Jdtravails

Super Fun i-864 Question (two but quick, really)

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Good evening.

I am currently wading through the process of getting my wife's visa processed and have what I assume is a misunderstanding on my part due to my own paranoia over ###### something up.

My two issues are as follows

1) We currently reside overseas and are thus using a Co sponsor to meet the income requirements. As such, is it best to submit my i864 AND the cosponsor's paperwork in one package? As in, should they ship the documentation to us to submit?

2 - Probably should have been 1, but that's okay) The cosponsor is currently married and filling jointly. From my understanding this means that she has to submit paperwork for her and her husband (as that is how their taxes appear) . Does that mean two whole i864s for them? Or do they file only one with her husband listed as a household member whose income is included?

Related : only one set of tax returns/transcripts should be necessary for them since they're filed jointly, correct?

Thank you ahead of time for ALL of your help and assistance!

Good evening.

I am currently wading through the process of getting my wife's visa processed and have what I assume is a misunderstanding on my part due to my own paranoia over ###### something up.

My two issues are as follows

1) We currently reside overseas and are thus using a Co sponsor to meet the income requirements. As such, is it best to submit my i864 AND the cosponsor's paperwork in one package? As in, should they ship the documentation to us to submit?

2 - Probably should have been 1, but that's okay) The cosponsor is currently married and filling jointly. From my understanding this means that she has to submit paperwork for her and her husband (as that is how their taxes appear) . Does that mean two whole i864s for them? Or do they file only one with her husband listed as a household member whose income is included?

Related : only one set of tax returns/transcripts should be necessary for them since they're filed jointly, correct?

Thank you ahead of time for ALL of your help and assistance!

the I-864 uses joint sponsors not co-sponsors.

1) you should submit everything to do with the AOS. It's not recommended to have them send anything but instead send it all to you and the whole AOS package goes at the same time.

2) No. I864 for whomever makes more, and I-864A for whomever makes less.

3) yes only 1 tax return transcript for their joint sponsor paperwork. Also need to include proof of citizenship or LPR status.

Also currently the NVC wants you to wait and send the AOS and the IV package at the same time.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

the I-864 uses joint sponsors not co-sponsors.

Hah! Yes, I know. Thanks. I should proofread before posting on none internet late at night.

1) you should submit everything to do with the AOS. It's not recommended to have them send anything but instead send it all to you and the whole AOS package goes at the same time.

Thanks. That was my thinking/understanding as well. Just saw different in a few places and was getting concerned.

3) yes only 1 tax return transcript for their joint sponsor paperwork. Also need to include proof of citizenship or LPR status.

Thanks! That was my biggest current confusion as I had to recently ask a completely different person as the previous one decided to be incredibly unreliable, and now this one is married. Another wrinkle.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up, but I've got a relatively exhaustive checklist I've made/edited/re-edited I'm using as modified from another Visa forum and those documents are at the top of my list. Great head's up, though!

Also currently the NVC wants you to wait and send the AOS and the IV package at the same time.

Thanks, but IV package? Is that something else? I've already filed and had the I-130 accepted and the NVC has requested/processed the filing fee for the AoS, so as far as I know that is what is the next step (the flow chart type website they have has this as the current necessary step). Is there another form/package request I should be expecting from them?

Hah! Yes, I know. Thanks. I should proofread before posting on none internet late at night.

Thanks. That was my thinking/understanding as well. Just saw different in a few places and was getting concerned.

Thanks! That was my biggest current confusion as I had to recently ask a completely different person as the previous one decided to be incredibly unreliable, and now this one is married. Another wrinkle.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up, but I've got a relatively exhaustive checklist I've made/edited/re-edited I'm using as modified from another Visa forum and those documents are at the top of my list. Great head's up, though!

Thanks, but IV package? Is that something else? I've already filed and had the I-130 accepted and the NVC has requested/processed the filing fee for the AoS, so as far as I know that is what is the next step (the flow chart type website they have has this as the current necessary step). Is there another form/package request I should be expecting from them?

