GBCW

Ted Cruz Spoils GOP’s Plan to Let SCOTUS Neutralize Gay Marriage Issue

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The Supreme Court effectively allowed same sex marriage in five states yesterday.

But from the GOP, a party that used gay marriage as the ultimate wedge issue as recently as 2004, we heard nary a peep: challengers in major Senate races were quiet on the decision, while normally-risible Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker called the issue “settled.”

That’s was until everyone’s favorite spoiler Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) weighed in. Licking his chops over the 2016 GOP primary battle, Cruz came out Monday in favor of a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

“When Congress returns to session, I will be introducing a constitutional amendment to prevent the federal government or the courts from attacking or striking down state marriage laws,” Cruz said. “Traditional marriage is an institution whose integrity and vitality are critical to the health of any society. We should remain faithful to our moral heritage and never hesitate to defend it.”

But as usual Cruz’s maneuver will most adversely affect his fellow Republicans, who want to foist the responsibility for its legalization onto the courts. Quoth one aide (anonymously, natch) to TIME’s Zeke Miller:

“We don’t have to agree with the decision, but as long as we’re not against it we should be okay. The base, meanwhile, will focus its anger on the Court, and not on us.”

Hoping for just such a transfer, consummate 2016 hopeful Chris Christie dodged a question about the topic yesterday. If filed — and the junior senator from Texas is the exactly type to follow through on zany threats — Cruz’s amendment ensures Christie and the rest of their party won’t be able to dodge much longer.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/ted-cruz-spoils-gops-plan-to-let-scotus-neutralize-gay-marriage-issue/

He's not a libertarian. He's more aligned with the American Taliban

No! Barry your boy Pres. is aligned more with ISIS!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Timeline

No! Barry your boy Pres. is aligned more with ISIS!

Hate to break it to you but unless you renounced your US citizenship, Barry is your President too.

Should you happen to find a sober moment, try to tell me how exactly your President is aligned with ISIS.

Hate to break it to you but unless you renounced your US citizenship, Barry is your President too.

Should you happen to find a sober moment, try to tell me how exactly your President is aligned with ISIS.

You have to forgive him. Anything more than a random youtube video and he starts to get nervous.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

You have to forgive him. Anything more than a random youtube video and he starts to get nervous.

It's amazing he is able to log onto a computer and find his way to VJ.

It's amazing he is able to log onto a computer and find his way to VJ.

Bookmarking pages is an awesome way to go.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg