We Keep Receipts

Columbia University Student Will Drag Her Mattress Around Campus Until Her Rapist Is Gone

108 posts in this topic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/03/emma-sulkowicz-mattress-rape-columbia-university_n_5755612.html?cps=gravity

Emma Sulkowicz is a senior visual arts student at Columbia University. On the first day of her sophomore year, she says, she was raped by a classmate on her mattress.

"Rape can happen anywhere," she explains in the video above. "For me, I was raped in my own dorm bed. Since then, it has basically become fraught for me, and I feel like I've carried the weight of what happened there with me everywhere since then."

Sulkowicz' senior thesis, titled "Mattress Performance" or "Carry That Weight," is a literal expression of that emotional weight. In what she calls an endurance art piece, she will drag her mattress everywhere she goes on campus until her rapist is expelled or leaves. The project, she says, could extend for one day or for the entire remainder of her time at Columbia.

When Sulkowicz's case made it to a university hearing seven months after the actual incident occurred, administrators were confused about how ####### rape could happen and she had to draw a diagram. The experience left her feeling physically ill.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Were the administrators Paul Ryan and Rick Santorum? That might explain their confusion....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/03/emma-sulkowicz-mattress-rape-columbia-university_n_5755612.html?cps=gravity

Emma Sulkowicz is a senior visual arts student at Columbia University. On the first day of her sophomore year, she says, she was raped by a classmate on her mattress.

"Rape can happen anywhere," she explains in the video above. "For me, I was raped in my own dorm bed. Since then, it has basically become fraught for me, and I feel like I've carried the weight of what happened there with me everywhere since then."

Sulkowicz' senior thesis, titled "Mattress Performance" or "Carry That Weight," is a literal expression of that emotional weight. In what she calls an endurance art piece, she will drag her mattress everywhere she goes on campus until her rapist is expelled or leaves. The project, she says, could extend for one day or for the entire remainder of her time at Columbia.

When Sulkowicz's case made it to a university hearing seven months after the actual incident occurred, administrators were confused about how ####### rape could happen and she had to draw a diagram. The experience left her feeling physically ill.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Were the administrators Paul Ryan and Rick Santorum? That might explain their confusion....

It's a shame that she has to endure this. What's worse are more women go through it in silence with no help...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

It's a shame that she has to endure this. What's worse are more women go through it in silence with no help...

This man has supposedly raped 3 women, and not one called the police...

I call BS

I call BS

Check out the movie The Invisible War. Talks about sexual assault/rape in the military. A large majority of the men who raped men/women not only didn't get in trouble, but some were even promoted while the victim was discharged or straddled with PTSD for the rest of their lives. The military deems rape an occupational hazard. We had to watch is as directed by Congress. This happens a lot.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I call BS

Jesus Christ. Don't be ignorant. Do you know ANYTHING about rape culture? Do you honestly believe this is uncommon??

Jesus Christ. Don't be ignorant. Do you know ANYTHING about rape culture? Do you honestly believe this is uncommon??

I will have to admit, rape is a subject that I know very little about. Why would you report a rape to the student council but not the police.

I will have to admit, rape is a subject that I know very little about. Why would you report a rape to the student council but not the police.

Student council is likely to be far more understanding and compassionate than police are. It's incredibly sad how often the victim gets blamed or NOTHING gets done by law enforcement in the event of a rape. There's a reason a lot of women don't tell anyone.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Student council is likely to be far more understanding and compassionate than police are. It's incredibly sad how often the victim gets blamed or NOTHING gets done by law enforcement in the event of a rape. There's a reason a lot of women don't tell anyone.

Not least that it's a humiliating crime.

Many schools have it as part of their codes that such student-on-student assault is handled by a university-run body, essentially taking jurisdiction away from the courts (at least to begin with).

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Not least that it's a humiliating crime.

Yes. And unfortunately, in my experience (not personal experience, but being with someone who was experiencing it), after reporting this humiliating crime, they are further humiliated when all anyone wants to do is tell them what they should have done to prevent it.

I call BS

Happens on college campuses a lot more than you can imagine. The investigations get botched by campus police because the university doesn't want the bad publicity, just like drunk driving and vehicular homicides.

It's also alarming how many times someone gets falsely accused . Not diminishing the horrific act. If she was that embarrassed why is she carrying that silly mattress around bringing publicity to herself.

It just does not add up in the case.