Rigor_noughtis

Original Documents -London US Embassy

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

My fiance has only sent me photocopies of the her divorce papers, affadavit of support & tax return for the past year.

Would the Embassy in London accept these for my K1 interview, since all me own documents are originals?

She's loathe to send the originals, since we've had parcels go missing in the post in the past.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to UK Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is embassy-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

The documents all have to be originals. Especially the affidavit of support and divorce papers. The transcripts you can get away with photocopies because they are printed on plain paper anyway, especially if you got them online. If a full tax return, it should be original signatures.

If you are concerned about the parcels getting lost, she should send them insured for the value of the docs. Certified copies of vital records can be $50 to replace depending on where they are issued. I sent my wife all the original docs including the NOA2 for the K1.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Hi,

My fiance has only sent me photocopies of the her divorce papers, affadavit of support & tax return for the past year.

Would the Embassy in London accept these for my K1 interview, since all me own documents are originals?

She's loathe to send the originals, since we've had parcels go missing in the post in the past.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

You don't need her divorce certificate

Photocopies of tax document is fine. The only actual "original" would be one mailed to the IRS if filing by mail.

She really should have mailed you a signed copy of the I -134. That has no value. They may let you get by with a photocopy. It's not unheard of in London.

You were pretty quick to take the advice of a person on a different visa at a consulate other than London. Hope you see this so you can get a good night's sleep knowing it may be fine.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/fiance-k-1.html

The above link clearly states that you need the divorce certificates for the beneficiary and the USC fiance. How else would they prove to the consul, they are both eligible to be married? A copy is fine to be sent with the petition, however they always require the original at the interview.

Also I didn't mention anything about him being denied or the possibility of being denied. I simply stated that he would need the originals. Therefore, the consulate may not approve the visa right away, but give him the chance to obtain the docs.

To the OP: You didn't mention that your interview was tomorrow, but I wouldn't worry because they should give you a chance to obtain the docs.

I think you will be ok with the divorce cert as the US will do it's own checks anyway, maybe at the NVC stage or before.

Good luck today, let us know how you got on

Let us know how you get on. I've got my interview on Thursday - I have an original signature on the I134 but the rest of the docs are photocopies (including my fiance's divorce decree).

You'll be fine, my fiancee divorce decree was a copy as are most I suspect.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

OK! Got back through the door about 15 minutes ago from my interview.

:dancing: VISA APPROVED :dancing:

I seperated out all the needed documents, handed them over without pointing out the lack of originals and waited to be told I'd have to go, get the originals and reschedule...

Instead, the bloke took them from me, checked over them, nodded, scanned my fingerprints and then directed me to the cashier 3 booths down to pay the MRV fee!

The subject of the documents was never brought up!

Then I got my receipt, a barcode, sat, waited, waited, waited, waited some more, had a five minute chat with another person, and had my visa approved!

Well, it was a teeny bit more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

It seems the folks at the London embassy are a fairly relaxed crowd!

Edited by Rigor_noughtis

Congratulations! If only the other embassies/consulates were like the London one. I have heard of them being more lax.

There is a reason it's more relaxed, that being people who go there for things like a K1 (especially if they are British anyway) are far more likely to be going there for the right reasons than in many other countries. It's not a high fraud country.

OP, glad it worked out alright for you.

Edited by nobbie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Glad it worked out for you, good luck with the move :)

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

There is a reason it's more relaxed, that being people who go there for things like a K1 (especially if they are British anyway) are far more likely to be going there for the right reasons than in many other countries. It's not a high fraud country.

OP, glad it worked out alright for you.

I think you're missing some facts. There are plenty of non-British citizens who live in the UK and want to travel to the U.S. either for tourism or to move there. My wife happens to be Polish born. She and I, came to live in the UK, for two reasons. The main one was because I was able to file my petition for her through the quickest route possible - DCF. This could not be possible in her native Poland. It doesn't matter what country you're in, there are plenty of people out there who are trying to get visas for all the wrong reasons. The Embassy staff in London just happens to be very professional and there's no reason to be rude or cold in order to follow their procedures.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.