Lights

Getting a california DL

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have an appointment with the DMV next week and I just want to be prepared. I've read different things on different threads... some say they didn't have to do a road test, others say they did. Some said they didn't have to do a written test but had to do a road test etc. Some road tests are just going around the block and reversing in a straight line. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect, as a Canadian driver. I know that it may be different for other people in other parts of the world, where driving is much much different.

I have had my license for 10 years with a spotless record (not sure if that counts for anything). From what I've read, it's really up to the agent and their discretion whether to put you through additional testing.

I know I will get my license until my 1-94 expires and once it does, I'll have to go back with an approved EAD to get my license renewed. We are filing our AOS tomorrow. We were married last week.

Thanks for your insights!

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Here is the link to the DMV where you can find details as to what to expect as a new driver in California.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/new_driver.htm

You should have no trouble passing the tests.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I'm going through the same thing except in Utah, I need to get a Utah licence asap because my husband's insurance won't add me until I have a Utah one. I've been putting it off...the thought of having to take another road test stresses me out. I have had my licence for almost 8 years and a spotless record as well. My brother who lives in Utah as well just got a Utah licence a couple months ago and had to take a written test and a road test, but I know every state is different. I haven't asked him if it was a full road test though. Hopefully not! I never had to do parallel parking in my road test back home and I would probably fail if I had to now! We have plans to at least get the written one done next Wednesday when my husband is off (probably wouldn't look good if I showed up driving myself!). I wish we could just trade in our Canada licence and they would give us a state one!

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I got my license at the Long Beach, CA DMV. I did not have a license from Canada at the time so I did have to take the written test - I'm not sure if you would have to take it considering you have a valid license. The driving test was simple. It took about 15 minutes - drive on busy street, drive in housing tract, drive in school zone, reverse 50 feet along a curb, drive back to DMV and park. Nothing to worry about!

The only problem I had with the DMV was when it came to renewing my license. They mailed me some paperwork to send back to them, which I did with plenty of time to spare. I never heard anything and eventually called a few weeks before it expired and they claim they never received it. I just had to go into the DMV and renew in person, which wasn't bad aside for the wait (no appointments available!)

Timeline

I'm going through the same thing except in Utah, I need to get a Utah licence asap because my husband's insurance won't add me until I have a Utah one. I've been putting it off...the thought of having to take another road test stresses me out. I have had my licence for almost 8 years and a spotless record as well. My brother who lives in Utah as well just got a Utah licence a couple months ago and had to take a written test and a road test, but I know every state is different. I haven't asked him if it was a full road test though. Hopefully not! I never had to do parallel parking in my road test back home and I would probably fail if I had to now! We have plans to at least get the written one done next Wednesday when my husband is off (probably wouldn't look good if I showed up driving myself!). I wish we could just trade in our Canada licence and they would give us a state one!

Aw, that's a bummer! I was added onto my husband's insurance with no problems. They just advised me to get it changed ASAP so that I can get the current state license on file. My appointment is next Wednesday too. Wishing you luck!!

Parallel parking is ok for me. Living in Vancouver, there's a lot of that and I drove an SUV. This time, I drive a bigger truck. So I hope they don't make it do it either. I haven't practiced in this car! haha

I got my license at the Long Beach, CA DMV. I did not have a license from Canada at the time so I did have to take the written test - I'm not sure if you would have to take it considering you have a valid license. The driving test was simple. It took about 15 minutes - drive on busy street, drive in housing tract, drive in school zone, reverse 50 feet along a curb, drive back to DMV and park. Nothing to worry about!

The only problem I had with the DMV was when it came to renewing my license. They mailed me some paperwork to send back to them, which I did with plenty of time to spare. I never heard anything and eventually called a few weeks before it expired and they claim they never received it. I just had to go into the DMV and renew in person, which wasn't bad aside for the wait (no appointments available!)

I'm just nervous that I can remember all the rules when I'm on the road but when it comes to taking the written test, I'll fall blank! I set up an appointment first, but not a drivers test. I hope that should be OK. Long Beach isn't too far from me. I am in Orange County!

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Timeline

San Diego county here ;)

Good luck, let me know how it goes!!! I don't know if there even is a point to the Cali dl yet for me...we're getting hitched next month and realistically there will be some lapsed time there I'm pretty sure...it is government after all...for the aos to go through. But I'll be asking some questions and doing some general harassment when we go to smog "my" car...see what they need from me.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have an appointment with the DMV next week and I just want to be prepared. I've read different things on different threads... some say they didn't have to do a road test, others say they did. Some said they didn't have to do a written test but had to do a road test etc. Some road tests are just going around the block and reversing in a straight line. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect, as a Canadian driver. I know that it may be different for other people in other parts of the world, where driving is much much different.

I have had my license for 10 years with a spotless record (not sure if that counts for anything). From what I've read, it's really up to the agent and their discretion whether to put you through additional testing.

I know I will get my license until my 1-94 expires and once it does, I'll have to go back with an approved EAD to get my license renewed. We are filing our AOS tomorrow. We were married last week.

Thanks for your insights!

