GBCW

Park Slope Police Tell Black Teens 'Get Out of the Neighborhood': Witness

2 members have voted

1. 1. If the witness is not lying about what she saw, are you okay with this?

• Yes, I am. Captain DiGiacomo makes a lot of sense here.
    • No, I am not. I don't care how many cops get punched, the right of young people to walk through neighborhoods in large groups should not be infringed.

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

By Leslie Albrecht on October 1, 2014

PARK SLOPE — NYPD officers in patrol cars trailed a group of black teens walking through Park Slope and told them over their loudspeakers to "get out of the neighborhood," a resident who witnessed the incident said.

She said there were about five or six kids in the group and they appeared to be about 16 years old. The police had the dome lights on the top of their squad cars illuminated, but their sirens were off.

Commanding Officer Capt. Frank DiGiacomo ... confirmed that his officers routinely try to move large groups of young people out of the neighborhood because clusters of teens have created problems recently at the Atlantic Center Mall.

"We've had have large fights…and things stemming over to Barclays Center and things stemming over to robberies and assaults,” DiGiacomo said. "When one or two are hanging out, it’s never a problem, but when we have large groups of kids together and we don't ask them to move or go somewhere else, they become a larger group, and that’s when we get assaults."

DiGiacomo said he's working with the Barclays Center and school safety officers to come up with after-school programs that will keep kids off the streets.

Bennett, a former criminal defense lawyer, pointed out that Ninth Street and Seventh Avenue isn't very close to the mall — it's a mile and a half away.

DiGiacomo responded by saying that “most of the crimes that happen in our command are from outside people committing the crimes." He added, "if [teens] are not playing basketball, you’re not playing soccer, you’re not doing something productive in the neighborhood, I can see [officers] moving them.”

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20141001/park-slope/park-slope-police-tell-black-teens-get-out-of-neighborhood-witness

By Leslie Albrecht on October 1, 2014

PARK SLOPE — NYPD officers in patrol cars trailed a group of black teens walking through Park Slope and told them over their loudspeakers to "get out of the neighborhood," a resident who witnessed the incident said.

She said there were about five or six kids in the group and they appeared to be about 16 years old. The police had the dome lights on the top of their squad cars illuminated, but their sirens were off.

Commanding Officer Capt. Frank DiGiacomo ... confirmed that his officers routinely try to move large groups of young people out of the neighborhood because clusters of teens have created problems recently at the Atlantic Center Mall.

"We've had have large fights…and things stemming over to Barclays Center and things stemming over to robberies and assaults,” DiGiacomo said. "When one or two are hanging out, it’s never a problem, but when we have large groups of kids together and we don't ask them to move or go somewhere else, they become a larger group, and that’s when we get assaults."

DiGiacomo said he's working with the Barclays Center and school safety officers to come up with after-school programs that will keep kids off the streets.

Bennett, a former criminal defense lawyer, pointed out that Ninth Street and Seventh Avenue isn't very close to the mall — it's a mile and a half away.

DiGiacomo responded by saying that “most of the crimes that happen in our command are from outside people committing the crimes." He added, "if [teens] are not playing basketball, you’re not playing soccer, you’re not doing something productive in the neighborhood, I can see [officers] moving them.”

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20141001/park-slope/park-slope-police-tell-black-teens-get-out-of-neighborhood-witness

This is nothing new. I used to hang out in the mall with my friends and we would be told to keep it moving, even if we were waiting on someone.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

This is nothing new. I used to hang out in the mall with my friends and we would be told to keep it moving, even if we were waiting on someone.

It took 12 minutes for you to reply. You're slacking. Edited by spookyturtle

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

It took 12 minutes for you to reply. You're slacking.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

wait - ain't some cities gots laws on the books against teen-clustering? I seem to remember something, somewhere, recently... can get citation, order to appear in court, but was just added in for brevity of sentencing, I think..

on a different note - Oh My, Gentle Readers - what if this cluster of teens were all wearing boy scout uniforms and were carrying garden hand tools??? what then?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

wait - ain't some cities gots laws on the books against teen-clustering? I seem to remember something, somewhere, recently... can get citation, order to appear in court, but was just added in for brevity of sentencing, I think..

on a different note - Oh My, Gentle Readers - what if this cluster of teens were all wearing boy scout uniforms and were carrying garden hand tools??? what then?

Why do you ask questions you already know the answer to? Of course they wouldn't have said shyt. Heck my friends and I were as far removed from gang bangers as you could possibly be, and we were always targeted.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg