VinhBao MyTam

No joint bank accounts

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

How big of a problem is it if we have separate bank accounts? I have debts, including a judgment that hasn't been paid yet, so if I put my name on her account they can take it. We do have one joint credit card (or at least a card on which I'm an authorized user). We also have the other joint stuff... health insurance, lease, she's the beneficiary on my life insurance policy and 401k. Would it help to join the bank accounts now or would it look like we did it just to get approved. Should I send a letter explaining the reason for the separate bank accounts? Will it help to show significant, frequent transfers between our accounts?

It sounds like you have plenty of joint stuff so I wouldn't be too concerned. You have a good reason for not having a joint account so maybe you could explain that in your cover letter. We didn't have joint property when we filed but we explained why and we had plenty of other evidence. We had no issues with our approval.

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

In this situation, I would just send a letter that explains the situation. You have other, strong evidence listed here that I think will be sufficient. Don't forget to include tax transcripts that show you filed as married, and good luck!

Day 0 - 2 May 2012 Mailed AOS package overnight delivery
Day 139 - 17 September 2012 Interview & APPROVED on the Spot!! :)
Day 145 - 23 September 2012 Received Green Card!

ROC - Eligible June 19 2014

Day 0 - 18 June 2014 Mailed ROC package via 2 day priority

Day 42 - 29 July 2014 Approval and Card Production Email

Day 49 - 5 August 2014 Received Green Card

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Yes, I'll have the taxes. Even though I haven't actually filed this year's yet! That's this weekend. On the auto insurance, I wish they would put both of our names, but what they told me when I asked was that it automatically covers the spouse so they don't put her.

Timeline

On our health insurance policy I was not listed anywhere either, except the documents we used to apply for it. The card itself said "Family Policy." We still used this as evidence by submitting the application and card that said "family". Does your auto insurance possibly say this on the card and/or statements?

If not, I wouldn't worry about it. You do have other strong evidence. Not everything needs to be used, as long as there is a range of documents covering the main things: cohabitation, financials and whatnot.

Timeline

Since it was mentioned here, would it be better to announce any issues with evidence on the cover letter or simply as another part of the whole application.

Just in the cover letter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I don't know if I would put in writing that you were trying to evade a judgment by hiding your funds. It doesn't make you seem honest and it would be best left unsaid. I think showing the transfers between the two accounts will suffice.

I would just include anything you possibly can - mail addressed to you both, IDs with the same address, photos, trips you took together, cards written to both of you, etc.

USCIS would not deny someone for lack of a joint bank account.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Timeline

There is no one document or criterion that is absolute. People get approved without even living together, if everything else shows a bona fide marriage and there's a reason for not cohabitating. I personally think it would be fine to say that you don't put your funds in his name because he has an outstanding judgment. Although if I were the immigration decision officer I'd probably say "Uh huh, don't know if I believe that but don't think I care either."

My advice to people is to give them everything you can and make it easy for them to understand.

Let me offer a thought too.

If an IDO disapproves an application, they have to document in some way that would be satisfactory to an immigration judge, and they may have to defend it. If they approve it, they will not have to defend it to an immigration judge or the applicant, just possibly to their supervisor. So put yourself in the position of the IDO justifying their job performance to their boss. If they give an approval, and their boss picks that file to review to see if they are doing their job, will they have an easier time if a certain document or explanation is present? These folks have presumably seen it all. I would just try to make it as easy as possible for the IDO to explain to their boss why they approved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.