local passport agency ,,they process NSO birth certificate..they will process it and sure save time travelling back and forth and save lots of $$$. Thats what i did since my kids live with my mom in a remote area when ky kids was still in the Phils.

She has:

school id

postal id

NBI police clearance

Phil health id

baptismal certificate

She has:

school id

postal id

NBI police clearance

Phil health id

baptismal certificate

Timeline

>>suggest going to a local passport agency

Do you mean a private company that handles passports? Do they have those in the Phils?

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.