bybbies

Returned Peace Corps Volunteer K-1 Visa petition

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

hello to all,

Its been really exciting and addictive to read through all these threads and knowing I am not alone in this process! I am hoping someone here can help me out with the following issues...

1. As noted in topic title, i am an RPCV and have a question about the use of my personal passport and my peace corps issued passport in conjunction with the K-1 Visa application forms and requuirements.

On the I-129f form i wrote down my personal passport number. However, to prove that I met my fiance within the 2 yr required time frame I can only use my peace corps issued passport as support which is not the same number as my personal passport due to it being the passport I entered and exited Nicaragua. How do i go about this issue? Should I fill out a new i-129f form with my peace corps issued passport or keep the current I-129f form and include a detailed explanation along with the page copies of my peace corps issued passport on why it is a different one from what is noted on the form? According to my Peace Corps manual, once I have completed my service it is illegal to use my peace corps passport. Does that apply to this situation?

2. In Nicaragua, the department in which I lived during my service is abbreviated because its name is so long. It is a pretty well known department with the abbreviated name but is it better to include its name on the forms on a attached page with the abbreviation spelled out? (R.A.A.S.)

3. Also the description of where i lived in nicaragua is pretty long as they do not use numbers or street names; should I just put all of my residences history on an attached page?

4. For my own biographical information form I typed in the information and used up 2 lines per employer information because the space was too small for both employer name and address. I was able to include all my employment history as such. Is this ok or should it all be in one line thus using an attached page?

5. No one knows the birth date of my fiance's father. Is it ok to put unknown or must I find this information out? he has not been around since my fiance's 3rd birthday and he does not intend on looking for him or his family....

I sincerely appreciate any help I can get with these issues. I am itching to send off my packet as I feel I have everything ready but am trying to prevent and RFE.

Thanks!

Sincerely, Bybbies

OUR LOVE HISTORY

10/02/12:It was love at first sight :wub:

10/14/12:I made the first move and we became an item :idea:

10/14/13:First year anniversary as a couple (L)

05/26/14:Engaged! :yes:

07/25/14:I returned to the states to start K-1 Visa process :cry:

10/14/14:2nd year anniversary as a couple :luv:

TIMELINE FOR OUR K1 -VISA

09/30/14:Sent the 1-129F package to Lockbox in Lewisville, TX

10/06/14:Received NOA1 via text and email :dance:

10/11/14:Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail

05/01/15:Received NOA2 via text and email 9:01pm CDT :wow:

05/07/15:Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail

05/27/15 Date NVC received case (I tracked my case on ceac website to approx. this date)

(I emailed them the day I noticed on ceac website my status was READY)

06/03/15:Received email from USEM with Packet 4 instructions. Immediately scheduled medical exam!

06/05/15:Date of Fiance's scheduled Medical Exams -- Passed with flying colors!

06/30/15:Date of Interview --APPROVED!!

07/11/15:Date received Passport with Visa at pickup location in hometown

07/16/15:Date of my travel to bring Fiance to USA

07/19/15:Fiance and I arrived in TX!!!

09/19/15:Date of wedding --

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

hey Bybbies,

Im not an experienced member here, so don't take my word as final, im sure other's will chip in soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about the passport, I had to submit two passports (a different situation though), but each one serves as proof of something. So, you can use your personal passport for yourself, and the RPVC one for 2 year proof.

Regarding addresses, I think the general consensus is to be as detailed as possible, as to avoid RFE's, you can use extra paper pages.

About your fiancees father, that's a tricky situation. I guess you will need to enclose an explanation in a separate page.

Hey there!

Fellow RPCV here. I hope you've kept your Peace Corps passport in order to use the stamps as proof... but yes, I think it's fairly common for people to have more than one passport. I would put down valid passport numbers in all forms, then simply include copies of your Peace Corps passport as proof of relationship (I only included the first handful of pages that had the personal info and all entry/exit stamps). I think I also copied the front and back of my passport, so I included the little sticker that indicates that it's a special Peace Corps passport.

Definitely write out all abbreviations. It's better to attach extra sheets of explanations than to have confusing info.

I would put address info on a separate page while trying to be concise yet complete. I know it's tricky but I tried to make my addresses in Rwanda mimic the US format as closely as possible while still remaining accurate (I had my fiance look up plot numbers at the local government office so we at least had a number for each residence).

Not sure about the last two. Your fiance's father's date of birth isn't on any of his documents? (birth certificate, passport, etc?) I would try to find it out but I'm sure there are people who don't have access to that information so there must be something to do in that case.

I ended up seeking the help of an immigration attorney, which is what I've recommended to another Rwanda RPCV who is going through this process. I know it's sometimes not financially feasible but it helped me! If you do decide to go it alone- best of luck!

(note: I filed the 1-29F in April, with the help of our attorney... still waiting on approval)

K-1 Visa Timeline

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? Yes, to California Service Center

Consulate : Nairobi, Kenya

I-129F Sent : 03-10-2014

I-129F NOA1 : 03-20-2014

I-129F NOA2 : 09-18-2014

NVC Received : 09-2014

NVC Left : 10-2014

Consulate Received : 10-2014

Interview Date : 12-09-2014

Interview Result : Approved!!

