garya505

Nagoya airport connection time?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I've gone from Manila to Nagoya to Narita before. I did not have to process through immigration in Nagoya. You have to go through security again at Nagoya, but then directly to your departure gate. Nagoya is not a large terminal and Northwest often uses the Nagoya - Narita path to balance the load and they will coordinate the arrival/departure times so as not to cause a conflict. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Ah, but you have a US passport. I think the Japanese are rather strict, and a traveler with a Philippine passport and US K1 VISA could have a little more trouble. Being turned back at Nagoya would be somewhat of a problem. It's funny NWA customer service couldn't answer my question, but like I said, it's not their problem if you can get through the security checks or not. The burden of making sure you have the requirements for a particular country is on the traveler, not the airline.

Anyway I booked Continental through Guam and Honolulu to LAX. NWA lost my business this time. All their customer service people could tell was to call international reservations number. Do you think the reservation people know anything about getting through Nagoya with a K1 VISA? :lol:

I've gone from Manila to Nagoya to Narita before. I did not have to process through immigration in Nagoya. You have to go through security again at Nagoya, but then directly to your departure gate. Nagoya is not a large terminal and Northwest often uses the Nagoya - Narita path to balance the load and they will coordinate the arrival/departure times so as not to cause a conflict. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Ah, but you have a US passport. I think the Japanese are rather strict, and a traveler with a Philippine passport and US K1 VISA could have a little more trouble. Being turned back at Nagoya would be somewhat of a problem. It's funny NWA customer service couldn't answer my question, but like I said, it's not their problem if you can get through the security checks or not. The burden of making sure you have the requirements for a particular country is on the traveler, not the airline.

Anyway I booked Continental through Guam and Honolulu to LAX. NWA lost my business this time. All their customer service people could tell was to call international reservations number. Do you think the reservation people know anything about getting through Nagoya with a K1 VISA? :lol:

I'm not sure I understand what your worried about. I have been through Nagoya 5 times and other than going through a metal detector there was no document check other than looking at the ticket. You stay in the international area and never go through immigration. It's a cattle call getting through the security check before you get through to the departure area. While you are in line to go through the metal detector a nice lady comes by and looks at your ticket and verifying who you are by looking at the picture page of your passport. A lot of Filipinos with Filipino passports stood by me on most occasions. The never looked at any more than the picture and name on the first page of the passport. Really Gary, there isn't any problem going through Nagoya regardless of where your from.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i went through Nagoya-Narita when i flew NorthWest when i first moved to the US. you get off the plane from Manila...walk a little bit to another terminal to board the plane going to the US (LAX). yeah, you go through a security check one more time but all you have to do is show your boarding pass (maybe ID/passport on this day and age of maximum security checks). heck i was 16 then...all by myself and i was fine. yes, it was only 55 minutes in between.

Fate is building a bridge of chance for the one you love...

K1 (I-129F) to CSC to Manila Embassy, Philippines

Sent : 01-28-2006 / Interview: 09-14-2006 / POE: 10-11-2006 / Applied for SSN card: 11-17-2006 / Received SSN card: 11-27-2006 / Got Hitched: 11-09-2006 !!!

AOS and EAD Application

Sent via USPS Priority: 11-28-2006 / Received @ Chicago: 12-01-2006 / NOA1 AOS & EAD: 12-06-2006 / Biometrics Appt: 12-22-2006 / Interview Date: 03-13-2007 / EAD Card Production Ordered: 02-15-2007 / EAD Card Sent: 02-20-2007 / EAD Card Received: 02-22-2007

[Approved: 03-13-2007 / GC Received: 03-22-2007 / CA License Issued: 04-12-2007 / Removing Conditions: 12-13-2008]

Removing Conditions

Sent via USPS Priority: 12-19-2008 / Received @ CSC: 12-22-2008 / NOA: 12-25-2008 / Biometrics Appt: 01-14-2009 / Card Production ordered: 02-13-2009 / GC Received: sometime in March 2009

Timeline

Well I guess we have our answer then. Unfortunately I am getting rather short of time so I bought another ticket on Continental. My fiancee would be devastated if we had a problem and I couldn't take that chance. I guess I'm a little protective when it comes to her feelings. :)

I guess we still haven't heard from anyone who actually went through Nagoya to Narita with a K1 or K3 VISA, did we?

