aelix

Approved at interview! My Sydney consulate experience...

11 posts in this topic

Hi all

I had my final visa interview on Tuesday morning and it went well - only took about an hour all up and I've been approved. Here's how it played out for those who are preparing for theirs:

• My appointment time was 8.30am but I showed up at 8am since I was in the city already. I went up to Level 10 (reception) where you need to go through security.
  • Security is similar to at an airport - you put your bag/s through a scanner and go through a metal detector yourself. You can't take any electronic devices, USB sticks or even CDs with you... in my case the clinic that did my medical included a CD with my chest x-rays and as a result I wasn't allowed to take the envelope up to the interview. More on that later.
  • I took all the docs requested in the interview letter as well as copies of the forms I'd submitted previously, just in case I needed to refer to any of those. I should have taken a book or magazine because in the interview room there are only women's mags :-P
  • The first step once my number was called was a bunch of admin stuff - handing over my passport, prepaid envelope and the two US passport photos, doing fingerprints etc. I basically stood at the window while the lady looked through documents for 10-15 minutes.
  • I had to go back down to reception to get my medical envelope because of the security issue I mentioned earlier. They made me open the envelope and take out the CD, then take the rest of the materials back up.
  • After the admin stuff I sat and waited for 15-20 minutes for my interview. This was with an American officer who literally asked me 6 questions: when did I marry my wife? How did we meet? What does her dad (my co-sponsor) do for work? Why are we moving to the US? What do I plan to do for work there? Where do we plan to live on arrival? Our discussion lasted maybe 6-7 minuets and then she said "congratulations, you've been approved".

I had brought relationship and domicile evidence with me but wasn't asked for anything. But I saw another guy getting grilled quite a bit for his interview so it depends on individual circumstances. My case was about as straightforward as they get: Australian by birth, married to my American wife 5 years, already have 2 kids, moving to be with family. The other guy was Pakistani and had an arranged marriage to an American girl he had never met before etc. etc.

Once my interview was done the lady explained the next steps. The next day I got the email re. dispatch of my passport with visa and my entry package. That should arrive today and then I'm all done!

Many thanks to the VJ folks who helped me fill out forms and avoid common mistakes. Happy to answer any questions about my experience.

I-130 sent: 06-May-13

I-130 NOA1: 13-May-13

I-130 approved: 01-Apr-14 [323 days]

I-864 fee paid: 01-Apr-14

IV fee paid: 07-Apr-14

I-864 submitted: 09-Apr-14

DS-260 submitted: 12-Apr-14

DS-260 docs sent: 28-Apr-14

I-864 checklist rec'd: 14-May-14

Case complete @ NVC: 24-Jun-14

Medical completed: 10-Aug-14

Interview date: 5-Aug-14

Visa & packet rec'd: 7-Aug-14

POE: 14-Oct-14

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all

I had my final visa interview on Tuesday morning and it went well - only took about an hour all up and I've been approved. Here's how it played out for those who are preparing for theirs:

• My appointment time was 8.30am but I showed up at 8am since I was in the city already. I went up to Level 10 (reception) where you need to go through security.

• Security is similar to at an airport - you put your bag/s through a scanner and go through a metal detector yourself. You can't take any electronic devices, USB sticks or even CDs with you... in my case the clinic that did my medical included a CD with my chest x-rays and as a result I wasn't allowed to take the envelope up to the interview. More on that later.

• I took all the docs requested in the interview letter as well as copies of the forms I'd submitted previously, just in case I needed to refer to any of those. I should have taken a book or magazine because in the interview room there are only women's mags :-P

• The first step once my number was called was a bunch of admin stuff - handing over my passport, prepaid envelope and the two US passport photos, doing fingerprints etc. I basically stood at the window while the lady looked through documents for 10-15 minutes.

• I had to go back down to reception to get my medical envelope because of the security issue I mentioned earlier. They made me open the envelope and take out the CD, then take the rest of the materials back up.

• After the admin stuff I sat and waited for 15-20 minutes for my interview. This was with an American officer who literally asked me 6 questions: when did I marry my wife? How did we meet? What does her dad (my co-sponsor) do for work? Why are we moving to the US? What do I plan to do for work there? Where do we plan to live on arrival? Our discussion lasted maybe 6-7 minuets and then she said "congratulations, you've been approved".

I had brought relationship and domicile evidence with me but wasn't asked for anything. But I saw another guy getting grilled quite a bit for his interview so it depends on individual circumstances. My case was about as straightforward as they get: Australian by birth, married to my American wife 5 years, already have 2 kids, moving to be with family. The other guy was Pakistani and had an arranged marriage to an American girl he had never met before etc. etc.

Once my interview was done the lady explained the next steps. The next day I got the email re. dispatch of my passport with visa and my entry package. That should arrive today and then I'm all done!

Many thanks to the VJ folks who helped me fill out forms and avoid common mistakes. Happy to answer any questions about my experience.

Awesome and Congrats :)

Please paste your consulate review in the review section! http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/dos_review.php

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

congratulations! cannot wait to hear those words!

