RW365

Is my fiance (US citizen) allowed to accompany me to the K-1 interview?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All - I know this differs from embassy to embassy. I couldn't find information specific to London. Can anyone please tell me if my fiance (the US citizen) is allowed to accompany me to the interview? Does it need any special permissions etc? Thanks.

Edited by rogerwhite365

12 May 2014: Mailed 129F packet to Dallas lockbox

21 May 2014: NOA1 from TSC

18 Sep 2014: NOA2

23 Sep 2014: Case sent to NVC

30 Sep 2014: NVC received + case number generated

06 Oct 2014: Left NVC

08 Oct 2014: Medical exam

09 Oct 2014: Case reached embassy in London

09 Oct 2014: DS-160 and Applicant Readiness form submitted

21 Oct 2014: Interview letter received

29 Oct 2014: Interview --> Approved!

07 Nov 2014: Visa in hand

08 Nov 2014: LHR --> BOS [Finally!!]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

As far as I'm aware yes you can but you need to contact the embassy to get them onto the visitor list for the day of your interview or they won't be allowed in.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Yes they can, They give you that option on the application of readiness :)

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2014-03-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-09-09

(Sent to NVC: 2014-09-15)

NVC Received : 2014-09-22

NVC Left :2014-09-26

Medical : 2014-09-29

Consulate Received : 2014-09-29

Packet 3 Received : 2014-10-06

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received : 2014-10-23

Interview Date : 2014-11-07

Interview Result : APPROVED!!

AP : 2014-11-12 (2 hours)

Issued: 2014- 11- 12

Hi All - I know this differs from embassy to embassy. I couldn't find information specific to London. Can anyone please tell me if my fiance (the US citizen) is allowed to accompany me to the interview? Does it need any special permissions etc? Thanks.

There's a place on on the online visa contact form to tick ... I would like to add the name of my U.S. citizen spouse/child to my IV appointment. Do you have that form bookmarked?

I did read one person say on here in the last month or so that their fiancé was refused entry. They were told it was a change. But does one reported incident make it a for sure new rule? I would certainly ask for her name to be added if she is going to be in town. I wouldn't spend a fortune flying over just to go to the interview, unless you have plenty money to spare.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

I flew into London the night before my fiancé's appt at the Embassy (ours was a more difficult case, and our lawyer strongly suggested I attend.) I had prepared all of the paperwork, with his immigration lawyer overseeing. When we arrived at the embassy, my name was not on the list for me to go in with him--not sure how! I politely argued that there was some mistake and showed the binder of information I had put together, stated that I was the petitioner, and had flown in from the US the previous night to be there for it. The woman took my passport and information, called inside and was able to put me on the list. We went in and I accompanied him during the interview. Everything went fine, he was approved. We are now married living in the states. So yes, you can go in, just be sure to put your name on that list!, or prepare to be incredibly persuasive.

Timeline

Thank you. I haven't seen the readiness form yet - I will be sure to add his details as a visitor. He's coming for a visit unrelated to the interview. But it looks like it's very likely that the interview might happen while he is here, so I thought why not...

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I flew into London the night before my fiancé's appt at the Embassy (ours was a more difficult case, and our lawyer strongly suggested I attend.) I had prepared all of the paperwork, with his immigration lawyer overseeing. When we arrived at the embassy, my name was not on the list for me to go in with him--not sure how! I politely argued that there was some mistake and showed the binder of information I had put together, stated that I was the petitioner, and had flown in from the US the previous night to be there for it. The woman took my passport and information, called inside and was able to put me on the list. We went in and I accompanied him during the interview. Everything went fine, he was approved. We are now married living in the states. So yes, you can go in, just be sure to put your name on that list!, or prepare to be incredibly persuasive.

There's a place on on the online visa contact form to tick ... I would like to add the name of my U.S. citizen spouse/child to my IV appointment. Do you have that form bookmarked?

I did read one person say on here in the last month or so that their fiancé was refused entry. They were told it was a change. But does one reported incident make it a for sure new rule? I would certainly ask for her name to be added if she is going to be in town. I wouldn't spend a fortune flying over just to go to the interview, unless you have plenty money to spare.

So I wrote to the embassy to request if they can bring my interview date forward so that my fiance could attend the interview with me, and they have been kind enough to grant me an earlier date. It's now on the 29th.

I entered his details in the Applicant Readiness form, and I have the email correspondence in which I asked for an earlier interview date stating the reason, and a reply to that email giving me the interview date. Is there anything else i should do to make sure they let him in on the day? He will carry his US passport, of course. Can we do anything to get him on that list that you mention, in addition to what I did already?

And thank you for your help! I don't know what I'd do if it wasn't for this forum. :)

The contact form with the reason ticked " I would like to add the name of my U.S. citizen spouse/child to my IV appointment". It sounds like you asked for a new appointment date but maybe not specifically to be added to the list.

Or just be good at talking your way in if not on the list by showing what you have. I (American) showed up on the day and got in. Queen of Blades went inside and asked somebody when her fiancé was refused. He got in. And there's the story already posted in this thread by efmyel.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

The contact form with the reason ticked " I would like to add the name of my U.S. citizen spouse/child to my IV appointment". It sounds like you asked for a new appointment date but maybe not specifically to be added to the list.

Or just be good at talking your way in if not on the list by showing what you have. I (American) showed up on the day and got in. Queen of Blades went inside and asked somebody when her fiancé was refused. He got in. And there's the story already posted in this thread by efmyel.

Oh! I didn't notice that option on the list. Thanks for pointing it out. I have now sent them a message through there. Hopefully that should work.

Thanks again! :)

Timeline

Oh! I didn't notice that option on the list. Thanks for pointing it out. I have now sent them a message through there. Hopefully that should work.

Thanks again! :)

So, to finish this discussion, in case anyone else has this question: after you submit the online contact-us form with the option of '"I would like to bring my fiance/spouse to the interview"' -- with his/her name mentioned in the details box -- you get an acknowledgement from the embassy by e-mail, telling you that the name has been added to the visitors' list for the day. I just got that email! :)

So, to finish this discussion, in case anyone else has this question: after you submit the online contact-us form with the option of '"I would like to bring my fiance/spouse to the interview"' -- with his/her name mentioned in the details box -- you get an acknowledgement from the embassy by e-mail, telling you that the name has been added to the visitors' list for the day. I just got that email! :)

That is how it works. Take that with you just in case the name fails to make the list.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.