Trust me Gary. It really does not matter where you are from or what kind of a visa you have at Nagoya. It's an international transfer and they don't look at visas. The trip I am about to take will be my 14 round trip to asia/pacific area. When you do an international transfer there are no immigrations to worry about.

Timeline
I guess we still haven't heard from anyone who actually went through Nagoya to Narita with a K1 or K3 VISA, did we?

Trust me Gary. It really does not matter where you are from or what kind of a visa you have at Nagoya. It's an international transfer and they don't look at visas. The trip I am about to take will be my 14 round trip to asia/pacific area. When you do an international transfer there are no immigrations to worry about.

I hear what you're saying, but NWA flight 78 from Nagoya to Narita is a domestic Japanese flight, so I'm still curious how they manage to do an international transfer to a domestic flight, and then from a domestic flight back to an international flight again, all with no immigration checks. Really, it's not the airlines problem if they know 55 minutes is normally enough for transfers at Nagoya but the Japanese immigration people decide they would like to ask a few questions of the K1 VISA holder, and you miss your connection. They would just say it's not their problem to make sure you meet foreign government's security requirements.

I hear what you're saying, but NWA flight 78 from Nagoya to Narita is a domestic Japanese flight, so I'm still curious how they manage to do an international transfer to a domestic flight, and then from a domestic flight back to an international flight again, all with no immigration checks. Really, it's not the airlines problem if they know 55 minutes is normally enough for transfers at Nagoya but the Japanese immigration people decide they would like to ask a few questions of the K1 VISA holder, and you miss your connection. They would just say it's not their problem to make sure you meet foreign government's security requirements.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand. The flight goes from Manila to Nagoya to Narita and then to the US? I don't see how they do that. Anyone on that flight would have to have a japan visa if one is required from your country. I have flown NW 8 or 9 times now. I never had a flight that went from Nagoya to Narita. I am going NW on my next flight. From Detroit to Nagoya to Manila.

That is a rather unique routing. Obviously, the person that booked your reservation does not understand the immigration problem.

Good thing you made the change.

Timeline

I'm sorry, I didn't understand. The flight goes from Manila to Nagoya to Narita and then to the US? I don't see how they do that. Anyone on that flight would have to have a japan visa if one is required from your country. I have flown NW 8 or 9 times now. I never had a flight that went from Nagoya to Narita. I am going NW on my next flight. From Detroit to Nagoya to Manila.

Yes, exactly. It's NWA Flight 71 MNL-NGO, then Flight 78 NGO-NRT, then Flight 2 NRT-LAX. See below, from the NWA website.

I think people are confusing flights that simply connect in Nagoya OR Narita with this itinerary that uses the NGO-NRT flight.

Northwest Airlines 72

Booking Class: H / Economy

Ticket Designator:

Meal: Breakfast

Equipment: 744

Sat, Feb 24

3hr 35min

6:45am Depart Manila (MNL)

11:20am Arrive Nagoya (NGO)

Approximate Distance: 1740 miles Plane Change

Northwest Airlines 78

Ticket Designator:

Meal: none

Equipment: 757

Sat, Feb 24

1hr 20min

12:15pm Depart Nagoya (NGO)

1:35pm Arrive Tokyo (NRT)

Approximate Distance: 195 miles Plane Change

Northwest Airlines 2

Ticket Designator:

Meal: Dinner

Equipment: 744

Sat, Feb 24

9hr 25min

3:15pm Depart Tokyo (NRT)

7:40am Arrive Los Angeles (LAX)

Approximate Distance: 5444 miles

Happy safe flying on your trips.

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

• 1 month later...
Timeline
I'm looking at a flight on NWA that connects in Nagoya Japan with a 55 minute minute connect time. This makes me a little nervous thinking about missing the connection and getting stuck in the airport for a day or so. The connection is NWA flight 72 to NWA flight 78. Has anyone done this? Any ideas?

i have flown the nwa 72 a couple of times.. you will have not problem making that connection. it will be right on the same part of the airport

it is typically on time... or early