DoodledAndy

3 years of US tax returns needed?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi there,

I hope someone can help as I'm a little concerned about our situation regarding proving my wife's (US citizen) current income.

I know that we need to supply her tax returns for the previous 3 years, but she hasn't been working until May of this year so she doesn't have any tax returns. However, she's now working full time and earning over the poverty guidelines. So I wanted to check that if we supplied evidence of her current income such as wage slips and perhaps a letter from her employer, would that be adequate?

I know it would probably be better to have a joint sponsor but we don't really know anyone who would be able to fill this role so we're having to deal with it on our own.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ok. Well you can't give them what you don't have. If she's never filed taxes not much you can do except as you said, provide pay stubs as evidence and a letter would be good. As to what to put for the forms...either leave the box blank and explain perhaps in your cover letter or put NA. The requirements for that are different for every form.

Edited by ElizabethDarwish
0fb4b110-8058-4795-a9f6-fc7490beaf3d.jpg

Timeline

Thanks for the advice guys.

We've applied for the IR-1 visa, but so far we've only sent off the I-130 form and are waiting (and waiting!) for our NOA2. I didn't file joint taxes with my wife as I still live in the UK until we get the visa processed.

I'm just scared of the possibility of them denying us the visa on this basis and ending up back at square one.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

That's correct. She was looked after financially by her previous partner in the past. She didn't have her own bank account until just before starting her job.

In that case, all she needs do is write an affidavit to the effect she has never filed taxes because she never derived any income that would have required her to do so.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks for the advice guys.

We've applied for the IR-1 visa, but so far we've only sent off the I-130 form and are waiting (and waiting!) for our NOA2. I didn't file joint taxes with my wife as I still live in the UK until we get the visa processed.

I'm just scared of the possibility of them denying us the visa on this basis and ending up back at square one.

I'd doubt they would deny you just for that. Although, getting a joint or co sponsor could help since your wife does not have much income history to show she can support you both.

0fb4b110-8058-4795-a9f6-fc7490beaf3d.jpg

Hi there,

I hope someone can help as I'm a little concerned about our situation regarding proving my wife's (US citizen) current income.

I know that we need to supply her tax returns for the previous 3 years, but she hasn't been working until May of this year so she doesn't have any tax returns. However, she's now working full time and earning over the poverty guidelines. So I wanted to check that if we supplied evidence of her current income such as wage slips and perhaps a letter from her employer, would that be adequate?

I know it would probably be better to have a joint sponsor but we don't really know anyone who would be able to fill this role so we're having to deal with it on our own.

Include pay stubs and/or a letter from her employer.

Have her write an affidavit or letter explaining why she never filed taxes before (was unemployed).

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thanks again for all your advice. I really hope you're all right and it won't cause a problem!

Also one other question for anyone who might know...

If it were an issue and our application was denied would we have to apply again right back from the start, or if we could find a sponsor could we appeal under the different circumstances?

If you need a joint sponsor the embassy will issue a 221g and tell you to find a qualified joint sponsor within XX time period.

bascially it's a "not right now because XX reason" letter and gives you a chance to fix what you need to fix asap.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.