annaprice

US PASSPORT for Illegitimate child

22 posts in this topic

Hi there. I am trying to get a passport for my son, my exboyfriend signed his birth certificate, but he is not involved with my son. We have been living in the states since 2009, we are in the philippines right now coming back august 24th, I can't obtain my ex's signature. I don't know where he is or what he is doing. Is it hard to get a US passport for my child without my ex's signature?

I am us citizen and I am also Military.

happier than ever

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Were you a U.S. citizen when the child was born? If not then it will be next to impossible to get a U.S. passport for your son. You would have to complete CRBA which would require your EX boyfriend's involvement.... being he is not to be found = impossible.

I think it would be easier to pursue the naturalization route being you are a naturalized citizen

http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I wasnt. He immigrated with me to the states 2009. The dad is filipino too but not a us citizen. I am a us citizen now. My son got his automatic citizenship thru me

happier than ever

Timeline

I wasnt. He immigrated with me to the states 2009. The dad is filipino too but not a us citizen. I am a us citizen now. My son got his automatic citizenship thru me

If he was naturalized with you then getting a U.S. passport would be no issue. You didn't complete the forms at naturalization to get U.S. passports for you and your son?

Not sure how easy it will be to get a new passport from the Philippines, are his naturalization papers with him in the Philippines?

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

He does not need naturalization papers. Its automatic citizenship. Its called child citizenship act. All i am wondering is if its an issue since i dont know where my ex is. It needs his signature. Or is it okay because we have been in the states since 2009 but im military so im stationed outside the us right now. When i got my naturalization cert i was already overseas

happier than ever

Timeline

It may be automatic but you still need to complete "the paperwork"

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/ChildCitizenshipAct_022701.pdf

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

What paperwork are u talking about?

if your talking about naturalization paperwork He doesnt need one Only IF you want a certificate

if its for the passport yes I do have the paperworks for him

Edited by annaprice

happier than ever

Timeline

So I am really confused as to why you were asking about an EX boyfriend and getting his signature being your son is already a U.S. citizen. Only need you to sign the application forms.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I believe you may be qualified if you are now a USC. Below is the link and everything else is self explanatory. Read the instructions on ds-2029.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/19452/pdfs/Citizenship%20-%20CRBA%20Checklist%20for%20MANILA%20applicants%20-%20Revised%20July%202014.pdf

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

So I am really confused as to why you were asking about an EX boyfriend and getting his signature being your son is already a U.S. citizen. Only need you to sign the application forms.

For children under age 16, both parents have to sign for their child. She can not obtain a US passport for her child without him or a court order.

Timeline

Ah, thanks. Do appreciate. Guess that means an attorney and a trip to court.

There is the "sucks" side of his name being on the birth certificate.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

For children under age 16, both parents have to sign for their child. She can not obtain a US passport for her child without him or a court order.

Well ya made me go read. It is not true about needing a court order if consent can not be obtained, only need to complete this form:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/217450.pdf

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.