Jaysarah86

Crossing border with K1

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, new to the site and have a question. I read a while back on a different site that Canadians with a valid K1 visa do not actually have to 'use' the visa while crossing the border into the US. It was stated that Canadians can freely cross back and forth to the US due to the fact a visa is not needed to enter. Is this true? Do the border crossing guys know you have a K1 if you do not provide it to them? I know the visa is generally good for 6 months and have 90 days after entry. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The k1 visa is stamped in your passport... should they see it, then chances are you have to activate it. It's a one-time entry visa. I get what you mean by not needing a special visitors visa to enter the US as a Canadian, but not sure whether you can ask them to not use your visa for this particular visit. I'm guessing that they won't allow it, because how would they trace your time in the US? If you have other visits, you can only stay up to 184 (I believe is the number of days, or six months) each year. If you have the visa, they will likely want to process is so they can log your stay in the US and not have you be out of status. Maybe others can chime in, if they haven't used their visa.

I was approved on my K1 and my next visa I activated my visa and moved.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Technically this is true, though not guaranteed. I drove through for a short visit a few weeks before actually immigrating. I simply told the CBP officer that though I had a K-1 Visa, it was not my intention to use the visa for a few more weeks, and was only entering as a visitor (it was my fiancee's birthday). He let me pass without any hassle.

HOWEVER, I would stress that this is totally up to the discretion of the officer you speak to as to whether he wants to let you in or not. They had become somewhat familiar with me over the past couple of years, but I still made sure I had evidence that I planned to return to Canada a few days later.

You really don't have the option to "not provide it to them"...the visa itself is permanently attached to your passport, so they'll probably notice it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

because how would they trace your time in the US?

All flight travel is tracked and reconciled upon your departure , so they do know how many days you been in the country if you flew. I did read that as of June of this year, they were going to start also tracking land crossings of US and Canadian citizens respectively by reconciling your re-entry date to Canada (non-US/Canadian citizens have been tracked for at least a year or so now, I believe). Not sure if that's actually come into play for citizens or not yet. Previously they really had no idea how long you stayed if you drove.

Edited by templeton

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The "visa" takes up a whole page...so it is pretty hard to miss......Yes, some Cdn K1'ers have had success....but it is up to the discretion of the Officer! Once you have had it endorsed..do NOT leave the USA (including Canada) until u get AP or the greencard.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Hello, new to the site and have a question. I read a while back on a different site that Canadians with a valid K1 visa do not actually have to 'use' the visa while crossing the border into the US. It was stated that Canadians can freely cross back and forth to the US due to the fact a visa is not needed to enter. Is this true? Do the border crossing guys know you have a K1 if you do not provide it to them? I know the visa is generally good for 6 months and have 90 days after entry. Thanks!

After my interview was approved (along with a fellow VJ-er), we were told that you CAN visit in the US without activating your K1 visa, but you must be very explicit in your intentions to do so. This was at the Vancouver consulate. You can ask for more clarification after your interview- it didn't pertain to my situation so I don't remember all the specific details mentioned about it.

However, as stated previously, whether you are permitted entry or not is entirely up to the whims of the CO (like all border crossings), so it is not just a matter of crossing freely until you choose otherwise.

Timeline

What if she used her enhanced license instead of paper passport?

I don't know if it's possible. Since June 1, 2009 they made the switch to essentially requiring a passport to get into the US. They make exceptions, but they make it difficult. At least that's what I've heard. I could be wrong!

Our History - 5 years of marriage, known each other for 8 years (and counting!)
06/15/2006 - Met my husband online
05/06/2007 - Met in person for the first time in San Francisco, CA
11/04/2007 - Met in person again for two weeks in San Francisco, CA
12/15/2007 - Decide to be friends, due to distance
06/01/2009 - Entered Canada with my husband, intending to return to the US (started living together)
06/09/2009 - My husband and I fall in love
09/20/2009 - Married in Calgary, AB, Canada
06/09/2010 - 1st Anniversary
06/09/2011 - 2nd Anniversary
12/18/2011 - Expecting our first child
06/09/2012 - 3rd Anniversary
08/31/2012 - Our son is born in St. Albert, AB, Canada

06/09/2013 - 4th Anniversary

06/09/2014 - 5th Anniversary

USCIS - 36 days
12/10/2012 - Mailed I-130
01/01/2013 - Received NOA1 email
01/11/2013 - Received NOA1 letter in mail
02/05/2013 - NOA2 (Approved) but update is not reflected anywhere
02/19/2013 - Received NOA2 letter in mail

NVC
03/06/2013 - AOS fee invoice received
04/18/2013 - AOS fee paid
04/21/2013 - AOS paperwork mailed

01/06/2014 - Supporting documents requested

06/24/2014 - Mailed supporting documents

07/03/2014 - Email verifying documents were received

07/10/2014 - Received interview date

08/11/2014 - Scheduled medical

08/15/2014 - Scheduled interview date (APPROVED!)

08/18/2014 - Visa status changes to ISSUED on CEAC website

08/19/2014 - Waybill # for Loomis arrives in e-mail

08/20/2014 - Visa/Passport ready for pick up early morning

Timeline

I would assume the enhanced driver's license would be similar to entering using a Nexus card. Meaning you would not use your passport and the officer would not see your K1 visa in it. Best to call ahead and ask, also to be prepared to be turned away. Better safe than sorry!

I don't know if it's possible. Since June 1, 2009 they made the switch to essentially requiring a passport to get into the US. They make exceptions, but they make it difficult. At least that's what I've heard. I could be wrong!

That is the sole purpose of the enhanced license, the program also started in 2009.

Technically, you are not supposed to have more than one visa, and crossing gets you a visitors visa even though you do not get any documentation stating so. Some people have had issues at the border because the CBP saw the K-1 in the passport, others have not. I have not heard of anyone having issues with the K-1 process after successfully entering the US as a visitor while having the K-1 issued.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

I can't speak on the whole not activating the K1 visa thing, but my husband never had a passport when we met and the first 6 months of our dating he applied for and used only an enhanced driver's license to cross the border each time. He finally did get a passport but there is no requirement to have a passport to visit if you have an enhanced driver's license. (Assuming you're the USC not needing a visa in a passport eventually).

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

Technically, you are not supposed to have more than one visa, and crossing gets you a visitors visa even though you do not get any documentation stating so.

This part of your statement is not exactly accurate. Canadians do not need a Visa, or get a Visa to visit. They can get Visa's for other purposes.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

This part of your statement is not exactly accurate. Canadians do not need a Visa, or get a Visa to visit. They can get Visa's for other purposes.

Technically we have the equivilant of a B2 visa. I've had that written in my stamp before. We just don't need to apply for one. That is what the other poster meant.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Yep....we Cdns are special!! We don't need to apply for it ahead of time, and if they deny us, we simply turn around (maybe out airfare $$) I know in other cases..such as Nicaragua and many others, they fork over the $$$, have to goto the Embassy/consulate and get denied, they are out the $$$ it cost to apply.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.