archit_k

Indian Citizen with a green card, Applying for a work permit for Canada

4 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I am a Indian citizen, with a green card through marriage. I am trying to getting a job in Canada, but i was wondering if i need to go back to India to get the work visa or can i just apply from the US.

Any other pointers and related information will be appreciated.

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This is a US-based website, you'd have more luck in a Canadian-based one.

Also, keep in mind you'll lose your green card if you become a resident of Canada.

Edited by F1H1I130

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Are you still planning to live in the US? As someone who lives near the border, there are Americans who work in Canada and live in the US. You'd have to pay taxes in both US and Canada though. I think this applies to PRs as well. What is your intention? If you plan on moving to Canada, you'd need an immigrant visa and you'd lose your green card. An employer would also have to prove that they've exhausted their efforts to find a Canadian worker. That depends on LMIA though--see link.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Can I ask why you want to work in Canada? For example, is there a specific field where you can find better work than in the US? Or do you just prefer to live in Canada for personal reasons? Because, as other people say, you need to be sure that you want to move to Canada permanently because you will be giving up your US green card. If this is the case then you need to check with the Canadian Embassy in the city you live in the United States – they will be able to tell you where and how you can apply. If you are not certain you want to permanently give up your green card, why not change jobs or move somewhere else in America for a change?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.