19 posts in this topic

I was just wondering, how did was the moving to the U.S. for you?

How long after your arrival did you get married?

What kind of wedding/ceremony did you have?

How long did/does it take you for the AOS?

Do you work, go to school, ... ?

... .... ...

What are the things you wished one had told you before or helped you with?

The days before you left for the U.S., your flight/trip, your first weeks, months, ...

I just want to know about other people's experiences. Thank you !!

Moving to the US has been, on the whole, pretty smooth sailing. We were married one month after arriving, we had a lot of my husband's family and friends in attendance so we wanted a bit more of a ceremony and party. We used the four weeks between arriving and getting married to acclimatize (he'd been living out of the US as well), do last-minute wedding things and prepare all our paperwork for the AOS so that we could file it the day after we were married. I'm still waiting on my green card but we've been told we're a potential interview waver case so I'm not expecting it this year.

I have got my EAD and have been looking for work for about a month. It's a little frustrating so far as I haven't been hearing back from many of my applications, I expect there's greater numbers applying than jobs in New Zealand or something. I've been mentioning in my cover letter that I'm legally able to work in the US as I wondered if employers were looking at my overseas experience and assuming I needed sponsorship. Hopefully I'll get a bite soon.

What else? I love the variety of restaurants and bars (and beer!) in my city. Going to the supermarket still leaves me filled with awe at all the different products and produce. Some things are cheaper than NZ, some more expensive. We've travelled a little and seen a few more states which has been nice. People are generally very friendly down south, and my husband's family and friends have been SO welcoming. I still miss my friends and family terribly, I have been trying to build my own network of friends here but as an adult it can be a little difficult to get out and meet people, especially when you don't have a car here. I have to consciously remind myself that this is my life now, living here, and it's not just a holiday.

The wait to get my driver licence has been my most annoying thing - my NZ licence 'expired' in May (TX has a 90-day limit on foreign licences) but I had to wait for my EAD card, make three trips to the DPS (and we all know what the lines are like there, argh), wait, wait, take a written test, wait some more... my driving test is this week so HOPEFULLY I can start driving myself again after three months of my poor husband having to shuttle me everywhere. Fortunately he's super patient and understanding. I would recommend applying for your driver licence as soon as you can as it's not a quick process (at least not here in Texas anyway).

Hello all

My husband and I were approved last week and expect him to be here in the states first week of September. Just had questions on whether he can use his Dominican Republic drivers license in the US right away and for how long. Does he have to go through getting a permit then taking driving exam? How long before he can work

I haven't needed a car at all here in Sydney. I know how to operate a vehicle I got my learner licence last year but i know everything except how to reverse and parallel park. I am wondering how long it'll take for me to learn that?! I want to get my licence as soon as I can.

It won't be so bad, I'm from Sydney too, the first thing I did before I started driving here was I signed up for a driving lesson with a local driving school. The instructor was a little puzzled as to why I needed a lesson since I already had prior driving experience, so I explained that we drove on the other side of the road and the driver seat is on the opposite side. We had a good laugh, and she shared a lot of the important road rules I needed to be mindful of, it also gave me confidence that I can do it safely. Depending on where you live, you probably won't have to reverse or parallel park much, I certainly rarely have to do it, and I live in LA :)

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It won't be so bad, I'm from Sydney too, the first thing I did before I started driving here was I signed up for a driving lesson with a local driving school. The instructor was a little puzzled as to why I needed a lesson since I already had prior driving experience, so I explained that we drove on the other side of the road and the driver seat is on the opposite side. We had a good laugh, and she shared a lot of the important road rules I needed to be mindful of, it also gave me confidence that I can do it safely. Depending on where you live, you probably won't have to reverse or parallel park much, I certainly rarely have to do it, and I live in LA :)

Good luck!

Thanks mate! :)

We live in North West PA, near the Amish! No roundabouts ;)

Hopefully I will be alright in my driving test, I am reading the road rules now to prep for it and learning about driving safely behind horse-buggy's that the Amish drive/ride.

WISH ME LUCK! :lol:

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.