insipidtoast

I-864 Self-Employed with a negative earning?

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I am just wondering what I should do when filling out the I-864 form. Luckily, my father is going to be the co-sponsor, which is pretty straightforward in his case. Nonetheless, I understand that I need to fill out a separate I-864 form as the petitioner, which is rather complicated in my case.

I have some doubts. First, I am technically currently self-employed as a publisher, a company I created by doing a DBA statement in the local paper a couple years ago. I have no employees and am a sole-proprietor. I published one book. I sell the occasional copy on Amazon, and even more rarely on my own website. I certainly have not sold enough copies to break even after spending thousands of dollars getting my book printed and paying for all the other costs incurred during the production and marketing of my book.

My I-130 petition got approved yesterday by the US Embassy in Lima. In the G-325A biographic information form that I submitted I stated that I am currently employed by own publishing company.

Now on the I-864 form Part 6 should I just put that I am unemployed or should I put that I am self-employed as a publisher? It asks what my current annual income is. Should I make things simple and put $0? I haven't had a job since I quit my last job at the beginning of January of this year. In any case, what do I need to submit as evidence? My bank statement?

I kind of feel like just putting unemployed and saying that my income is $0 just to avoid the hassle, but I'm worried about the potential consequences. I definitely did not keep a good accounting record on my sole-proprietorship, publishing business.

What should I do?

September 25th: I-130 Emergency petition filed at US Embassy in Lima.

October 3rd: I-130 Petition Approved.

October 10th: Consular Section sent checklist and notification scheduling my spouse's visa interview for November 13th.

Tell the truth.

You don't have to tell a story Or anything, just put the negative numbers, or put zero. If you consider yourself employed, then put your employment. If you see it as a sideline, then put unemployed, but don't forget to include it on your taxes obviously.

That's what my take is on the situation anyways.

I also was self employed for a number of years in Germany, so I also appear to have a negative earning on my tax return coupled with the fact that I filed with the foreign tax exemption. I went back and forth deciding on what to do -- and in the end I put exactly the number from the line they requested.

If you're concerned about how it will look, you can always get a co-sponsor (which we did) and everything worked out in the end. The embassy is specialized in what they are reading -- they will figure it out :)

Hope that helps!

Hello everyone, I am just wondering what I should do when filling out the I-864 form. Luckily, my father is going to be the co-sponsor, which is pretty straightforward in his case. Nonetheless, I understand that I need to fill out a separate I-864 form as the petitioner, which is rather complicated in my case.

I have some doubts. First, I am technically currently self-employed as a publisher, a company I created by doing a DBA statement in the local paper a couple years ago. I have no employees and am a sole-proprietor. I published one book. I sell the occasional copy on Amazon, and even more rarely on my own website. I certainly have not sold enough copies to break even after spending thousands of dollars getting my book printed and paying for all the other costs incurred during the production and marketing of my book.

My I-130 petition got approved yesterday by the US Embassy in Lima. In the G-325A biographic information form that I submitted I stated that I am currently employed by own publishing company.

Now on the I-864 form Part 6 should I just put that I am unemployed or should I put that I am self-employed as a publisher? It asks what my current annual income is. Should I make things simple and put $0? I haven't had a job since I quit my last job at the beginning of January of this year. In any case, what do I need to submit as evidence? My bank statement?

I kind of feel like just putting unemployed and saying that my income is $0 just to avoid the hassle, but I'm worried about the potential consequences. I definitely did not keep a good accounting record on my sole-proprietorship, publishing business.

What should I do?

10/2006- Started dating

06/07/08- Got Engaged

06/2009 - Got Married

03/05/2014 - I-130 package sent to Frankfurt Consulate

03/07/2014 - Fee charged to credit card

03/08/2014 - Received NOA1

03/19/2014 - I-130 approved

04/08/2014 - DS-260 submitted online

04/24/2014 - Package 3 sent off in the mail to Frankfurt

05/03/2014 - Received Interview Appointment via Mail

05/14/2014 - Medical Exam Complete!

05/27/2014 - Interview -- Visa was Approved!

06/02/2014 - Visa arrived via Registered Mail :-)

07/17/2014 - POE Detroit -- We're here!

08/26/2014 -- Pending issue with Typographical Error in Permanent Residency Card...Case Filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.