Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

not working and not filing taxes

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My mother-in-law became a permanent resident in 2008. She has not worked nor filed taxes since. She has never received any notice from the IRS for failure to file (if she is even required to file at all). My husband petitioned her to come to the U.S. and he claims her as a dependent on his income tax.

Will her non-filing affect her application for naturalization? What tax documents does she need to submit/present (if any)?

Thanks for any information!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina


she will explain on the form why she is exempt from taxes, and for the interview she will take copies of your husband's last 5 years of taxes where she appears as a dependent, in case the IO requests them

as long as she can prove why she didn't need to file taxes she will be fine

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...