You will have to take a written test and a road test. It wouldn't hurt to go through the California Driver's Manual to refresh your memory and in case there are different rules from where you live. Once you have passed your written test, you will be given a temporary license so that you can still drive - make sure you get the correct piece of paper - and then you have a certain amount of time to take a road test.

You might have to do a full test or the examiner might go easy on you. Make sure you know how to turn lights on and indicators. (Sounds obvious but if you're not familiar with the car and you're nervous.) Also make sure you know the hand signals.

Strange. We had 3 months on our Canadian insurance and then we got US insurance even though both of us still had Canadian licenses.

San Diego county here ;)

Good luck, let me know how it goes!!! I don't know if there even is a point to the Cali dl yet for me...we're getting hitched next month and realistically there will be some lapsed time there I'm pretty sure...it is government after all...for the aos to go through. But I'll be asking some questions and doing some general harassment when we go to smog "my" car...see what they need from me.

Pro-Star the smog test is done at an independent testing station so it's unlikely they'll be able to answer your questions. They might answer them while you're getting your vehicle licensed but they might not as there are separate areas in the DMV depending on what you want to do.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Timeline

You can study for the written test using the guidebook. It's online at the DMV website:

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htm

I skimmed through it twice and passed on the first try. Most laws here are the same as they are in Canada, so mainly common sense, but the wording on the test can be tricky.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

10 year Vancouver driver turned San Diego County road test taker here :)

I had to take both, for the written test I just looked at their sample tests on the DMV website and then watched a cpl ppl on youtube show their tests. It was pretty simple with the exception to the CA rules we don't have in Canada, stuff like the blue, white, red, etc paint on the curbs for parking, and other CA rules, otherwise pretty simple. Road test was basic too, but of course I was nervous for both, LOL! I just moved here in April and they told me they used to not require Canadians to do the road test as well, but they changed it. DARN!

The true nightmare is registering your car and getting plates, lol. They couldn't comprehend that my title could be on the same page as my insurance *gasp*

Good luck! :)

event.png

NOA1 - April 19, 2013

Case Transfer - November 25, 2013

NOA2 - December 4, 2013 (via CSC)

NVC rec'd - December 16, 2013

NVC case number - January 7, 2014

Email from NVC confirming EP - January 10, 2014

DS-261 avail and completed - January 15, 2014

AOS fee avail and paid - January 17, 2014

AOS fee shows "paid" - January 22, 2014

AOS/i-864 package sent - January 24, 2014

IV invoiced and paid - January 24, 2014

IV shows "paid" - January 29, 2014

DS-260 avail and completed - January 29, 2014

IV package sent - Janaury 31, 2014

Case COMPLETE!! - February 27, 2014 dancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gif

Medical Complete - March 24, 2014

Interview - April 2, 2014

APPROVED!! at April 2, 2014 interview, husband comes to Canada April 10th to cross over once my passport is returned. :wow:

April 13, 2014 - All moved in and even welcomed with a big surprise 'welcome to America party' by my husband and friends I've made here over the last year.

This might be off topic. Ya'll might have the same story as mine. I have NY DL and was out of the country for many years. It got expired last 2012 and now i'm planning to move to CA sometime this year and get a DL from that state.

Do you think I may have to take an actual driving exam again after my NY license being expired?

Timeline

This might be off topic. Ya'll might have the same story as mine. I have NY DL and was out of the country for many years. It got expired last 2012 and now i'm planning to move to CA sometime this year and get a DL from that state.

Do you think I may have to take an actual driving exam again after my NY license being expired?

You might not have to. I think they accept them if they are less than 5 years old. Take it with you when you take the written test and ask. My US license was just outside of the period.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Timeline

10 year Vancouver driver turned San Diego County road test taker here :)

I had to take both, for the written test I just looked at their sample tests on the DMV website and then watched a cpl ppl on youtube show their tests. It was pretty simple with the exception to the CA rules we don't have in Canada, stuff like the blue, white, red, etc paint on the curbs for parking, and other CA rules, otherwise pretty simple. Road test was basic too, but of course I was nervous for both, LOL! I just moved here in April and they told me they used to not require Canadians to do the road test as well, but they changed it. DARN!

The true nightmare is registering your car and getting plates, lol. They couldn't comprehend that my title could be on the same page as my insurance *gasp*

Good luck! :)

I'm so nervous about that!! The actual road test, I'm OK with. I had a rental car here on many of my trips, so I am use to actually driving. The written part scares me... My husband says it's always harder when you already have your license because you know by doing but like you said, the wording can be tricky. I am doing a lot of the test ones that they have online.

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Timeline

I'm in San Diego too! (via Honolulu via Toronto...)

I have my G1 from Toronto which was basically just bar/LCBO ID ... almost no one I know under 30 drives. Did driving school and everything though.

Got my permit in HI, but didn't take a road test there.

In CA now ... have to get a new permit, then a driver's test. Haven't driven in like two years. The online quizzes are super easy, but yeah the wording on those dang tests is always a little tricky.

The hard line rule in both HI and CA is that anyone with a license from outside of the USA has to take a road test. Which makes sense, the whole world drives differently.

Edited by Gervl

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.