Lights

Getting a california DL

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

San Diego county here ;)

Good luck, let me know how it goes!!! I don't know if there even is a point to the Cali dl yet for me...we're getting hitched next month and realistically there will be some lapsed time there I'm pretty sure...it is government after all...for the aos to go through. But I'll be asking some questions and doing some general harassment when we go to smog "my" car...see what they need from me.

Whoops! Sorry for the lack of updates :D Went back to this thread and realized I didn't let you know how it went.

Tip 1 - ALWAYS schedule an appointment. It really boggles my mind the amount of people waiting in line with no appointment. It took me about an hour or so from start to finish. Those who don't have an appointment end up waiting 2 hours or so on top!

I get in and there was rarely a line for appointments. I finished my paperwork and took my number. Within less than 5 minutes, I was called to a window. They took all my paperwork and info and gave me another form. I stood in line again to get my photos taken. Then I stood in line again to do the written exam. The written exam is all electronic now. It was pretty straight forward, however like others have said the wording is all tricky. They ask similar questions to those in the sample tests in the handbook and online test, but a bit differently.

All in all it wasn't so bad. I finished my written portion and now im off to do my road test. I was told that I could do my road test in a few weeks since my EAD and AP should be approved (crossing fingers) then. I have a permit right now... so hopefully I get it all done by end of Sept. I did my biometrics on Monday... so holding my breath.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Whoops! Sorry for the lack of updates :D Went back to this thread and realized I didn't let you know how it went.

Tip 1 - ALWAYS schedule an appointment. It really boggles my mind the amount of people waiting in line with no appointment. It took me about an hour or so from start to finish. Those who don't have an appointment end up waiting 2 hours or so on top!

I get in and there was rarely a line for appointments. I finished my paperwork and took my number. Within less than 5 minutes, I was called to a window. They took all my paperwork and info and gave me another form. I stood in line again to get my photos taken. Then I stood in line again to do the written exam. The written exam is all electronic now. It was pretty straight forward, however like others have said the wording is all tricky. They ask similar questions to those in the sample tests in the handbook and online test, but a bit differently.

All in all it wasn't so bad. I finished my written portion and now im off to do my road test. I was told that I could do my road test in a few weeks since my EAD and AP should be approved (crossing fingers) then. I have a permit right now... so hopefully I get it all done by end of Sept. I did my biometrics on Monday... so holding my breath.

Congrats! I was glad I had scheduled an appointment as well, I was in and out pretty quick while everyone else had to wait. I was also glad it was open book, I guess if you've had a license before they give you the book to do it here in Utah!

I have my road test on Tuesday...I am not looking forward to it! I went to the DMV a couple times to practice parallel parking in the little spot they have with the cones..I swear it is as small as they could possibly make it! Good thing our car is small! So I am worried about screwing up with that. I am pretty sure I have to do a 3 point turn as well...never had to do that at home either..seems easy enough. Hope I pass so I can forget about it.

Edited by kc247

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Timeline

Congrats! I was glad I had scheduled an appointment as well, I was in and out pretty quick while everyone else had to wait. I was also glad it was open book, I guess if you've had a license before they give you the book to do it here in Utah!

I have my road test on Tuesday...I am not looking forward to it! I went to the DMV a couple times to practice parallel parking in the little spot they have with the cones..I swear it is as small as they could possibly make it! Good thing our car is small! So I am worried about screwing up with that. I am pretty sure I have to do a 3 point turn as well...never had to do that at home either..seems easy enough. Hope I pass so I can forget about it.

What?! You were able to do an open book test?! That's cool! They didn't do that in California.

I'm not sure when I should schedule my road test. My visa expires end of September, so my permit is only good until then. The nice lady said I could get the tests out of the way, but they'll likely only give me a paper permit and not send me the card since my expiration date is within 60 days. I'm hoping my EAD and AP is approved soon so that I can do the test when I have the approval and they can just send the card with the new expiration.

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm just...going to wait for the ead I think. Still have the Alberta license...

Need to get one of those "driving in Cali for dummies" books lol.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Timeline

I'm just...going to wait for the ead I think. Still have the Alberta license...

Need to get one of those "driving in Cali for dummies" books lol.

The handbook is online. :) It is very simple... you will pass with flying colours!

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

I am pretty sure most Canadian provinces you can just trade in your drivers license from the States & get a Canadian one! No fair. Kinda good though since we plan on moving back to Canada at some point, I'd be mad if I had to take a THIRD road test! (Wouldn't feel bad if my husband had to, hahaha, since I have to for his homeland!) I just got back from mine..passed, yay! Made me do everything though :( parallel park, 3 point turn, u-turn, park on a hill, reverse like 50 feet. Not sure how it compares to the Cali road test. Glad to have it done...now I am legally on the roads haha. It expires next year though, once I get my greenvcard I have to go in again and then it lasts 2 years..then when I get my 10 year green card have to go in again!

Edited by kc247

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the road test today! was waiting for EAD to arrive!

Funny! My first driving license was from SC, USA in 2004.. I could trade that for a Canadian license when I moved there & had been driving for last 10 years with a clean driving record. Now I am back to USA but because it is California I have to go thru the whole written test & drive test & what not! Damn!

Anyways, they gave me a temporary license instead of a "permit" based on Canadian license! at least!

Now should plan & prepare for road test!

Anyone who had gone thru California DL, please share what to expect in the road test. Thou I have read the California DMV website, it will be nice to know real time experiences. Btw, I am trying to fix up an appointment for road test; it says "driving lic # &/or birth date does not match our records" thou I am 200% sure everything is correct checked several times. May be I should wait for some more time before it shows up in their system??? what is going on?

