Flames9_RN

CanadianTaxes

47 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone else file using section 217, especially those that got EI or Retiring allowance?? I phoned the international tax branch, and he said I could possibly use section 17. What concerns me is that by utilizing it, I get like $2000 back. If I just file regulary, I get like $100 back!! I'm using Quicktaxweb.ca to do the paperwork, and paperfile. Since I made under $25000 cdn its totally free.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/...iors_217-e.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/5013-sc/README.html

Thanks

Scott

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is the thing I'm debating doing...actually mine would be under a "partial year 217." I am still waiting for one more slip and then I can work it up one way or the other.

It sounds like yours is definitely a benefit to go that route! :yes:

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Timeline

It just seems hard to belive its allowabale, such a big refund difference. Guess one can do it and if its wrong, they will notify me!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline
:idea: Will show these to hubby tonight this is going to be a confusing file year :o

tell me about it!

I dunno what to do with mine this year, I'm all confused (hence the visit here!)

Last year I cashed in my RRSP, which was my only "Canadian" income, for around $40k, and I did not live in Canada last year at all. (because of North Carolina confusing state investment laws, I couldn't keep my RRSP in Canada). My US income last year was not even $10k, but I also started my own home based business, so I have quite a lot of business expenses to itemize, so my hubby and I are doing our taxes separately.

I don't know if I should do both a Canadian and a US tax return, or just do a US return and claim my RRSP income on my US forms. The Canadian taxes were already deducted from the $40k obviously, at the 25% flat rate, so I'm not sure if with the tax treaty between the 2 countries if I really still need to do both returns?

anybody any clue?

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

:idea: Will show these to hubby tonight this is going to be a confusing file year :o

tell me about it!

I dunno what to do with mine this year, I'm all confused (hence the visit here!)

Last year I cashed in my RRSP, which was my only "Canadian" income, for around $40k, and I did not live in Canada last year at all. (because of North Carolina confusing state investment laws, I couldn't keep my RRSP in Canada). My US income last year was not even $10k, but I also started my own home based business, so I have quite a lot of business expenses to itemize, so my hubby and I are doing our taxes separately.

I don't know if I should do both a Canadian and a US tax return, or just do a US return and claim my RRSP income on my US forms. The Canadian taxes were already deducted from the $40k obviously, at the 25% flat rate, so I'm not sure if with the tax treaty between the 2 countries if I really still need to do both returns?

anybody any clue?

Reba...

You don't have to file a Canadian return at all.... the 25% is a flat tax.. no return required...

For your 1040, you'll have to claim the money from the cashed RRSP's as other income. You will need to convert the CDN $ to US $ by using the exchange rate on the date that you cashed them. You then can take the 25% tax that Canada took and claim it as a foreign tax credit on Form 1116.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

thanks, I'll print that out so I can show it to whomever I get to do my taxes. Last year it was an entire day long ordeal because they couldn't figure out what to do with a Canadian and American couple :blink::bonk:

small towns, gotta love 'em :P

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

40K! Big Pardoo at Rebas place!

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

yeah well, after Revenue Canada took their piece, and then do the conversion to US dollars, there's not a whole lot left :P

I dumped it into a 5 year CD for lack of anything better to do.

well, I went and had my taxes done today at H&R Block, and even with the advice above printed out, they weren't sure what to do with my RRSP income :P

I have to go back tomorrow to finish it up. They have to find out the currency exchange and whatever.

Timeline
well, I went and had my taxes done today at H&R Block, and even with the advice above printed out, they weren't sure what to do with my RRSP income :P

I have to go back tomorrow to finish it up. They have to find out the currency exchange and whatever.

You can find it yourself. Do you know the date that it was cashed... Let me know and I'll get it for you...

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

nah, it was sometime in January last year. They'll have it all done for me today they said. The currency exchange wasn't the only problem, they also didn't know how to report the income. I tried to explain that it was my RRSP and equivalent to 401k and how would they report 401k income, but they still had to research it :blink:

ok, need help again.

The tax preparer from H&R Block just called to say that for some reason, when they enter my RRSP income on our report, the state of NC says I now owe them nearly $2000! We know this is not right, H&R Block has called the state revenue office, and they're telling them that is what I would owe them.

Can someone shed some light on this? This is not correct, I've already paid the 25% taxes on this in Canada, and with the US Canada tax treaty, I should not be taxed twice on that income. Besides which, it is well under the allowed foreign income of $80k that should not be double taxed (If I understand that rule correctly that is).

How can the state say that I owe them so much money, when I've already paid taxes on this income? We can't afford to have to pay them that much, and as far as I understand the tax treaty, I shouldn't have to pay them anything.

Plus, not only is H&R Block now saying that I owe the state, they're saying our refund from the feds is being considerably decreased as well. :(

There goes our Scotland trip :P

Any help would be appreciated if anyone here understands this stuff.

Timeline

http://forums.serbinski.com/index.php?sid=...69e26b292b2d1cc

Have you posted your question on the above tax forum? The fellow there "Nelson" Is very well informed. I went there and got my info prior to going to jackson hewitt to get my taxes completed.

Timeline
ok, need help again.

The tax preparer from H&R Block just called to say that for some reason, when they enter my RRSP income on our report, the state of NC says I now owe them nearly $2000! We know this is not right, H&R Block has called the state revenue office, and they're telling them that is what I would owe them.

Can someone shed some light on this? This is not correct, I've already paid the 25% taxes on this in Canada, and with the US Canada tax treaty, I should not be taxed twice on that income. Besides which, it is well under the allowed foreign income of $80k that should not be double taxed (If I understand that rule correctly that is).

How can the state say that I owe them so much money, when I've already paid taxes on this income? We can't afford to have to pay them that much, and as far as I understand the tax treaty, I shouldn't have to pay them anything.

Plus, not only is H&R Block now saying that I owe the state, they're saying our refund from the feds is being considerably decreased as well. :(

There goes our Scotland trip :P

Any help would be appreciated if anyone here understands this stuff.

1) The $80k is only for foreign income that is earned while you reside in a foreign country, It does not apply to foreign source income when you reside in the US.

2) The tax treaty only covers double taxation with respect to federal income taxes. It does not apply to state taxes.. Some states do not tax foreign source income, my state one of them. I don't know what the rules are for NC...

And your refund probably went down for two reasons

1) The lump sum amount from your cashing in your RRSP probably significantly raised your AGI which probably put you in a higher tax bracket.

2) There is a cap on the amount of foreign tax credit that can be taken each year.. in addition, some federal deductions (mortgage interest decuction for one) are decreased by the percentage of your income that comes from a foreign source if you itemize.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.