Exocet

Medical Review - Dr. Lyndon Mascarenhas

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my medical yesterday (Sept 4, 2014) so I thought I would give everyone a review of the experience.

My dad and I were leaving from Oshawa, so we took the Go Train to Union, then took the Yonge subway up to St. Clair station.. then walked a few blocks to the office. We arrived over an hour early for the appointment, but it didn't seem to matter. There were lots of other people there waiting for their medical. Most seemed to be people immigrating to Canada.

At the reception desk, she asked me where I was immigrating to, to which I said the US. She then handed me two forms to fill out. The pink one was for their office use, and had spots for name, DOB, address, etc. The second form appeared to be the actual form the doctor filled out for US immigration. I had to put my name, passport number, MTL number, and a few other things on there. It took me about 5 minutes to fill everything out, and then I handed it back to the receptionist. At that point she wanted my passport and passport photo. She made a copy of the info page in my passport, and paperclipped the photo to the form. She told me to take a seat.

She called me up a few minutes later because I forgot to put my postal code on the pink form. I remembered at that point that she hadn't taken my interview notice, so I asked her if she wanted it. She said no. After filling out the rest of my address, I sat down. I probably only waited 15-20 mins before the doctor called me into his office.

He thanked me profusely for choosing his office (he saw I was from Alberta). He asked me if I was in good health, and I said that I thought so. He verified my age, and then asked me if I had any medical conditions. I said yes, and then listed my conditions and associated medications. He wrote them down on the form. He then assured me that none of that mattered for immigration, as the US has a private health care system. He then asked my height and weight and wrote them down. He then looked at my immunization records, and ticked off boxes on the form. I told him that I saw the public health nurse in Alberta to make sure I was up to date on my immunizations, and he thanked me for doing that. He then explained to me that I would need to get a Tuberculosis xray and blood work for syphilis and presented the requisition forms to me (at this office the xray and blood test are all done in the same building). He then looked at what date my interview was, and then since it's next week he put "urgent" on the pink form and told me that they would rush my results so that they would be ready for my interview. He then told me that when I pick up the packet, not to open the brown sealed envelope. He then asked for the $300, which I gave him in twenties, and he just slipped it into his drawer without counting it. He gave me a receipt for the payment, shook my hand, and showed me the door after putting the requisition forms in my hands. I was in his office for probably 5 minutes.

I walked down the hall, and went into the Xray suite. They took my interview letter and passport. I had to sign on the sheet to verify that I wasn't pregnant. They just wrote down information, and then had me take a seat. I waited for about 5 minutes, and then they took me in. I had to take off my shirt and bra, put on a paper gown, and then they took one xray. I waited for 2 seconds while she made sure it was good, and then I got dressed and headed on over to the blood lab. I waited for about 10 minutes there, then they called me in, took one vial of blood, and that was it. I was done!

So all in all it was extremely easy. I had stressed and stressed about the medical because I thought it would be more invasive and scrutinous. I got two letters from my doctor explaining my conditions and medication, and the doctor didn't even want to see it. He didn't do any sort of examination at all.. I was under the impression a doctor would listen to my heart, lungs, take my BP, do a genital check, etc... but he just talked to me and filled out a form. All in all it was really easy! The only awful part of the day was that it was really hot and humid in Toronto, and I sure got sweaty.

I would certainly recommend going to his office because of the ease of the medical. It was very relaxed, and non-invasive.

IR1/CR1 Visa - We are using a lawyer!

Embassy: Montreal, Canada

USCIS

22 Jan 2013 -- packageSent
31 Jan 2013 -- NOA1 from NBC

6 Mar 2013 -- I130 transferred to Orlando local field office (which started the whole nightmare)

Mar 2013 to October 2013 no one would tell us where our case was or what was happening. I suspected the whole time it was just sitting in a corner somewhere in the Orlando field office. I was pretty much right.

