11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

okay here we go.... Got my conditional Resident (GC) card through marriage back in 11-26-08. I went to the interview with my wife (ex wife) a few months before the conditional green card expired and everything went well and got the conditions removed and got a Permanent Green card. One year after that me and my wife started having some serious problems and we ended up filing for divorce (summary dissolution since it was only 4yr old mirriage) our divorce became final on 4/30/12 and we separated on 2/14.

I am Filing for Citizenship under the 5 year rule now (resident since 11-26-08 - almost 6 years) and I am a little Nervous since me and my ex wife dont keep in touch and haven't really talked for over a year (been divorced for over 2 years now)

Would this affect my naturalization in any way??? would it raise red flags?

I would like to know if anyone had a similar situation before... since i am filing for citizenship as a single person.

Also what documents of my past marriage do you guys recommend me to bring along?

any additional advises are welcome

You do not need to prove a bona fide marriage when filing for naturalisation under the five year rule.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Thank you very much for the fast reply. Does that means i don't need to take any documents from when we were married??? like bills under both of our names and taxes for those 4 years we were together??

No, not necessary. Only thing you will need from your previous marriage is your divorce judgment.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

let me see if i understand correctly. So after 5 years your marriage doesn't have anything to do with you becoming a citizen even if you initially became resident (GC) through marriage?

i thought as long as you got the green card through marriage you would always have to answer questions and provide documents to prove mirriage (atleast for the period we were together).

Nope.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Well that would depend if you were still married. I'm pretty sure I posted in another thread about a guy who was asked for stuff from his marriage, but he was separated not divorced.

When you are divorced they shouldn't ask for documentation from your previous marriage because you are neither applying under the 3 year nor are you still married.

They do ask for info about your previous marriages in the application and they may ask about it at the interview, such as how long you were married and things like that.

They shouldn't ask for evidence of the marriage like taxes, joint accounts, etc. The divorce judgment is all you would need. So there is no need for concern here, you will be fine.

let me see if i understand correctly. So after 5 years your marriage doesn't have anything to do with you becoming a citizen even if you initially became resident (GC) through marriage?

i thought as long as you got the green card through marriage you would always have to answer questions and provide documents to prove mirriage (atleast for the period we were together).

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

guys one more thing...

is there a book or website that you guys recommend to study for the naturalization questionnaire?

thanks

Timeline

guys one more thing...

is there a book or website that you guys recommend to study for the naturalization questionnaire?

thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.