Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

can ajuste now

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

According to the instructions for the I-485 you may not be eligible to adjust based on marriage to an LPR if you are out of status. Are you still a student?

They only make an exception to being out of status for immediate relatives of USC's. Also in order to adjust status based on marriage to an LPR, you have to have a pending petition (I-130) and the PD would have to be current.

As the spouse of an LPR you can't submit the I-130 with the I-485 unless the PD's for the F2A category is current. This is because spouses of LPR's have a limited number of visas available each year whereas spouses of USC's have unlimited visas available.

You can consult an immigration attorney, but your application will most likely be denied if you submit it now so you would have to wait until your wife becomes a USC.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Short answer: No

While your wife is an LPR you have to wait for a visa number to become available. When the visa becomes available you can file to adjust status from within the US only if you are currently in the US in a valid status. Since you admit you are out of status now that means that even if your visa became available you could not adjust. You must return home. Remember if you remain 180 days or more out of status you incur a 3 year ban from returning to the US. If you are out of status for 365 or more you incur a 10 year ban.

Overstays are forgiven only for immediate relatives of USCs. That means if she files a petition for you as a citizen or upgrades the petition for you on becoming a citizen then you could adjust status even if you have overstayed.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.