studioguitarist

K1 visa interview - is petitioner's old marriage certificate required (Malaysia Embassy)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

The embassy in Malaysia sent the checklist to my fiancee' there (beneficiary). It says she needs to bring original marriage certificate and divorce decree to the interview. She has her divorce decree -- no problem, and is trying to get her hands on the original marriage certificate from her first marriage. She's having a hard time getting it, but she is trying.

Here is my question: will she (beneficiary in Malaysia) be required to give them my original marriage certificate from my first marriage, or are we misunderstanding the instructions? She does have my divorce decree which ended my first marriage. Just need to know if I have to get my hands on the marriage certificate for the first (ended) marriage for her to bring to the interview. ~Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Most likely your divorce decree is what will be needed, but I am going to move your post so you can get answers specific to your consulate

.~ Moved from K-1 Process to Asia:East and Pacific regional - topic specific to interviewing in Malaysia ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I just got the answer by email from the embassy in Malaysia. They absolutely DO require a certified copy of BOTH the petitioner and beneficiary prior marriage certificate.

Something else to note is that although there is no place printed on the I-134 Affidavit of Support for a Notary Public to sign and seal, the instructions from the US embassy in KL say that the I-134 must be notarized. The notary I took it to completed a form to add to the two page I-134 stating the notarization with its seal.

Edited by studioguitarist

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Sorry to use this medium to ask this question, the I-134 form, can it be scanned from the co sponsor and sent to the benficiary with all other documents...

TimeLine

3/11/2014:I-129F petition mailed

3/14/2014:Confirmation of arrival at Lockbox office

3/19/2014:Text/ Email of NOA1 received

3/24/2014:Received NOA1 via mail

Timeline

I'm not an expert at all, but I will tell you what I did and why. I am the petitioner in the USA. Because the instruction packet from the embassy in Malaysia said "...An original signed notarized Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) must be provided...." I took that as exactly what It said and I filled out the I-134, signed it and had it notarized, and I sent it by FedEx along with other original documents (signed G325, tax returns, original letter from my employer, etc.) to my fiancee in Malaysia. I almost missed the "notarized" part and saw it just before I was getting ready to FedEx the documents. I would hate to have them reject or delay us on a technicality like this, so I'm trying very hard to do everything perfectly correct. It is very nerve wracking and I worry every step of the way about accidental errors.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.