Visa Received : 12-15-2014

US Entry : 12-30-2014

Legal Marriage : 01-06-2015?

Wedding : 05-24-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

About the unknown birthdate of your fiancé father, I think you will be fine if you leave it blank or put unknown. My fiancé didn't know the birthdate of hi parents, he left it blank. (He just wrote USA for their place of birth and place of residence because he doesn't know where they are living right now).

We got approved today, so I don't think it would be an issue if you don't know it.

Sent : 04/16/2014

Received : 04/21/2014

NOA1: 04/23/2014

Alien registration number : 04/28/2014

event.png

Timeline

Thank you for your replies! I am going to take all the advice I received and hopefully send out my packet by the 20th. Good luck to you all!

OUR LOVE HISTORY

05/27/15 Date NVC received case (I tracked my case on ceac website to approx. this date)

06/03/15:Received email from USEM with Packet 4 instructions. Immediately scheduled medical exam!

Saludos! I am a RPCV from Nicaragua as well so i thought i would respond! (NICA 55)

1.) I don't know the legality of having two U.S. passports. When you are done with service you are supposed to surrender that passport as it is no longer valid or legal for travel. I completed the process for my husband through Nicaragua and I never needed to prove anything about Peace Corps. I used my personal U.S. Passport information. The embassy knows Peace Corps very well and they know we are not committing fraud etc. The only thing i ever did was list Peace Corps on my employment history and then my recent address history proves it as well. The embassy works so closely with Peace Corps that they can easily see that you were there. I would focus on proving your relationship with other things like photos, chat history, emails, letters etc.

2 and 3.) As much as a pain as it is i would write out RAAS. USCIS and NVC wont know what it is so i suggest writing it out as well as the entire address as they state it in Nicaragua. I added all mine and my husbands address histories on separate papers

5.) I wouldnt worry about it. There is actually boxes to mark as you get farther along with the process that you dont know that information. Nicaragua isn't famous for record keeping either haha.

Hope your process goes well! :D

Met: 12/2011

Married: 12/26/2013

Interview Date: 8/27/2014 - APPROVED

REUNITED!: 9/10/2014

POE: Miami

I-751 & I-912 filed together: 6/16/2016

Package Received In CA Service Center: 6/21/2016

I-912: Denied 8/6/2016

I-751 sent w/payment: 8/22/2016

Package Received at CSC: 8/24/2016

NOA-1: 8/29/2016 (dated 8/24/2016)

Biometrics Appt: 10/11/2016

Timeline

Saludos! I am a RPCV from Nicaragua as well so i thought i would respond! (NICA 55)

1.) I don't know the legality of having two U.S. passports. When you are done with service you are supposed to surrender that passport as it is no longer valid or legal for travel. I completed the process for my husband through Nicaragua and I never needed to prove anything about Peace Corps. I used my personal U.S. Passport information. The embassy knows Peace Corps very well and they know we are not committing fraud etc. The only thing i ever did was list Peace Corps on my employment history and then my recent address history proves it as well. The embassy works so closely with Peace Corps that they can easily see that you were there. I would focus on proving your relationship with other things like photos, chat history, emails, letters etc.

2 and 3.) As much as a pain as it is i would write out RAAS. USCIS and NVC wont know what it is so i suggest writing it out as well as the entire address as they state it in Nicaragua. I added all mine and my husbands address histories on separate papers

5.) I wouldnt worry about it. There is actually boxes to mark as you get farther along with the process that you dont know that information. Nicaragua isn't famous for record keeping either haha.

Hope your process goes well! :D

hello A.V.,

I got so excited to see a reply from a fellow Nica PCV! Im from Nica 59! Nicaragua gave us a pretty awesome souvenir dont you think? ;)

Could you help me out with this part please?

Under part 2 item 4 on the I-129f which asks for the alien fiance's city/town/village of birth, should I just put the name of the city or is it better to put the city and the department name?

OUR LOVE HISTORY

Timeline

WAit!

I have another question if someone can please help me...

for all the items on the I-129f that must go on an attachment, does each item need its own page or can they all be fit on one page together?

OUR LOVE HISTORY

Timeline

yet another question...thanks in advance for your help!

For the information on addresses in Nicaragua on the G325A's, do they need to be translated to english? I wrote them in as would be given to anyone in Nicaragua...(spanish neighborhood names, with descriptions as to what it is next to or how far down the block...) what is correct?

OUR LOVE HISTORY

Yes Nicaragua sure did give me the best man ever! :D

1.) On my documents I always wrote the town and the department. Just to be safe.

2.) I put multiple items on the attached sheet under headings ex.) Petitioners address history and then wrote out my addresses etc.

3.) You need to write his address how it is in Nicaragua (Spanish)

Buenas Suerte!

Met: 12/2011

Married: 12/26/2013

Interview Date: 8/27/2014 - APPROVED

REUNITED!: 9/10/2014

POE: Miami

I-751 & I-912 filed together: 6/16/2016

Package Received In CA Service Center: 6/21/2016

I-912: Denied 8/6/2016

I-751 sent w/payment: 8/22/2016

Package Received at CSC: 8/24/2016

NOA-1: 8/29/2016 (dated 8/24/2016)

Biometrics Appt: 10/11/2016

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.