Otto

German Education - Translates in USA?

10 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the correct forum but.

My fiance has a diploma (Social Work) in Germany - Does anyone have information/ideas how to find out how to equate this education to a US diploma?

The German education system, while good, is different from the US. Seems I can't find much information on this topic.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Filed: Timeline
Not sure if this is the correct forum but.

My fiance has a diploma (Social Work) in Germany - Does anyone have information/ideas how to find out how to equate this education to a US diploma?

The German education system, while good, is different from the US. Seems I can't find much information on this topic.

Thanks in advance for any help...

I work as a G.E.D, examiner and I have seen many people come from different countries in order to obtain their G.E.D. because sadly in many instances, most foreigners have to start from the bottom up. I know of people who have PHDs in their country and for the most part it is not recognized here in the States.

hello,

I have exactly the same problem. I just got my degree in germany and went right after it to the states. Now my ead got approved and I have no idea where to apply because I dont know hom to trnaslate my degree.

I have a diploma in pedagogy. (diplompaedagogin) That I think is translated to education. I majored in APE and special education but that you cant see just from how the degree is called.

I will be thankful for any help.

Susanne

blackribbonsmall.png

R.I.P Diana

1982-2008

Removal Timeline

11/17/08 - mailed out documents

11/19/08 - documents received by USCIS

11/25/08 - check cashed

12/10/08 - Biometrics letter

12/19/08 - second Biometrics letter

12/26/09 - went to Boston for Biometrics Appointment - THEY WERE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!

01/13/09 - Biometrics Appointment in Boston

01/13/09 - several phonecalls to uscis to find out where my extension letter is - will send out extension letter which will take up to 3 weeks

01/21/09 - phonecall to uscis about the extension letter. They are still working on the service request! told me to go to an infopass

appointment

01/22/09 - went to SS office to get a new SS-card. They won't issue a new one because me GC expires in 2 weeks.

01/22/09 - talked to the Office of my congressman. They will look into the issue and call me back - hopefully!!!!

01/26/09 - talked to the Office of the congressman. She read an email to me from USCIS stating that they sent out the letter on Friday!

They said I should have it in 7 days! So now we wait.....again!

01/29/09 - extension letter received!

05/15/09 - Removal of conditions approved :) ..waiting for actual card now :)

06/01/09 - Card in the mail!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I had the same exact problem. My degree was completely worthless here in the US and had to start university again from stratch. In some ways good, since I knew all the subjects from before, but bad cos I have to start again and pay the tuition fees. And unforuntately when my husband comes (hopefully) to the US he will have the same problem I think.

Best bet is it to talk to someone in admissions at a university. Most universities can help with this and have internation student support which deal with this type of a thing.

Best of luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

All of my education is from overseas, both the United Kingdom and Ireland respectively. When I arrived here in the US I sent away both my transcripts to a company which evaluates education. There are numerous different companies and the prices range from close to $100 up to $250. Make sure you get a reputable company, and get a few copies of their translations and evaluations.

Here are some websites that might be off help.

http://www.wes.org/

http://www.gcevaluators.com/about.htm

http://www.naces.org/members.htm

In general your education should transfer over to US standards, in fact a majority of the time European education is more prestigious than that of the US.

Good Luck!

hey kelly,

thank you very much for your tip. I already checked out their websites.

I jut ran into one problem...........in germany we dont get grades for each course. we have exams in the end of our studies about the whole time, so in the end we have just 5 grades plus the grade for the final thesis.

Do you know by chance what type of evaluation I would need then?

Thanks a lot!

Susanne

Edited by twopens

blackribbonsmall.png

R.I.P Diana

1982-2008

Removal Timeline

11/25/08 - check cashed

12/26/09 - went to Boston for Biometrics Appointment - THEY WERE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!

01/13/09 - several phonecalls to uscis to find out where my extension letter is - will send out extension letter which will take up to 3 weeks

01/21/09 - phonecall to uscis about the extension letter. They are still working on the service request! told me to go to an infopass

appointment

01/22/09 - went to SS office to get a new SS-card. They won't issue a new one because me GC expires in 2 weeks.

01/22/09 - talked to the Office of my congressman. They will look into the issue and call me back - hopefully!!!!

01/26/09 - talked to the Office of the congressman. She read an email to me from USCIS stating that they sent out the letter on Friday!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm assuming it probably works the same way as in Germany. For instance, I went to Kaplan University and am a Certified Crime Scene Technician. I also am working on my degree in Network Administration ... however, I cannot do anything with that here in Germany. It's just not accepted. I imagine that your fiance may have to go to American College.

Since this is just a guess, I do hope you find out something positive though.

Sandra

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
hey kelly,

thank you very much for your tip. I already checked out their websites.

I jut ran into one problem...........in germany we dont get grades for each course. we have exams in the end of our studies about the whole time, so in the end we have just 5 grades plus the grade for the final thesis.

Do you know by chance what type of evaluation I would need then?

Thanks a lot!

Susanne

Hey Susanne,

It shouldn't really make any difference how the degree is examined, if the company is decent they should be able to convert it into US standards. My studies form the UK consisted of four years and a total of ten exams over the four years. This translated into a Undergraduate Degree with 120 semester hours, with a dual major of English and Education. I guess it would do no harm to call or email one of the companies and see what they say. Good Luck with it all!!!

thanks kelly, I will email them and see what they suggest :)

Susanne

blackribbonsmall.png

R.I.P Diana

1982-2008

Removal Timeline

11/25/08 - check cashed

appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.