October 2013 - get congressman involved. Congressman asks USCIS repeatedly about our case but they won't even tell them anything.

31 Jan 2014- finally get NOA2!!!! (we think the nightmare is over!)

NVC

Our case was not sent from the Orlando field office as it should have been. The nightmare continues. We kept calling NVC and asking if they received our case, and they always said "NO" and that we had to wait 90 business days for it to be received. We called USCIS during this time and they kept telling us it had been sent. After the 90 days of agonizing frustration, NVC then started telling us we had to wait 120 business days. I got our congressman involved again, and they told the congressman it was sitting at the Orlando office this whole time (just as I thought it was!).

22 Apr 2014 -- NVC received
16 May 2014 -- NVC case number assigned
24 May 2014 -- AoS and IV bills paid

28 May 2014 -- Sent AoS and IV Packages

6 June 2014 -- documents scanned

18 July 2014 -- false checklist from NVC

21 July 2014 -- Case complete

28 July 2014 -- receive case complete email from NV

30 July 2014 -- interview booked! September 11 here I come!

Embassy
04 Sept 2014 -- Medical
11 Sept 2014 -- Interview - APPROVED!!!!
15 Sept 2014 -- Package arrived at Loomis location!!!

**03 Oct 2014 -- POE!! **

I NOW LIVE IN OCALA, FL!!!!

Timeline

I also had my interview yesterday; I must have just missed you.

Yes, it was super easy. The entire process took 1 hour from the medical, x-ray and one vile of blood.

The waiting room was a little dirty but his office and both labs were fine.

I did pay the extra $50 to have the package couriered to my house. Although the office was within driving distance, the time off of work, gas, traffic and parking fee made this the easiest solution. He said I should have it within a week.

FYI: the doctor in Vaughn was not taking appointments due to illness, so I would book my medical with Mascarenhas if you are in a rush.

Good luck everyone!

25-March-2013 - I-130 petition sent to Chicago Lockbox

29-March-2013 - NOA1

14-November-2013 - Notice of transfer to Nebraska Service Centre from NBC

08-January-2014 - Approved!

21-January-2014 - NVC Received

04-March-2014 - Case # and Invoice # received via phone (Mailed today)

05-March-2014 - DS-261 available and submitted to NVC

12-March-2014 - Sent ENROLL for EP EMAIL

21-March-2014 - AOS fee shows paid

28-March-2014 - Approved for EP Enrollment OPTIN

17-April-2014 - Paid IV fee payment of $230

23-April-2014 - DS-260 available and submitted

15-May-2014-1st Check-list for AOS

21-May-2014-Send AOS checklist item

5-June-2014-Check-list for DS-260

10-June-2014- Sent checklist item

25-June-2014-NVC agent said case was "scanned in" although I am EP

31-July-2014-Case complete - found out via calling NVC

14-August-2014-Received Interview date via calling NVC

29-September-2014-Interview Scheduled (moved from Sept 22 for work reasons)

01-October -2014 - Passport delivered and VISA in hand

Timeline

Thanks so much. I was planning on using him. How many pictures did they take?

27-09-2013: MARRIED :)

USCIS

23-10-2013: Filed I-130 (TSC)
17-05-2014: NOA2 I-130 Approved!

NVC
02-06-2014: Case arrived at NVC
20-06-2014: Case # and IIN assigned
07-07-2014: DS-261 submitted
08-07-2014: AOS fee invoiced
09-07-2014: AOS fee paid

09-07-2014: NVC said they rec'd DS-261
11-07-2014: AOS package emailed

05-08-2014: IV package emailed
03-09-2014: IV fee invoiced
03-09-2014: IV fee paid

04-09-2014: DS-260 completed

09-09-2014: Checklist Received (I-864ez form, income)
12-09-2014: checklist sent (LAST SCAN DATE)

06-11-2014: Case Complete

Last Leg of the Journey

17-11-2014: Medical (Dr Mascarenhas - Toronto)
18-12-2014: Interview (APPROVED :) )

23-12-2014: Visa Received

24-12-2014: POE (Ambassador Bridge, Detroit-about 35mins processing)

What made you choose this doctor vs going to Medisys in Montreal?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Yay Oshawa! Also from Oshawa but now living in Florida :D

Yeah I'm from Oshawa, but live in Alberta now... and will be moving to Florida! Ocala area :)

What made you choose this doctor vs going to Medisys in Montreal?

