Sign in to follow this  
angeldan08

joint sponsor

6 posts in this topic

Dear Friends,

We used a joint sponsor when we filed AOS but NVC required my co sponsor to submit her husband documents as well since their tax returns was filed jointly. Instead of involving her husband, we're just thinking of getting a new joint sponsor. My concerns:

1/ Would there be any problem if we file another AOS with the new joint sponsor?

2/ Is it ok to just ignore the notice from the NVC since we are now changing the previous joint sponsor?

3/ Can a person who currently sponsoring her parents be our joint sponsor?

Thanks and God bless us all :)

I'm not sure how it works if you want to change the joint sponsor. In any case you have to contact them to let them know you will no longer use that joint sponsor. That way they won't send another checklist or something.

It doesn't matter if a joint sponsor is also sponsoring her parents as long as the income is enough for the household size.

Also, you aren't required to include her husband. The thing is that they are asking for this info because you either didn't submit proof of her share of the income, or you included her husband on her I-864 as a household member who will file an I-864A.

My cousins used joint sponsors who were married and filed jointly and they didn't once ask for the wife's employment info. Therefore, you can still use this person as a joint sponsor if she makes enough on her own. She has to prove her side of the income and you have to make sure that her husband is only listed as her spouse and not under those who need an I-864A.

This does not constitute legal advice.

You can ask your joint sponsor to end her entire tax return (including w2s) vs tax return transcripts which should solve your problem. Really the husband would only have to complete an I-864a and it's not an issue unless he's against that.

but if you want to use a new joint sponsor simply resend the AOS with the new joint sponsor. They can sponsor as long as they make enough for their household (including any dependents like other immigrants) and your spouse.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It's possible that the husband doesn't want to be held responsible along with the wife. I faced this issue when preparing my cousin's joint sponsor's forms. The wife didn't want to be affected by this and we submitted only the tax transcripts plus the joint sponsor's w2 and employment letter.

They were never questioned about submitting an I-864A. That is why you have to make it clear on the form that it's the joint sponsor by himself that will use his own income, not the other household members. Plus you have to include proof of their share of the income with an employment letter/paystubs/w2. I think this would be easier than getting a new joint sponsor altogether and submitting new forms, unless she doesn't make enough by herself.

This does not constitute legal advice.

I agree send the entire tax return or tax return transcripts with W2s for only the joint sponsor. This is much easier than trying to get new sponsors.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.