Uhm yes. Immigrant visa package, the beneficiary's original documents, police reports, 2 us passport sized photos, etc... After the IV bill is paid they can be sent. They supplement the DS-260.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Uhm yes. Immigrant visa package, the beneficiary's original documents, police reports, 2 us passport sized photos, etc... After the IV bill is paid they can be sent. They supplement the DS-260.

Ah! But that comes after I submit my AoS according to the instructions sent. Am I jumping the gun in regards to the joint sponsors and mine should be sufficient for now? (Even though I've no income myself as I'm living overseas with my wife).

Ah! But that comes after I submit my AoS according to the instructions sent. Am I jumping the gun in regards to the joint sponsors and mine should be sufficient for now? (Even though I've no income myself as I'm living overseas with my wife).

If your income will not be continuing after you move to the USA then you NEED a joint sponsor.

Timeline

If your income will not be continuing after you move to the USA then you NEED a joint sponsor.

Ok, I think we're communicating across one another here, then.

I've already established that that is what I'm doing.

You said earlier I should wait for an IV package, which has not been charged for or sent to me yet, but the AoS has been requested. Hence, I am currently putting together and preparing to submit it. I have my joint sponsors gathering paperwork to mail me so I can then submit them all together.

Is this a difference in procedure between the American and Canadian immigration system, perhaps?

Ok, I think we're communicating across one another here, then.

I've already established that that is what I'm doing.

You said earlier I should wait for an IV package, which has not been charged for or sent to me yet, but the AoS has been requested. Hence, I am currently putting together and preparing to submit it. I have my joint sponsors gathering paperwork to mail me so I can then submit them all together.

Is this a difference in procedure between the American and Canadian immigration system, perhaps?

Lol I misunderstood your question. The Canadian and US systems are vastly different but I immigrated to the USA.

The NVC, according to their website, wants everything, the AOS and the IV all in one package. That doesn't mean I suggest that you do it. I don't understand why the NVC wants that. How you choose to send at this moment is up to you. Either wait for the IV to be invoiced and paid, then send both at the same time OR send the AOS first. Up to you.

Timeline

Lol I misunderstood your question. The Canadian and US systems are vastly different but I immigrated to the USA.

The NVC, according to their website, wants everything, the AOS and the IV all in one package. That doesn't mean I suggest that you do it. I don't understand why the NVC wants that. How you choose to send at this moment is up to you. Either wait for the IV to be invoiced and paid, then send both at the same time OR send the AOS first. Up to you.

Ah, ok, then that makes more sense. Seems odd they haven't even mentioned it in their emails to me. *sigh* I guess it is waiting time now. Any idea on a good link/resource/google terminology for gauging processing time for when the IV invoice/request be sent?

Timeline

Okay, so hopefully a quick clarification as reading the instructions has me concerned with this part, but hopefully it's a quick check.

The individual income for the joint sponsor is more than enough, but because she files with her husband jointly, do I still use his as well as her income on the form? Or would that be unnecessary?

Also... It's amazing how I run into new little confusions, but on page 1 where it says "only joint sponsor" or "first of two"... etc, since they are spouses, are they counted as two or only one? I'm assuming it's just the one. And I'm done, the rest is easy enough.

I think I need less coffee and ####### attention to detail everywhere.

If they file taxes jointly, he should complete an I-864a. She is the only joint sponsor and he is her household member.

Does that help?

Edited by NLR

Timeline

If they file taxes jointly, he should complete an I-864a. She is the only joint sponsor and he is her household member.

Does that help?

I believe so. I have no idea why I never saw your reply until now.

So a follow up:

If I'm using one person's income for lines 5 and 10, then what do I enter on lines 13a to c? Full income tax, or the individual's divided income (I'm assuming with W2's/whatever other income they individually had) only?

I would harass the uscis about this if I could get the antshats to connect me to a person instead of an automated machine.

Perhaps I will do that as well.

Thank you and I hope all is well your neck o the woods!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.