nyc

Changing address changing the state

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello,

Is there anyone here, who had changed the address before the interview?

Does it slow down the process?

We live in New Jersey and my husband is applying for jobs in New York.

We are also thinking about moving to Oregon.

How would the NJ - NY move affect our application?

What about NJ-Oregon?

Thanks,

Anna

October 30, 2005 - Married in Vegas

December 27, 2005 - EAD, AP, AOS mailed

January 4, 2006 - received in Chicago

January 27, 2006 - RFE for medical received

February 13, 2006 - Medical received

February 15, 2006 - Biometrics appointment at 10 am

March 1, 2006 - AP touched

March 4, 2006 - AP received

March 8, 2006 - EAD received

March 29, 2006 - interview notice received - May 31, 2006

May 31, 2006 - Successful interview!!! Approved

June 12, 2006 - Green card received

Feb 28, 2008 - will be sending removal of conditions docs.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Filed: Other Timeline

you can change your address and request that they transfer your file to the appropriate processing centre to where you're moving , but don't count on it actually being done. More likely what will happen is they'll not transfer it, then send the interview appointment letter to your Old address, you won't get it, wont' show up for your interview and they'll start deportation orders. Or, they'll send it to your old address, the postal service will forward it to your new address, and you'll have to fly back across the country for your interview.

Good luck!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

That makes everyone feel better. :lol:

From what I've read, NYC, since Ewen and I will likely be in the same position, is that doing ALL of the following will generally effect the change of address with USCIS if you have to move before AOS is complete:

1.) File AR-11 with USCIS (for the alien).

2.) File I-865 (for the USC spouse as primary sponsor).

3.) Send a letter to your old DO advising them of the change (with copies of the I-865 and AR-11).

4.) Follow up with the Misinformation Line about 2 weeks after you send both documents. If they haven't changed your address, make them do it then.

5.) Follow up again with the Misinformation Line again a week or two later to make sure they have your address right.

Of course, it's a bit of a crapshoot because USCIS claims that things get "lost in the mail" even when people HAVEN'T moved house. ;)

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Here's an old thread on the subject; Yodrak's post sums up the advice I gave above:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.php?showtopic=63193

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

We moved from PA to IL in January and, like other people said, despite sending in all the forms and calling the phone number a million times, they still didn't correct our address. My husband's EAD/AOS biometrics letter and his AOS papers were sent to our old address. They eventually made their way back to us, a couple of weeks delayed. We made an infopass appointment in Chicago once we realised they totally didn't fix our address, and they got everything straightened out for us. Something to keep in mind for when the government fails to accurately change your address too. :)

May 27 2005: Married!

Oct 1 2005: AOS submitted

Oct 17 2005: AOS returned because of incorrect amount in check; returned same day.

Oct 25 2005: NOAs for AOS, EAD, and AP

Nov 1 2005: I-485 'touched'

Dec 6 2005: I-130, I-765, I-131 touched

Dec 17 2005: Hubby graduates university

Dec 28 2005: I-765 touched again

Jan 3 2006: Move to Chicago

Jan 9 2006: I865, AR-11, phone call made to inform of address change

Jan 13 2006: Online notice of approval of AP

Jan 18 2006: All applications 'touched'

Jan 19 2006: All applications 'touched' again; NOA received for I865

Feb 2 2006: AP received (sent to the wrong address... groan.)

Feb 10 2006: Biometrics appointment received (sent to the wrong address, too)

Feb 14 2006: Infopass appointment re: biometrics and address change

Feb 15 2006: Biometrics done

Feb 22 2006: Email notice of approval of EAD

Feb 24 2006: EAD received in mail (even sent to the right address!)

April 15 2006: Interview for AOS scheduled!

May 23 2006: AOS interview: didn't go very well. :( RFE on spot for more info.

July 13 2006: Sent inch-thick stack of documentation for RFE. Fingers crossed.

July 16 2006: I-130, I-485, I-865 touched; weird email received saying interview canceled?

July 21 2006: E-mail notice that our case is approved! YAY.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
That makes everyone feel better. :lol:

From what I've read, NYC, since Ewen and I will likely be in the same position, is that doing ALL of the following will generally effect the change of address with USCIS if you have to move before AOS is complete:

1.) File AR-11 with USCIS (for the alien).

2.) File I-865 (for the USC spouse as primary sponsor).

3.) Send a letter to your old DO advising them of the change (with copies of the I-865 and AR-11).

4.) Follow up with the Misinformation Line about 2 weeks after you send both documents. If they haven't changed your address, make them do it then.

5.) Follow up again with the Misinformation Line again a week or two later to make sure they have your address right.

Of course, it's a bit of a crapshoot because USCIS claims that things get "lost in the mail" even when people HAVEN'T moved house. ;)

Thanks, what the misinformation line?

Anna

October 30, 2005 - Married in Vegas

December 27, 2005 - EAD, AP, AOS mailed

January 4, 2006 - received in Chicago

January 27, 2006 - RFE for medical received

February 13, 2006 - Medical received

February 15, 2006 - Biometrics appointment at 10 am

March 1, 2006 - AP touched

March 4, 2006 - AP received

March 8, 2006 - EAD received

March 29, 2006 - interview notice received - May 31, 2006

May 31, 2006 - Successful interview!!! Approved

June 12, 2006 - Green card received

Feb 28, 2008 - will be sending removal of conditions docs.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.