USCIS - 50days

I-129F Application mailed: 10-July-2013; NOA1 (hard copy): 22-July-2013; NOA2: 29-Aug-2013 (text/email)

NVC: 52 days

NVC received: 15-Oct-2013; Got case #: 16-Oct-2013(phone); In Transit: 17-Oct-2013(CEAC website)

Consulate ~ Medical - POE: 139(+) days

Consulate received: 21-Oct-2013; Packet3 forms sent to Consulate: 29-Oct-2013; Packet4 received: 04-Nov-2013

Medicals completed on 28-Jan-2014; Interview on 10-March-2014; Visa in hand: 24-Apr-2014

GC: 114 days

POE:17-May-2014; Marriage: 19-May-2014 (Got marriage certificate on the same day at Sacramento, CA); I-693 on 20-May-2014

AOS/EAD/AP sent: 22-May-2014; Reached USCIS: 26-May-2014; NOA1: 02-June-2014

Received Biometrics notice: 07-June-2014 for Biometrics on 23-June-2014, 12:00 noon; Early Walk-in Biometrics successfully completed: 12-June-2014

USCIS website AoS status changed to "testing & Interview" : 30-June-2014; EAD/AP Status "Card in production": 04-Aug-2014; USCIS website updated with interview date as 8-Sep-2014 on: 6-Aug-2014.

Received EAD/AP Combo card in mail: 11-Aug-2014

AoS Interview: 8-Sep-2014; Result: APPROVED; USCIS status changed to "card in production"; Received GC by mail: 16-Sep-2014

RoC:

Applied I-751: 14-June-16; NoA: 17-June-16; Letter received on: 22-June-16

Biometrics notice received on 30-Jun-16 ; Biometrics: 12-July-16;

Received RFE dated 04-Aug-17 on 09-Aug-2017; asked house lease or deed, utility bills if applicable, birth cert of children born to this marriage;

Responded on 15-Aug-2017; USCIS received response on 16:Aug-17; Approved: 13-Sep-17; Case Status to "New Card is mailed": 18-Sep-17; Card received in mail: 21-Sep-2017

N-400

Applied online: 12-Nov-2017; Biometrics: 06-Dec-2017; Received interview letter on 09-Oct-18; Interview at SFO: 06-Nov-2018; Approved; Oath Scheduled on 05-Dec-2018; postponed to 16-Jan2019 because of Former President Sr. Bush's funeral; Oath completed on 16-Jan-2019; Applied for US Passport (expedited) on 18-Jan-2019; received Passport : 29-Jan-2019; received NC:01-Feb-2019

• 2 weeks later...

Got my California Driving license after passing behind-the-wheel test on 21-Aug-2014. It was one of the simplest driving tests... Unlike other states like SC where I have done it before involved all tests like parallel parking, K-turn, reverse etc., CA driving test is pretty simple.. the max they asked was curbside parking & reversing!...

USCIS - 50days

I-129F Application mailed: 10-July-2013; NOA1 (hard copy): 22-July-2013; NOA2: 29-Aug-2013 (text/email)

NVC: 52 days

NVC received: 15-Oct-2013; Got case #: 16-Oct-2013(phone); In Transit: 17-Oct-2013(CEAC website)

Consulate ~ Medical - POE: 139(+) days

Consulate received: 21-Oct-2013; Packet3 forms sent to Consulate: 29-Oct-2013; Packet4 received: 04-Nov-2013

Medicals completed on 28-Jan-2014; Interview on 10-March-2014; Visa in hand: 24-Apr-2014

GC: 114 days

POE:17-May-2014; Marriage: 19-May-2014 (Got marriage certificate on the same day at Sacramento, CA); I-693 on 20-May-2014

AOS/EAD/AP sent: 22-May-2014; Reached USCIS: 26-May-2014; NOA1: 02-June-2014

Received Biometrics notice: 07-June-2014 for Biometrics on 23-June-2014, 12:00 noon; Early Walk-in Biometrics successfully completed: 12-June-2014

USCIS website AoS status changed to "testing & Interview" : 30-June-2014; EAD/AP Status "Card in production": 04-Aug-2014; USCIS website updated with interview date as 8-Sep-2014 on: 6-Aug-2014.

Received EAD/AP Combo card in mail: 11-Aug-2014

AoS Interview: 8-Sep-2014; Result: APPROVED; USCIS status changed to "card in production"; Received GC by mail: 16-Sep-2014

RoC:

Applied I-751: 14-June-16; NoA: 17-June-16; Letter received on: 22-June-16

Biometrics notice received on 30-Jun-16 ; Biometrics: 12-July-16;

Received RFE dated 04-Aug-17 on 09-Aug-2017; asked house lease or deed, utility bills if applicable, birth cert of children born to this marriage;

Responded on 15-Aug-2017; USCIS received response on 16:Aug-17; Approved: 13-Sep-17; Case Status to "New Card is mailed": 18-Sep-17; Card received in mail: 21-Sep-2017

N-400

Applied online: 12-Nov-2017; Biometrics: 06-Dec-2017; Received interview letter on 09-Oct-18; Interview at SFO: 06-Nov-2018; Approved; Oath Scheduled on 05-Dec-2018; postponed to 16-Jan2019 because of Former President Sr. Bush's funeral; Oath completed on 16-Jan-2019; Applied for US Passport (expedited) on 18-Jan-2019; received Passport : 29-Jan-2019; received NC:01-Feb-2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.