tm81663

Need opinions on 2 questions: 1) Calling daily after IV suggested? 2) Long visit to US

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everyone, need some opinions on a couple questions:

My wife and I are hopefully approaching the end of a long road to getting her green card. We submitted I130 application in August 2013, and have just recently got to the point of submitting our IV docs a few weeks ago. But now, need some help.

1) Should I be calling NVC daily to get a status update after submitting IV documents? (I know is the standard 30 bus. days to wait, or actually now 60, but does it help to call just to hear the same answer: "Under review".). Also, I never got an official notice on approval or not of the AOS. I assumed that if the IV invoice came, and we paid, and we submitted our online form and then the follow IV documents, we are now just at the mercy of NVC and waiting for them to reply through email notification of our acceptance and transfer to embassy. Is that right?

2) Now that we are seeing the end hopefully of this long process, my wife and I are getting anxious. She's a Mexican citizen with a B2 Tourist Visa that allows her to visit the US as often as she likes, as long as she doesn't work. She's visited for long durations before (couple months) before getting married, and we've crossed the border several times together for week long vacations in Arizona without issue. Would it be an issue for her to visit me for a couple of months while we wait for our IV to be approved, and hopefully transferred to Embassy? (she wont' be working or anything, just for a visit). Or would it raise too many questions and threaten our application and goal of permanent residency before year's end?

Thanks ahead of time for the replies. Everyone on here has been great so far, and really appreciate the creators and contributors to this site. It really helps having support of others during what is a very difficult and confusing process at times.

tom

1) you can do whatever you want. Up to you. It takes them 60 calendar days to review anything at this point in time.

2) yes she can still try to visit. She should still bring proof of her ties to Mexico if possible. A denial at entry has no effect on her immigration.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

1) If I were you, I would be calling daily. I say go for it.

2) Being in a similar situation as you (b1/b2 visa, entered everal times on b1 class, coming from high fraud country, having strong ties to Mexico but a STRONGER link to uS, hehe... and having proven immigrant intent by filing i130), I would strongly advise you not to do it.

I talked to the immigration lawyer (a firm is handling our case) about this, and we agreed that it is not worth it to add a layer of complexity IF the officer at the POE chooses to be particularly difficult or is having a bad day. We are definitely subject to a higher scrutiny due to the fact that we have an ongoing immigration process, and while being turned back at the POE is not going to affect your immigration case, I have seen cases here of fellow mexicans that still get thrown in "jail" and then sent back. You guys are so close to the end of the tunnel...

You have to thread carefully if you decide you do want to try it. Misrepresentation is a serious issue that could get you in trouble. This is not really a vacation, you are trying to bring her to live there while the Visa processing concludes.

Not trying to discourage you, just telling you my opinion being in a similar situation as you are.

Best,

UnaMexicana

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

I only called every day when waiting for an interview. Otherwise, especially because I did EP, I know the operators can't see most of what's going on with EP. So why call every day for 60 days? Sounds like using resources that are best left to people who actually HAVE an issue. JMO.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too worried about denial of entry, that's for sure. We have crossed over to Arizona plenty of times since our application has started, and in fact, it almost seems easier than it was before. Also, she'd be coming to visit me in Detroit, where there isn't that high of a worry about Mexican immigration as it is in other parts of the country. That being said, we are planning only about a 1 week visit or so, and she is going to have proof of her job, residence, etc still in Mexico when she comes. So I think we'll be OK. Thanks for the advice everyone.

1) If I were you, I would be calling daily. I say go for it.

2) Being in a similar situation as you (b1/b2 visa, entered everal times on b1 class, coming from high fraud country, having strong ties to Mexico but a STRONGER link to uS, hehe... and having proven immigrant intent by filing i130), I would strongly advise you not to do it.

I talked to the immigration lawyer (a firm is handling our case) about this, and we agreed that it is not worth it to add a layer of complexity IF the officer at the POE chooses to be particularly difficult or is having a bad day. We are definitely subject to a higher scrutiny due to the fact that we have an ongoing immigration process, and while being turned back at the POE is not going to affect your immigration case, I have seen cases here of fellow mexicans that still get thrown in "jail" and then sent back. You guys are so close to the end of the tunnel...

You have to thread carefully if you decide you do want to try it. Misrepresentation is a serious issue that could get you in trouble. This is not really a vacation, you are trying to bring her to live there while the Visa processing concludes.

Not trying to discourage you, just telling you my opinion being in a similar situation as you are.

Best,

UnaMexicana

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too worried about denial of entry, that's for sure. We have crossed over to Arizona plenty of times since our application has started, and in fact, it almost seems easier than it was before. Also, she'd be coming to visit me in Detroit, where there isn't that high of a worry about Mexican immigration as it is in other parts of the country. That being said, we are planning only about a 1 week visit or so, and she is going to have proof of her job, residence, etc still in Mexico when she comes. So I think we'll be OK. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Please do let us know how that went... best of luck and I am "almost envious" that you can be together.. but envy in a good way! :-)

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.