Ontariowan

Mailing items to US before moving

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am considering sending some personal items to my fiance even though my k-1 visa hasn't been issued. Has anyone done this before? I am planning on getting rid of 99% of my stuff, but I do have some small items (a vase, some yarn, a book or two) and a computer that I want to have in the US but I don't want to carry through an airport.

My idea is to send the small items first via regular mail in a few weeks. A few days before I enter the US, I will box up and ship my computer (it's a gaming rig, shipping is cheaper than replacing) via registered post.

I would love to hear your experiences doing this sort of thing and any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Ship it after you get your visa, not before, it's the same advice i gave my wife, after her interview in aug and all is ok then start mailing.

Pack it all up in advance but wait till you know the results of you interview to ship

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

I also used my country's postal services to send some of my stuff to the US and that was before we got approved.
I had contacted shipping companies, but they were asking for A LOT of money, so I decided to just send an amount of boxes through USPS.
Everything went OK. You won't have any trouble with the customs, since you're mailing personal, used stuff. What you need to do is pack everything really, really good, because the post do not take any responsibility for fragile items. Also, check for the items that you 're not allowed to ship (like flammables etc.)

greek_american_flag100.gif

Vda4m4.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This should be no problem! I ship all the time to another country! And good luck getting that Visa!

April 15, 2014 : I-129F Package Sent

April 19, 2014 : I-129F Package Delivery Confirmation via USPS

April 24, 2014 - NOA1 received via email/text

April 25, 2014 - Alien Registration Number changed

April 28, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail.

May 23, 2014 - RFE received in mail.

June 5, 2014 - Response to RFE Sent

June 11, 2014 - NOA2 Approval via website!!!

June 14, 2014 - NOA2 received in mail.

June 24, 2014 - NVC Case # via phone!

June 25, 2014 - NVC forwarded case to Embassy

June 26, 2014 - Embassy received case.

June 26, 2014 - NVC letter in mail.

August 4-5, 2014 - Medical

August 6, 2014 - CFO Seminar

August 13, 2014 - VIsa Interview (Expedited)

August 19, 2014 - VISA ready for pick up!

August 20, 2014 - Packet 3 Arrived

August 26, 2014 - POE!

August 26, 2014 - Notice to schedule an Interview...

October 23, 2014 - AOS/EAD Package Sent

October 30, 2014 - NOA1 via website

November 1, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail

November 6, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled in mail

November 19, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I sent my stuff ahead of time with no problem. Just a heads up for you...I checked all of the ways to ship my stuff and believe it or not Canada Post was outrageously expensive. For a box 28 pounds, 22 x 24 was $183.00 with 12 to 18 days for delivery. I sent the same box with Purolator Courier for $58.00 tax included for shipping in 3-5 day. FedEx was $73.00 with tax. I addressed my stuff to my husband and on the US Customs form I claimed everything as "USED" because it was. No duty to pay when he received it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

May want to ask in the Canadian Forum as many of us asked this same thing.

I disagree with another poster (who was already married not a K1 like you), its not really worth your time and a big item like a computer should come once you have a Visa or follow after you move. Now frankly I gave my husband a few small valuable items since he always drove back over the border after visits but we moved the majority once I had my VISA.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you all for your feedback!

I don't have a license or a car so I can't drive down, and my fiance doesn't have any vacation time to come get me (and my cat), so flying is our only option at the moment. Anything I want to have in the US has to be sent down beforehand or taken with me when I move down. Right now it looks like UPS will give me the cheapest rate but I can't seem to get a quote without duty. More investigation needed, it seems!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.