April 15, 2014 : I-129F Package Sent

April 19, 2014 : I-129F Package Delivery Confirmation via USPS

April 24, 2014 - NOA1 received via email/text

April 25, 2014 - Alien Registration Number changed

April 28, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail.

May 23, 2014 - RFE received in mail.

June 5, 2014 - Response to RFE Sent

June 11, 2014 - NOA2 Approval via website!!!

June 14, 2014 - NOA2 received in mail.

June 24, 2014 - NVC Case # via phone!

June 25, 2014 - NVC forwarded case to Embassy

June 26, 2014 - Embassy received case.

June 26, 2014 - NVC letter in mail.

August 4-5, 2014 - Medical

August 6, 2014 - CFO Seminar

August 13, 2014 - VIsa Interview (Expedited)

August 19, 2014 - VISA ready for pick up!

August 20, 2014 - Packet 3 Arrived

August 26, 2014 - POE!

August 26, 2014 - Notice to schedule an Interview...

October 23, 2014 - AOS/EAD Package Sent

October 30, 2014 - NOA1 via website

November 1, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail

November 6, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled in mail

November 19, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment

I'll be doing my interview (HOPEFULLY!) in Sydney so this was great to read. :)

I am the beneficiary. My husband is the petitioning USC.

Relationship:

Met in Washington DC - 13 February 2013

6 visits (Guam and Australia) in 2013

Engaged on Guam - 31 December 2013

Start living together in Australia - 3 March 2014

<3 Married in Queensland <3 - 28 June 2014

USCIS/NVC:

I-130 Package received Chicago - 14 July 2014

NOA1 - 17 July 2014

NOA2 - 28 July 2014

Email from NVC with Case Number etc - 18 August 2014

Completed DS-261 online - 19 August 2014

Paid AOS Bill - 20 August 2014

AOS Bill shows "PAID" 22 August 2014

Sent AOS Package to Parents in Law for signing 5 September 2014

AOS Package scanned at NVC 19 September 2014

IV Bill Paid 24 September 2014

DS-260 completed online 25 September 2014

Send IV Package 26 September 2014 (from NH)

IV Package Scanned 29 September 2014

CHECKLIST RECEIVED 26 November 2014

Checklist sent from NH 8 December 2014

Checklist scanned 11 December 2014

Case Complete 4 February 2015 - 192 days since NOA2. 171 days at NVC.

Medical Appointment 12 February 2015

P4 Letter Received 13 February 2015

Interview 17 March 2015 - ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING?! Missing my joint sponsor's W2 which he DOESN'T GET, HE IS SELF EMPLOYED, GRRRRR! Trying to sort it out ... :(

Status changed to "Ready" 24 March 2015

Status changed to "Issued" 27 March 2015! :D :D

Visa in hand 31 March 2015 - mere hours before I leave for Brisbane to fly to LA.

POE LAX extremely easy and pleasant - 1 April 2015

Reuinted with husband at Boston Airport - 2 April 2015

Awesome and Congrats :)

Please paste your consulate review in the review section! http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/dos_review.php

Done, thanks for the pointer.

I-130 sent: 06-May-13

I-130 NOA1: 13-May-13

I-130 approved: 01-Apr-14 [323 days]

I-864 fee paid: 01-Apr-14

IV fee paid: 07-Apr-14

I-864 submitted: 09-Apr-14

DS-260 submitted: 12-Apr-14

DS-260 docs sent: 28-Apr-14

I-864 checklist rec'd: 14-May-14

Case complete @ NVC: 24-Jun-14

Medical completed: 10-Aug-14

Interview date: 5-Aug-14

Visa & packet rec'd: 7-Aug-14

POE: 14-Oct-14

Timeline

Congrats and thanks for the review :):dancing:

K-1 Visa -  Date of arrival to US  Aug 30, 2014

Married September 26, 2014

AOS: SEPT 24th, 2015 GREEN CARD RECEIVED !! 

ROC:  Oct 10, 2018    Approval of ROC via online USCIS site.  

Naturalization: March 26th, 2021 Approved!!

As of 2022, we are working towards moving back to Australia likely in 2025. 

Timeline

Congrats and thanks for the review :):dancing:

Your fiancé's interview is coming up fast! You must be excited! :) Will he be arriving in Sept?

Timeline

Your fiancé's interview is coming up fast! You must be excited! :) Will he be arriving in Sept?

:) Not fast enough lol. But yes, we are excited. And ready. He hopes to get a flight soon after getting the actual visa. So, first week in Sept would be grand.

Timeline

:) Not fast enough lol. But yes, we are excited. And ready. He hopes to get a flight soon after getting the actual visa. So, first week in Sept would be grand.

If he gets his passport back by Friday which is often the case for Sydney, the flights don't vary too much in price! The ticket I purchased has hovered around the same price or within $100. Ps. TSC has suddenly transferred HEAPS of petitions!

Timeline

If he gets his passport back by Friday which is often the case for Sydney, the flights don't vary too much in price! The ticket I purchased has hovered around the same price or within $100. Ps. TSC has suddenly transferred HEAPS of petitions!

That's great- both about the flights and the transfer of petitions. Maybe they will even things out a bit between the 2 centers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.