I live in Alberta... so it was tough for me to choose the doctor. I was contemplating Montreal, but didn't want to pay all the hotel fees. Plus, my parents live in Oshawa.. so I get to stay with them and eat all their food :) I ended up choosing Mascarenhas because I had read from a previous review that everything was done in the same building (exam, xray, bloodwork), which sounded just ducky. My brother lives in TO too, so I got to meet up with him for lunch... so that all sealed the deal for me. Oh yeah, and I had tried calling the doctor in Scarborough, but couldn't get through. Mascarenhas' office got back to me via email in 2 minutes. That was nice too!

Thanks so much. I was planning on using him. How many pictures did they take?

They only took 1 passport photo. The others that require more than one seem to be because they do the xray and bloodwork elsewhere.

IR1/CR1 Visa - We are using a lawyer!

Embassy: Montreal, Canada

USCIS

22 Jan 2013 -- packageSent
31 Jan 2013 -- NOA1 from NBC

6 Mar 2013 -- I130 transferred to Orlando local field office (which started the whole nightmare)

Mar 2013 to October 2013 no one would tell us where our case was or what was happening. I suspected the whole time it was just sitting in a corner somewhere in the Orlando field office. I was pretty much right.

October 2013 - get congressman involved. Congressman asks USCIS repeatedly about our case but they won't even tell them anything.

31 Jan 2014- finally get NOA2!!!! (we think the nightmare is over!)

NVC

Our case was not sent from the Orlando field office as it should have been. The nightmare continues. We kept calling NVC and asking if they received our case, and they always said "NO" and that we had to wait 90 business days for it to be received. We called USCIS during this time and they kept telling us it had been sent. After the 90 days of agonizing frustration, NVC then started telling us we had to wait 120 business days. I got our congressman involved again, and they told the congressman it was sitting at the Orlando office this whole time (just as I thought it was!).

22 Apr 2014 -- NVC received
16 May 2014 -- NVC case number assigned
24 May 2014 -- AoS and IV bills paid

28 May 2014 -- Sent AoS and IV Packages

6 June 2014 -- documents scanned

18 July 2014 -- false checklist from NVC

21 July 2014 -- Case complete

28 July 2014 -- receive case complete email from NV

30 July 2014 -- interview booked! September 11 here I come!

Embassy
04 Sept 2014 -- Medical
11 Sept 2014 -- Interview - APPROVED!!!!
15 Sept 2014 -- Package arrived at Loomis location!!!

**03 Oct 2014 -- POE!! **

I NOW LIVE IN OCALA, FL!!!!

Yeah I'm from Oshawa, but live in Alberta now... and will be moving to Florida! Ocala area :)

I live in Alberta... so it was tough for me to choose the doctor. I was contemplating Montreal, but didn't want to pay all the hotel fees. Plus, my parents live in Oshawa.. so I get to stay with them and eat all their food :) I ended up choosing Mascarenhas because I had read from a previous review that everything was done in the same building (exam, xray, bloodwork), which sounded just ducky. My brother lives in TO too, so I got to meet up with him for lunch... so that all sealed the deal for me. Oh yeah, and I had tried calling the doctor in Scarborough, but couldn't get through. Mascarenhas' office got back to me via email in 2 minutes. That was nice too!

They only took 1 passport photo. The others that require more than one seem to be because they do the xray and bloodwork elsewhere.

