ninadrianna

i-134 in Vancouver - isn't the form enough?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In reality, what do they actually ask to see? It doesn't really say that tax forms are required (unless self-employed), so i'm curious if anyone out there has gone into the interview just with the form filled in and with an employer's letter, not tax stuff.

Curious if anyone out there has gone thru Vancouver with this experience.

Thanks.

Also I make enough to support myself, and will as soon as i get there, so what's up with them needing my future husband to support me? Can't they just get on my ### instead of his? He's a private person who doesn't want to share info about his financial stuff (and here i am telling you all about it ;) ) Maybe I should just ask a friend instead to co-sponsor?

This is the worst part of the process for me cuz I'm so independent and hate asking people for help. And i have zero intention of ever relying on state support.

I just want to love my man already.

Thanks for letting me vent.

funny, vj censored a synonym for bum

###

I didn't bring any tax stuff to my Vancouver interview a few weeks ago. I had the i-134, employer letter, pay stubs for the last few months and bank statements for the last 6 months (printed off). They did not ask for w2 or income tax transcripts.

I also brought information declaring my own liquid assets but they weren't interested and didn't take those documents.

Even if you do get a cosponsor your fiance will still have to fill out and sign the i-134.

Timeline

That fun bit comes in around aos time.

Your hubby to be may be all private and you may be all independent but...

There will be a time period you can't legally work. Oh yes. This sucks. Even asking my fiancé for $60 while we were waiting to go to the bank to get me added to the account so I could have some money for groceries and the like...sucked.

The government will want proof or evidence that your hubby to be can support you. If he can't, they'll still need to know his info plus whoever you use as a co sponsor.

Yes we all know the irs has that info somewhere in their archives but since when did different government entities (of any government!) play nice and communicate?

I went in with tax forms from my fiancé. They didn't really pay them too much attention. Make sure you have the statement of intent dated within 30 days of your interview from both of you though!

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Tell your future husband that the people looking at this information are highly trained and screened US government employees. They could look up this information without his permission if they wanted to, but they don't. The only time you should use a co-sponsor is when you need to (he doesn't make enough.)

Also as it has been mentioned, when you file the AOS [$1070] (which will need a new affidavit of support - I-864 or I-864EZ, a legally binding contract, unlike the I-134) you can apply for work authorization. it takes about 60-90 days to get this so for 2-3 months, you will not be working. You will either need savings, or you will have to ask your future partner in life for help.

I get how you feel, I'm the same way, but I've learned that it's okay to get help from your spouse. Sharing, giving, and all that good stuff.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I was trying to hold my tongue..but to me it wasn't clear if his issue was a US government agency seeing the info (which they likely already do see), or his fiance. Since the former seems silly, I was thinking his issue was with her seeing the information. Or the fear that while it's in her possession, someone else might see it...idk the OP will have to clarify before I make any comments on keeping secrets from your fiance/spouse...

If he's attending the interview with you, he can hand it over without you seeing it. But I would make sure that since you are going to be financially dependent on him for a while, that you guys aren't going to start out a marriage fighting over finances... ok back to holding my tongue.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

Thanks guys.

That's helpful feedback. Looks like the best route is to have a friend co-sponsor just in case they ask, and for the future. But not offer the info straightout at the interview unless they ask.

Also re work, I plan to keep my job that I currently have here in Canada. That way I will have income right away. Yay for internet and phone-based work!

To be clear to Rob & Monica, we share everything between us, it's just beyond that where sometimes privacy is preferred. :) And I appreciate your honesty anyways :)

You technically need your EAD to work in the USA, even if you're working for a foreign country. At least that is how I understand it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You technically need your EAD to work in the USA, even if you're working for a foreign country. At least that is how I understand it.

Depends who you ask.....sort of a grey area when it comes to work one can accomplish online......I think a lot depends on whom ones clients are....if they are not American, one is probably safe.....but I'm no expert on that. With regards to keeping ones privacy, I can assure you, people at the Consulate could truly care less...But if they don't have the required paperwork, well one will not be getting the visa.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A friend just went through her first U.S. tax return and advised me to give up everything work-related when I leave, even my freelance clients. She had to pay double taxes and said having the money and that independence from her husband just wasn't worth it.

I'm already collecting EI so giving up work won't be an issue. Relying on my fiance for everything will be difficult, but that whole "asking for help" thing has been a huge part of our relationship.

After a lifetime of working non-stop, Independent Career Girl is rather looking forward to housewifing for a few months.

Canada has a tax treaty with the USA. No double taxes should be paid. Form 2555 covers any income made outside of the USA by an LPR or USC up to 97k per year. If she makes over that, well, then I can't help with double taxation.

A friend just went through her first U.S. tax return and advised me to give up everything work-related when I leave, even my freelance clients. She had to pay double taxes and said having the money and that independence from her husband just wasn't worth it.

I'm already collecting EI so giving up work won't be an issue. Relying on my fiance for everything will be difficult, but that whole "asking for help" thing has been a huge part of our relationship.

After a lifetime of working non-stop, Independent Career Girl is rather looking forward to housewifing for a few months.

I completely agree! It is a scary thing to think that I won't have an income for a few months. I have not relied on anyone since I was 18 years old, and sometimes it makes me anxious to think that I will have to depend on him completely. He's really good at making feel comfortable with it though, we are partners and have to rely on each other when it comes to money or other issues.

I also look forward to housewifing for a while, anyways the final stages of wedding planning will be more than enough to keep me busy for the first few months .

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I completely agree! It is a scary thing to think that I won't have an income for a few months. I have not relied on anyone since I was 18 years old, and sometimes it makes me anxious to think that I will have to depend on him completely. He's really good at making feel comfortable with it though, we are partners and have to rely on each other when it comes to money or other issues.

I also look forward to housewifing for a while, anyways the final stages of wedding planning will be more than enough to keep me busy for the first few months .

I'm plannning on building a blog website to chronicle my journey into housewifery. I've already claimed land in the backyard for my garden. It's going to be so much fun!

At least that's what I'm telling myself right now. Haha!

I'm plannning on building a blog website to chronicle my journey into housewifery. I've already claimed land in the backyard for my garden. It's going to be so much fun!

At least that's what I'm telling myself right now. Haha!

Not gonna lie, I am kind of looking forward to a break from work and "housewiving" so to speak haha. I have been watching Madmen for tips :P

<3

Not gonna lie, I am kind of looking forward to a break from work and "housewiving" so to speak haha. I have been watching Madmen for tips :P

<3

Lol! I might even start watching Soap operas :secret:

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.