Sparkles2013

Medical Exam

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am just doing a bit of research about the medical. I know it is best to bring evidence of vaccination from your family doctor to avoid having to pay for the vaccines. However, it seems that certain expense need to be paid out of pocket (the actual exam with the physician, the chest x-ray..). Just wondering if anyone has had luck with having private insurance cover part of these expenses.

It's starting to feel like there are more and more fees every time this process moves forward ($465 for the I-130, $88 for the AOS, $230 for IV, $35 for a long form birth certificate, $80 for police checks, ~$200 for medical exam, $165 after the interview..passport photos.. travel expenses for the interview...) and it's starting to feel overwhelming. I know at the end of the day it will be worth it to be with my husband, but anything to help cut back on some expenses would be a welcome change!

Hi everyone,

I am just doing a bit of research about the medical. I know it is best to bring evidence of vaccination from your family doctor to avoid having to pay for the vaccines. However, it seems that certain expense need to be paid out of pocket (the actual exam with the physician, the chest x-ray..). Just wondering if anyone has had luck with having private insurance cover part of these expenses.

It's starting to feel like there are more and more fees every time this process moves forward ($465 for the I-130, $88 for the AOS, $230 for IV, $35 for a long form birth certificate, $80 for police checks, ~$200 for medical exam, $165 after the interview..passport photos.. travel expenses for the interview...) and it's starting to feel overwhelming. I know at the end of the day it will be worth it to be with my husband, but anything to help cut back on some expenses would be a welcome change!

Yes, it's an expensive process. And, no, your health insurance won't cover it, unless you need supplementary vaccinations and you get them before your medical. Otherwise, it's all out of pocket. Sucks, I know, but there's no getting around it.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

they take the longest to get the results back to you. plan the medical at least 2-3 weeks in advance.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you know you need any of the vaccinations, or if you need a blood titer test to see what diseases you do or don't already have immunity to, then these can be done through your family physician or sometimes through a health clinic and will be covered. If you wait until the medical, you will end up paying for them as well. You will need to bring proof of your immunization history or the titer tests to the Immigration medical. The medical itself comes out of your own pocket. I haven't heard of anyone successfully getting a third party insurer to pay for the exam.

Yes, the process is expensive and it does feel like they nickel and dime you since each part of the process involves more fees. This is not the place to try and cut expenses though because you want to get through this as quickly as possible and unfortunately, there aren't any shortcuts.

Good luck!

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

We spent more money on Immigration from March 2013 to June 2013 than we did on plane tickets for visits before then, the petition, and getting married.

You are just at the section of immigration where it costs you an arm and a leg. Fortunately it's at the end (until ROC.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your help! I know i am up to date on my vaccines (have to be for work) now i wonder if i have a record of that somewhere haha! Ill call my family doctor tomorrow and try and schedule for titers to be done.

Thanks again!

they take the longest to get the results back to you. plan the medical at least 2-3 weeks in advance.

Yikes! ok thanks for the heads up!

Check the local health clinic or where you got the vaccinations done.

Medisys in Montreal gets the results back in 3 days after medical. Medical cost me about $280 cash. Dunno if Montreal is closer to you or not. I think they can courier the results to you as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.