gemandkev

Question about IV package

15 posts in this topic

Hello guys. I have a question about my spouse. When I filed the I-130. I put her new name on the application (my last name). I did put her maiden name under the "other names" section. Now her Philippine Passport still has her maiden name on it. When we send off her IV package with a copy of her passport. Will this be a problem? Will it be a problem at the interview as well?

They will go by the name in the passport, I did the same thing with my wife's paper work, always putting my family name down, the NVC DEFAULTS to what on the biographic page of your wife's passport, so no it should be no problem.

They will go by the name in the passport, I did the same thing with my wife's paper work, always putting my family name down, the NVC DEFAULTS to what on the biographic page of your wife's passport, so no it should be no problem.

Ok. Thank you. That makes me feel slightly better. So does she have to change her name on her passport to my family name before coming here to the US?

Ok. Thank you. That makes me feel slightly better. So does she have to change her name on her passport to my family name before coming here to the US?

If she wants her visa (and thus green card) to come in your last name, then yes, she needs to get a new passport with your last name. The visa (and thus green card) is issued in whatever name is in the passport at the time of the interview.

If she wants her visa (and thus green card) to come in your last name, then yes, she needs to get a new passport with your last name. The visa (and thus green card) is issued in whatever name is in the passport at the time of the interview.

Thank you for the information. That sucks for us. Ill have to try to get it done before the interview then so she will be known as my family name while in the US. Thank you again.

Thank you for the information. That sucks for us. Ill have to try to get it done before the interview then so she will be known as my family name while in the US. Thank you again.

Keep in mind, it's not required. I never legally changed my last name; all my documents are still in my maiden name and I've never had a problem.

The Philippine consulate in Hong Kong only added a amendment to my wife's passport stating a name change, i even sent that page in to the NVC at the same time the asked for supporting documents and the copy of the passport, don't think its going to help either, but we will see

Keep in mind, it's not required. I never legally changed my last name; all my documents are still in my maiden name and I've never had a problem.

Ok. Most important thing is getting her here. Thank you for the help!

The Philippine consulate in Hong Kong only added a amendment to my wife's passport stating a name change, i even sent that page in to the NVC at the same time the asked for supporting documents and the copy of the passport, don't think its going to help either, but we will see

Yea I understand. Well good luck with that. Ill probably end up calling the NVC and asking them to make sure. Thanks!

Ok. Most important thing is getting her here. Thank you for the help!

No problem :thumbs:

Although, if she really wants to use your last name, it's best to get that new passport done now, as a name change on an issued green card will cost $450.

[...]

Yea I understand. Well good luck with that. Ill probably end up calling the NVC and asking them to make sure. Thanks!

NVC doesn't issue the visa, so calling would be pointless. They could care less what name is on the passport.

No problem :thumbs:

Although, if she really wants to use your last name, it's best to get that new passport done now, as a name change on an issued green card will cost $450.

NVC doesn't issue the visa, so calling would be pointless. They could care less what name is on the passport.

Ah ok. That's good to know. Thanks :dancing:

She right about that, the people who answer the phones cant really answer your questions, emails take forever to be answered also

Update. I just read on the site cfo.gov.ph . She has to attend the CFO seminar anyways before going to USA. Or the Philippines will not let her leave the country. That CFO seminar is required before I can get her passport changed as well. Looks like I have no choice. Oh well.

Yea the CFO is required for filipino's before they can leave the country to live with there spouse, wondering if they still have the one they call the dragon lady, if she was in another country and avoided going home she would not have to attend the CFO class, just something else they make there people do that other countries dont.

Yea the CFO is required for filipino's before they can leave the country to live with there spouse, wondering if they still have the one they call the dragon lady, if she was in another country and avoided going home she would not have to attend the CFO class, just something else they make there people do that other countries dont.

Yea. I agree. Especially since I had no clue so it is very last minute. She lives far from Manila as well. Oh well. haha. Just another step to go through.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.