gemandkev

Joint Sponsor Question

5 posts in this topic

Hello guys. I need some big help here. I already have my AOS fee in PAID status and working on my AOS package.(almost done)

Now I have my mom as my joint sponsor. She has lived alone since September 2013. Me and her got an apartment in April 2014. I just got back from living with my wife for a year. So I am kind starting over. Got me a new job yada yada. Well obviously I don't meet the poverty requirements since I lived out of country in 2013 and I had 0 income. I did not work at all. I am not her dependent.

I was doing my moms AOS and noticed on her Tax transcript that she filed as having one dependent in 2013. My sister who is 21. She moved out of my moms in September 2013 to live with her fiancé who she is still with today. So my question is. Does she have to put her down as a dependent on the household section? She is not dependent now. SHe isn't legally responsible for her anymore at all. Not since she turned 21 and moved out last year. Because my mom makes enough for the househould of 2 poverty guideline, but if she is required to put 3 because she claimed her for most of 2013, then she is short like 2k.

Any advice guys? I am waiting to send the package. I have been in this process for a few months. I hope it isn't all for nothing.

Thanks!

Also to add. Could she use her current income? she has been at her job for 3 years. Her income last year on her tax was 22k. She had a pay raise this year and works more. I have her check stubs from January up until August 8th. It shows on there her YTD earnings are already at 18,235.00. She makes around 1000-1100 every 2 weeks. So that's about 2000 a month. SO multiply that by the rest of the months in the year and it bring her total year income for 2014 to 28,000 dollars. That is plenty of income to support. As I stated her check stubs show her hourly rate. 15/hr and working 36-42 hours a week consistently. SHe obviously has enough to support my wife. I myself just got a new full time job, so I wont make enough for the entire year anyways.

Any advice or help would be awesome. I am worrying quite a bit now.

I think I will just send the AOS package off with proof of her current year income being her main support for my spouse. It doesn't really specify or I don't understand the guide on this part, but to me it makes sense that current year income should trump past years tax income as proof of support and sponsorship.

Yes she needed to put down your sister as per her last tax return, however being currently employed above the necessary guideline for 3 (as long as you don't live in Hawaii or Alaska) should help along with the proof of current income. Be precise on the current income and don't round up too much (nearest dollar should be fine.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Yes she needed to put down your sister as per her last tax return, however being currently employed above the necessary guideline for 3 (as long as you don't live in Hawaii or Alaska) should help along with the proof of current income. Be precise on the current income and don't round up too much (nearest dollar should be fine.)

Thank you for the reply.

I think I understand. Just to confirm. Ok so she does has to put my sister. OK got it. SO that brings household to 3 total. Which requires poverty min of 24k. Ok Got it. Her most recent return for 2013 year was under that at 22k. So I get from what you say, that at the end of 2014. My mom would have made 28k (rounded down) for the year 2014, so that meets the requirement of household of 3.. Ok that's good to know. I was worried they wouldn't count her income for this year of 2014. I was just making absolutely sure before sending the AOS and getting denied.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.