Free place to stay is awesome! Staying a week in Montreal was about as expensive as flying there twice so I don't blame you. My mom was originally supposed to come with me and then backed out to go on a cruise. :( My kid wasn't able to come either because my mom backed out and she had no one to look after her while I did the medical or interview. It's wonderful you could visit with family and friends before going! I moved to Colorado from Alberta.

Medisys requires 3 photos, they staple each to the Dr, X-ray, and blood work sections but all 3 things (dr, blood work, x-ray) are in the same area (same floor of the same building.. you don't even leave the travel clinic section.)

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Awesome. That makes sense. Thanks

27-09-2013: MARRIED :)

USCIS

23-10-2013: Filed I-130 (TSC)
17-05-2014: NOA2 I-130 Approved!

NVC
02-06-2014: Case arrived at NVC
20-06-2014: Case # and IIN assigned
07-07-2014: DS-261 submitted
08-07-2014: AOS fee invoiced
09-07-2014: AOS fee paid

09-07-2014: NVC said they rec'd DS-261
11-07-2014: AOS package emailed

05-08-2014: IV package emailed
03-09-2014: IV fee invoiced
03-09-2014: IV fee paid

04-09-2014: DS-260 completed

09-09-2014: Checklist Received (I-864ez form, income)
12-09-2014: checklist sent (LAST SCAN DATE)

06-11-2014: Case Complete

Last Leg of the Journey

17-11-2014: Medical (Dr Mascarenhas - Toronto)
18-12-2014: Interview (APPROVED :) )

23-12-2014: Visa Received

24-12-2014: POE (Ambassador Bridge, Detroit-about 35mins processing)

Timeline

I also went to this doctor and had the same experience as Exocet above. He did measure my BP though, but it was pretty quick and he was nice. I went to pick up my envelope.

I was able to book the appointment quite promptly and everything was done quickly.

I did also call the doc in Vaughan since he is closer to me but I was informed he will be back on Sept 9 and it takes 10 business days to get results, so it wouldn't have worked for me anyways.

Timeline

Thank you for your review! I also booked with Dr. Lyndon. I'm glad that you can pay to have the envelope shipped - I'm in the Niagara region and really didn't want to drive all the way to Toronto a second time to have to pick it up. Did they only take cash for that payment as well?

Timeline

Yes, they take cash only.

I did get my package in 4 business days; however, the courier rang the door bell and left it on my door. No "door knocker" letter to pick up at the local office just a ring and bolt. I didn't even have time to answer the doorbell before the delivery truck took off!

NOOOOT pleased considered I paid extra for the service and it is such a private and personal document. Not impressed.

25-March-2013 - I-130 petition sent to Chicago Lockbox

29-March-2013 - NOA1

14-November-2013 - Notice of transfer to Nebraska Service Centre from NBC

08-January-2014 - Approved!

21-January-2014 - NVC Received

04-March-2014 - Case # and Invoice # received via phone (Mailed today)

05-March-2014 - DS-261 available and submitted to NVC

12-March-2014 - Sent ENROLL for EP EMAIL

21-March-2014 - AOS fee shows paid

28-March-2014 - Approved for EP Enrollment OPTIN

17-April-2014 - Paid IV fee payment of $230

23-April-2014 - DS-260 available and submitted

15-May-2014-1st Check-list for AOS

21-May-2014-Send AOS checklist item

5-June-2014-Check-list for DS-260

10-June-2014- Sent checklist item

25-June-2014-NVC agent said case was "scanned in" although I am EP

31-July-2014-Case complete - found out via calling NVC

14-August-2014-Received Interview date via calling NVC

29-September-2014-Interview Scheduled (moved from Sept 22 for work reasons)

01-October -2014 - Passport delivered and VISA in hand

Thanks for the info :) I've got quite awhile to go before I'm at this stage... but I wonder if they'd accept a money order? I will have to book medicals for myself and my two daughters, and pay to have the results sent to me (don't want to go back to Toronto :P ) and I don't feel comfortable carrying that much cash on me!!

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.